Author Topic: Toning Down the Import Mark on the Frame  (Read 1800 times)

dleong

Toning Down the Import Mark on the Frame
« on: June 18, 2002, 08:51:39 PM »
Hello, all.

I thought I'd mention this as I recall reading somewhere on this forum about people not liking the laser-etched "CZ-USA, KANSAS CITY, KS" import mark on the right front of the frame: I was able to darken the lettering with Birchwood Casey's "Perma Blue" Liquid Gun Blue (applied with a Q-tip) to the extent that it is now, for all intents and purposes, virtually invisible. If I look *real* close at an angle, I can still see the *relief* of the lettering, but at normal viewing distances in daylight, the etched metal surface of the letters has been blued sufficiently to blend in with the surrounding black polycoat.

I did this with both my black polycoat 75B and 97B pistols; needless to say, this will *not* work with the satin nickel finished frames.

If you intend to try this, please note that I was using Birchwood Casey's "Perma Blue," which, from what I understand, is a fairly mild bluing solution. There's no guarantee that another brand of bluing liquid will not attack the polycoat.

DL

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 11:14:03 PM »
Beware; I have heard rumors that it is a federal felony to deliberately remove or make unreadable importation markings!

I'm not saying you are illegal, I'm certain that you are perfectly legal. I'm just being friendly and giving youa  word of forewarning.

Andy Out.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 06:26:07 AM »
As long as he doesn't REMOVE the import marks, he should be OK.  (Refinishing would have the same effect...)

Recoloring them -- and that's all he's doing -- does nothing except play tricks on the eye.