Author Topic: CZ-85 FTE, premature lock open  (Read 1706 times)

Offline LuckyPierre

CZ-85 FTE, premature lock open
« on: July 04, 2005, 07:15:31 AM »
Hi Angus, et al.

I apologize for this, but I need all the advice I can get, so I'm cross posting from the not-so-busy CZ-85 Combat club.  I'm having relaibility problems with my 85C.

The failure to extract:

The case is 1/2 way out of the chamber, and the slide is jammed bhind the next round, which has nosed forward to jam underneath the un-extracted case. It is NOT A DOUBLE FEED. The case is empty. I have already changed the extractor spring and extractor.

The Premature Lock Open:

The next round is forward of where it should be, and is pushing up the slide lock.

These problems have been solved in the past, I understand. The fixes I have planned are having the chamber polished for the FTE thing, and getting the Wolff +5% mag srpings, in spite of my complete disgust with each and every Wolff product I've tried in the past.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to fix these?

And before you suggest trying different ammo, plaese understand, I'm in Canada, and I have no ammo alternatives to white box and/or winclean.

Oh, and the winclean is FAR more reliable thatn the other stuff.

Thanks, folks.

Pierre

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:33:02 AM »
I'll leave this query here for Angus -- but Angus is a full-time professional shooter, and he visits here far less frequently than others in other forums.

The problems you describe are not unique to 85s or 85 Combats, but few members of the CZ forum have those guns.  So there's less traffic in the 85 Combat Club.  

The place to ask this question is the Home Gunsmithing Club or the 75B club.  (This is one of the reasons I don't like having so many "clubs": the same questions get asked in all of the club areas, or don't get answered at all, because the club has so few members.  

Solutions:

Stovepipes and misfeeds:

Clean your extractor.  Gunk buildup behind the extract means the extractor can't close firmly on the case.  That means it'll drop the round being  extracted before it hits the ejector.  Remove the extractor, clean out the cavity in the slide, and reinstall.  While the extractor pin should be removable from both directions, some folks have had problems, recently, driving the pin out from beneath the slide.  Drive it out from up top, if there's any real resistance to removing it. (You can use a nail, if its the right diameter.  Just cut off/blunt the tip to make it simpler.)

If there's no gunk behind the extractor in the extractor cavity, get an extra-strength extractor spring from Wolff.

Premature slide lock:

1) could be a weak slide stop spring.  Just bending it might help.

2) could be an out-of-spec slide stop.  That was the case with my 85 Combat.  But only if this was a problem from day one.  If it began later, its not the slide stop.  See 1) and 3).

3) weak mag springs.  If the new springs don't help, see 1), above.  CZ will send you a new spring, free, if your gun is still under warranty.   If this is a new occurence, its very likely weak springs.  (Even new factory springs sometimes seem weak.)   Wolff springs, as you propose, is the way to go.

Denis-Altuna

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 08:20:57 AM »
I had this kind of problems long time ago with a 85b model.
First, you should verify the extractor. There is differents model. One of them have 3 smalls points engraved. This model was done for police and is a very good one, who grip more the case at the extraction. Ask for this specific one.
When you will take off the extractor, put a second spring inside the other one. You will have 2 springs, and the extractor will be more tought (czech solution ). You can use the same small spring you have inside the fire pin secutity.
Then, on the slide stop, you can cut the part touching the mag folower, pushing it up at the last bullet engaged, and blocking the slide open. The slide will not be blocked at the last shot, but you will be still abble to keep the slide open manually if you want it.
One more thing, polish the transporter, the part under the slide pushing the new bullet in chamber. The slide is touching the ammo inside the mag while extracting and make the slide slower at the extraction. Czech people use to put special lip stick on their bullets, (sun protection for lips) to avoid also this kind of problem . The bullet lubricated is not pushed forward whe the slide is moving.

This can be strange but working perfectly.
Denis

Offline LuckyPierre

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:40:42 AM »
Denis, thanks very much for the advice!  I'll try all of that!

Denis-Altuna

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:08:30 AM »
gIVE NEWS

DENIS

Walt-Sherrill

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 04:07:29 PM »
Polishing the underside of the slide can have the same effect as lubricating the bullets.

Offline LuckyPierre

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 06:54:07 AM »
I'm in the mountains for some much needed RandR for the next two weeks, but as soon as I get back, I'm going to try all of your suggestions, Walt and Denis.

I'm going to get this gun running right if it kills me.  I've added a strip of skateboard tape to the front and rear straps, and have the CZ factory target sights that Angus sells on his sight.  I'm sticking with the factory plastic grips, also.

The gun I shoot the most accurately is a toss-up between my 85 and a Berreta non-vertec.  I like the manual safety position, and all around loveliness of the CZ more, so I'm completely comitted to gettign it running reliably.  Thanks for all the help, guys.

Pierre

ps:  I'll let you know how it works!

Offline jkushner1

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:05:38 PM »
The premature slide lock is not being cuased by your hands , whats happening, with both OFM CZ and MecGar mag is that the feeding bullet is hitting the internal lobe of the slide stop as it feeds into the chamber on cycling. The fix is to take a good quality file and take off material from this lobe - probably .20" thousandths to .30 thousandths. Your slide lock propblem will be solved. Dont take too much material or the mag follower wont puish up on the slide lock at empty mag and provide you a legitimate lock at empty mag. Notice any brass shaving in the gun lately ????
TY
Jon

:x :p :smokin |I

anything