Author Topic: Sphinx 3000 Competition Standard in caliber 40S&W  (Read 10476 times)

Offline comviren

Sphinx 3000 Competition Standard in caliber 40S&W
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:44:42 PM »
This is a Single Action version of the Sphinx 3000 with Bo Mar sights.  What can anyone tell me about this particular pistol and Sphinx pistols in general?

www.sphinx-shop.de/

Warning above link is in German.  I don't know any German.

www.sphinx-systems.ch/en/index_en.html

This their home page in English.

A lot of what I've read seems really one sided.  For example "Best out of Box Quality" Or "Swiss watch or Sphinx??? I can't choose No one seems to have any complaints?

What is it about a Sphinx pistol that justifies such a high price tag?

How do other SA 40cal pistols compare? Would I be better of with something else like the CZ Tactical Sports, CZ 75B SA, something from the EAA Witness competition line, or should I consider a non CZ clone pistol?

Sportshooter

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:25:02 AM »
I never seen one in person but they are supposed to be good.

But I would go with a CZ 75 TS .40S&W instead, its a great gun. Better trigger then my Sig P210 and a friends $2500 SVI.

Offline comviren

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 05:28:33 PM »
How is the Trigger better?  How good are the sights? Can I get better target sights installed? Why has CZ discontinued The IPSC Standard and make a new pistol that looks almost exactly the same save for minor differences in Clip Cap, and sights?

What are the big leaps in performance ST IPSC vs. Tactical Sports?  How do the Sphinx 3000 and CZ TS compare to other Sport CZ clones?

This is a pic of the Tanfoglio Limited from the company site.

Sportshooter

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 07:00:06 PM »
(while waiting for Angus Ill post my $0.2)

"How is the trigger better?" Hard to respond to not knowing what You used before.

What quality guns have You experience with, perhaps we can get the Tactical Sports in context for You.

In my opinion CZ Tactical Sports is a really good gun + if looking at the pricetag its even more so. Tanfoglio for me is rumors of malfunctions and cracked slides, perhaps old stories that no longer is relevant but there You have it.

Im sure Sphinx are great guns. A 1kg SA triggerpull and gun at hefty 1150grams sounds good to me. But from what Ive understood the come with a big pricetag. A plus though for the sights, BoMar is top of the line.

The only downside on the Tactical Sports for me was the big grip. Im a big guy but this was to much for me, thats why I went with the SP01. Now Ive learnt that www.strictlyipsc.com/matfakta.htm makes slim alu grips so that might not present a problem anymore.

Besides, if looking for a .40S&W SA gun theres a big leap from Sphinx 11 rounds to the Tactical Sports 17rds. What are You going to use the gun for?

Regards

/Sportshooter

(edit; spelling, what else...)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 09:02:55 PM »
Sphinx are mucho dinero as well, IIRC, a TS would be better value IMHO
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline comviren

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »
Quote:
"How is the trigger better?" Hard to respond to not knowing what You used before.

I will soon be the owner of a used CZ 75B that I'm getting from a friend of mine. I also plan to get the Kadet Kit to train with.

I don't like DA's so I'm going to have it smithed to SA.  Right now I some times shoot my Dad's 1911 which has a long cut trigger which is about 2.25 to 2.50lb with a little take up.

I plink around mostly with his High Standard 22. It too has a nice light trigger.

I have small hands and only like SA guns.  Once I practice and get good on the Kadet kit and 9mm, I want to get a 40cal and do informal competition maybe limeted-10, IDPA, IPSC I dont know yet.

Capacity is not a big deal. Price is but if each dollar is going to specific things in the pistol then its okay, Im not buying cause of brand name or for collections just shooting.

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 06:44:36 AM »
Except for the CZ-75B (in DA/SA or SA), none of the guns you're looking at are legal in IDPA. They are legal in some IPSC classes, but not all.  Probably not legal at all in other forms of competition.  

And if you've not competed much (or at all), you need to start out much less grandly.   The best analogy: you've never raced a sports car and want to run in a big race, so buy a ferrari.   Guys driving hot VWs will be lapping you for a long time to come, until you develop the right skills,  

Even after youlve gotten good at the basic, improved your skills, and bought better equipment, some guys will continue to outshoot you, running inferior equipment.  Some of the folks we compete against are just flat-out gifted athletes, with superb reflexes, good discipline, and are masters at not wasting a second or a movement.  (They put time-motion study experts to shame.)

In racing, having a hot car isn't enough.  So it is with competitive shooting.

Start with a good CZ-75B, maybe a DA/SA that has had the SA trigger tuned (you don't need to convert it to SA only, as it will work as a SA only gun.)  Maybe a comparable Witness, or the next step up for both lines.  

Note: a SA-only gun limits the division/classes you can compete in.  Nothing wrong with that, but understand all of the rules and requirements before you dive in, headfirst.  The water may be more shallow than you think.  Or there may be big rocks under the suface.

Get the proper holster and mag holders, glasses, and ear protection, and just shoot a lot in as many competitive matches as you can.  A year from now, take stock and look at moving up in equipment.   Others will let you try their guns, from time to time, and you'll learn what works best for you from experience, not buying/trying.

You may want to consider reloading, too, if you don't already do that -- as all of this gets expensive, and some loads may shoot better in your guns than others, and you can't always find what you want in the gun shops.

You're talking about a lot of time, a lot of money, and a big investment, both in time and ego.  Do it right and it'll be a lot of fun.

Offline comviren

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 06:17:59 PM »
Quote:
I want to get a 40cal and do informal competition maybe limeted-10, IDPA, IPSC I dont know yet.

Like I said I need more info/experience.

I cant stand DA pulls! I know that the CZ is selective DA/SA but DA is dumb I've shot both DA in autos and wheel guns, and I hate the long hard pull that is specifically designed to make the shooter jerk the shoot, Plus I will never CCW a pistol in general (because of laws) nor would even consider My target/comp pistol for that job.

The CZ 75 Champion is comped and I'm not interested in comps or porting. I've held one and yes it's cool because the CZ's fit my small hands but the rap around rubber grip was uncomfortable.

Quote:
Get the proper holster and mag holders, glasses, and ear protection

My eye glasses and dime foam plugs are not enough? LOL dose Sphinx make plugs for like a hundred times the right price?:lol

I still have questions about the CZ ST IPSC and the CZ TS.  Why did CZ discontinue the older model? Why isnt the CZ TS sold without adjustable target sights and a metal trigger.  If I bought the CZ TS what other upgrades are mandatory?

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 06:43:34 PM »
You need a good timer, too...

You don't frequently see adjustable sights on a competition gun.  Once the shooter finds a round or load that performs well, the sights don't get changed.  (Adjustable sights are just something that has moving parts that can go awry.

They put adjustable sights on the CZ-85 Combat so that the gun can have enough "points" under the ATF's import standards, to be imported.  They weren't put there becuase it makes for a better competition gun.  They gave up the firing pin block on the 85 Combat and had to give something back.

Compensation?  Many of the competition guns are comped.  IDPA disallows it, but the top-line guns frequently have it. Race guns are generally compensated.   Many (probably MOST) of the guns used in IPSC's fastest divisions use it, and loads are created to work best with the compensators.  

I don't like compensated guns, either, but I shoot only IDPA, with guns that I *COULD* use as a carry weapon.  Comp is not generally good for carry applications.

You, me, and many (perhaps most) of the folks reading here and responding are playing "sandlot" baseball, and you're talking about getting geared up to play in the "major leagues."  

The advantage of a DA/SA gun is that it will, if properly set up, let you compete in more than one discipline and more than one division.   Only the first trigger pull is DA, you know.  After that, its just like any other SA gun.  And with the CZs, if you have to have a DA first shot, you can start from the half-cock notch, which gives a shorter, lighter trigger pull.

Being able to shoot more frequently, in more clubs or competitions is important.  If you're trying to get experience, its critical.  Otherwise, you're going to be limited to competing against the "BIG GUYS" and it will be very, very difficult.  And Humbling.   A DA/SA that can be used either way is a nice feature.

Offline elsolo75

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 09:59:56 PM »
Comps are only allowed in one division in USPSA, open.

You will not be at a disadvantage shooting a regular plain Jane CZ-75B that had the trigger tuned and some better sights.

If you think you know what gear you will want for competition, without first shooting competetively for at least a year, your choices will be wrong and you will be replacing that gear anyhow. Just get started, save the big money for your second gun.

Offline comviren

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »
It's all pie in the sky stuff right now. The CZ 75B 9mm will also be my plinking pistol when I get the Kadet kit for it. At the same time one pistol is not enough for obvious reasons.

Know the second pistol I will eventually purchase will be used as a Target, Competition, and Range Candy gun.

All of the pistols I'm currently looking at are all SA 40cal CZ/ clones or 1911 types. I want adjustable sights there's no one load or bullet type that I shoot exclusively. I want a standard size or larger gun. No short comped, or long ported barrels and not even a threaded barrel because Canz are illegal in NY!!!

My list gradually being narrowed down but its going to be a while before the time comes and I want to look over as many pistols out there as possible.

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 08:39:38 AM »
Sphinx is a very nice gun but for the ame money as maybe 3 CZ or 2 customized CZ is it worth the extra?
I ask myself.
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline comviren

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 12:30:19 PM »
COOL!!! I final got your attention:D

I'm looking around and so far as Ive mentioned I like CZ/ CZ clones so far because of the ergonomics. I have small hands so allot of otherwise great guns fell too wide or the grip angle is all wrong... and so on.

I plan to start a new thread soon about what I should get upgraded on my CZ 75B 9mm.  I've herd of all this springs, hammers, and stuff but what makes each part so desirable?  

If so many here customize their CZ's why can't the factory make a better CZ 75? A CZ 75 enthusiast version with all or the most common upgrades that fans of the pistol get for their own guns?

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 06:01:04 PM »
Great Question
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 06:02:41 PM »
They don;t ahve the abiltiy right now to do the right work to the right guns so we opened the custom shop to do that here in the US. Eventually Custom Shop Guns will be avialble through CZ USA for general sale.
Angus Duhhhh!

anything