Author Topic: Don't buy Gun-Kote in a spray can.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline bps2799

Don't buy Gun-Kote in a spray can.
« on: June 09, 2002, 01:44:13 PM »
It is too hard to use properly (runs or powdercoats).

I re-did just my frame 4 times with this stuff, then just decided to spring for an air brush for $25 and order the 16oz. can from KG.

mark-smedley

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 10:37:33 PM »
You can get a Testor's airbrush kit in the toy section of walmart. It works fine and comes with a can of propellant for about $18. Mark

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 09:36:39 PM »
How far do you have to disassemble a cz75 pre b before using gun-kote (and baking the gun)??????

Also would using gun-kote or similar product lessen the collectible value of a pre b 75???

Thanks for the info,
CC.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 05:12:20 AM »
A pre-B has no COLLECTIBLE value.  They are sought after as great shooters, not as collector guns.

If it were a true collectible (its not), any modifiction -- and especially refinishing -- would detract from its collectible value.

I don't think a Gun-Kote finish would add to the value of any gun offered for sale, and it might (that's "MIGHT") lower its value if the finish was otherwise good before refinishing.

(Gun-Kote is a VERY GOOD, functional/utilitarian finish, but its use limits the options of the future buyer -- and increases refinishing costs if he or she wants a different finish.)  

I'd certainly think twice before buying such a gun--unless I were offered a substantial discount.

Offline bps2799

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 03:16:13 PM »
I stripped my gun down ENTIRELY, otherwise oil might be retained around pins, etc.  

I bought mine as a shooter and wouldn't think of buying the enamel guns w/ anything in mind but as shooters.   Blued is for collectors.

Mine will never be for sale, but I don't plan on modding it any beyond a better front sight, if I can find one.