Author Topic: Re-tapping my grip screw threads  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Tbone

Re-tapping my grip screw threads
« on: June 20, 2002, 06:59:22 PM »
My gun was delivered to me with a stripped grip screw thread on the right side of the frame (Shipping and FFL fees are too expensive for returnng the gun, so I'm asking for a magazine as compensation for my slight defect) .  I would like to tap the hole to fit a 4mm .75 pitch screw (SIG P229 screw).  Should I be worried about the tapping process.  I'm assuming the steel isn't too hard, since it was stripped.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 05:55:57 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem,just make sure you have a # 30 drilled pilot hole (3.25mm),use some oil,a sharp plug tap,and keep it straight and don't be in a hurry:)

Good luck

Offline nvrquit

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 07:46:32 AM »
Tbone,

One other item to consider should you stay with the decision to use the P229 screw(s) as replacements for the CZ factory grip screws. The diameter of the grip screw head on the Sig P229 is 8.50mm, where as the CZ grip screw head diameter is 7.00mm.

You will eith have to alter the grip screw recess in the CZ's grip panel(s) or turn down the diameter of the head on the Sig grip screw(s).

One other detail. the length of the Sig grip screw(bottom/base of screw head to end of thread) is 2.90mm. the length of the CZ screw(same) is 4.70-4.75mm. Make sure the Sig will extend far enough through the grip panel to engage the thread in the frame with more than the first two or three threads on the grip screw. If not, stripping or constant grip screw loosening will most likely occur.

Offline arcom

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 01:18:43 PM »
What FFL fees? if you're returning it to the factory, there is no need to go through an FFL.  And if you remove the slide and grips, you CAN send it through the US mail for around $4 Priority.  The post office, just as UPS, does not consider a frame the same way the BATF does.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 02:42:14 PM »
Sorry, Arcom, but you've been mislead on this matter.  

The frame (receiver) IS the weapon. Taking the slide off doesn't make it less a weapon from the US Postal Service perspective.  

Indeed, if it were that simple, people would be sending guns in two packages all the time, by insured Priority US MAIL.  

DON'T SEND IT BY MAIL.  That's a potential felony!!

The postal regs say an individual (non FFL) can't send a handgun by mail.  Some military personnel can.  But even 03 FFL holders -- Curio & Relic licensees -- can't ship C&R handguns by mail!

There are no exceptions.  

You CAN send it by by UPS or FedEx to a licensed recipient without a FFL involved at the sending end, however, and that's probably the route to go.   The manufacturer is a licensed recipient (and has its own FFL).

The manufacturer can return it the same way to you, without FFL involvement on the receiving end.    

If you're friendly with a local FFL, however, that FFL can send it through the mail, and its about HALF the cost of sending it by UPS/Fedex.   Got a friendly FFL?  (I've shipped several guns that way, at about $12-$16 a gun.)

anything