Author Topic: Re-Crowning the barrel  (Read 1960 times)

tocold6

Re-Crowning the barrel
« on: May 11, 2002, 08:58:01 AM »
I didn't know if this fits in "home" gunsmithing.  I'm not going to do it.  I friend of a friend who is a gunsmith looked at my CZ 75B the other day and told me the barrel needed to be recrowned.  He said he could not do it so I don't suspect he was trying to get some work.  

Could someone tell me what effect an "out of crown" barrel has on accuracy or anything else?

Walt-Sherrill

Re-Crowning the barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2002, 09:32:18 AM »
Depending on how badly its damaged, the bad crown can have anything from little noticeable effect on accuracy to a substantial effect, greatly degrading accuracy at longer distances.

If a gunsmith saw enough damage to say it needed work, you probably ought to get it done.   Check with your area gunsmiths.   It takes special tools and a little know-how.   Probably $25 - $50, depending on the smith.

(I can't imagine why a working gunsmith can't do the job himself, unless he just doesn't have the right tools.  It may be that his business is focused on long guns, and he doesn't have the right tool.)

And, more importantly, if you bought the gun new, you've got to figure out what you've done to damage the crown.  

The most likely cause of damage, is being careless with cleaning rods when cleaning the barrel.  

You should always clean the barrrel from the breech (back) end, to avoid damaging the crown with the cleaning rod, and be careful when pulling the tip or jag BACK for another pass.

tocold6

Re-Crowning the barrel
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2002, 07:51:25 PM »
Thanks Walt - The guy who looked at the gun just move up to Alaska from AZ.  Does not have all his stuff up here yet.  This gun has less than a thousand rounds through it.

The cleaning equipment I use is a brass brush and aluminum rods and I do rod from the breach end.

He did not say it was real bad but could effect accuracy.  The gun is very "combat accurate".  It's  not competation accurate nor did I expect it to be.  Unless the accuracy gets worse I do not plan to do anything.  With as few rounds as I have through the gun - I expect it to get better.

Are you familiar with the dots in the CZ and what they mean?