Author Topic: Curious CZ 75B  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Gabe38

Curious CZ 75B
« on: June 11, 2005, 08:34:40 PM »
I just purchased a CZ 75B from a coworker, and it is nearly new in the box, with all the paperwork.  The curiousity begins here:
All numbers match, but the factory label indicates CZ 75 B 9mm Luger Black Polymer.  The pistol actually has an alloy frame, and the slide is marked CAL.40S&W.  The two magazines are 10 round capacity,with moulded plastic extensions to match the grip length.

Anyone have an idea what the heck I actually have?

Stasher1

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »
Does it look like this?

Offline Gabe38

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 05:37:09 AM »
No, it has a different, 3 dot sight and longer barrel & grip.

Walt-Sherrill

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 06:23:47 AM »
Sounds like the box is mislabled.

The new 75B compact has an alloy frame, and its available in .40 S&W.  The 40P is that way, too.   Slightly different slide on the 40P.  

All CZs come with three-dot sights, but the shape of the sights change from model to model.

You might find the gun shown on the CZUB website: www.czub.cz.  The latest guns aren't show on the CZUSA website.

Does yours have an accessory rail?

Does it have a decocker?

What year was it made?  (The date is shown in a small oval to the rear of the ejection port.)

If so, it may not have a longer grip -- but just looks like it does.   (The new SP-01 has a longer grip, but I think the frame is only available in steel, and they don't make it in .40, at least not yet.)

As far as I know, CZ never made an alloyed-frame full-size CZ.  (The 40B is almost fullsize, but its not purely a 75B model.)

Offline Gabe38

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 06:59:31 AM »
This gun does have an alloy frame, and it is not a compact.  It has no accessory rail nor decocker, and it was made in '99.

Someone in CZ's gunsmithing department emailed that this is likely a hybrid, made up of parts left over from the cancellation of a contract with Colt to produce a model Z 40.  They claim that this was never part of the original line and no mention of it in the catalog, but it is/was referred to as either model CZ 40B or CZ 40P.

The slide is plainly marked Cal. 40 S & W, but it has a 9mm luger barrel. My Documents\CZ75B" style="border:0;"/>

Make any sense to anyone?

Walt-Sherrill

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 07:12:04 AM »
I don't know if you have a COLLECTOR'S gun, but you certainly have a unique one.

Every now and then, CZ will screw around and let one of these type guns get loose.  (We saw a factory nickel-plated CZ-97B here, a while back, too. And there are some hybrid compacts around, too: full-size frames but "compact" slides.)

Enjoy it for its uniqueness.  Should be a pretty good carry gun, and much lighter than the standrd 75B.

Stasher1

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 07:47:14 AM »
Quote:
Someone in CZ's gunsmithing department emailed that this is likely a hybrid, made up of parts left over from the cancellation of a contract with Colt to produce a model Z 40. They claim that this was never part of the original line and no mention of it in the catalog, but it is/was referred to as either model CZ 40B or CZ 40P.

The gun in pic I posted above is a 40P. If it doesn't look like that, then it's definitely not a 40P. The 40B is similar (the 40P and 40B share the same slide) but has a straighter grip (more like a 1911) and a round trigger guard.

Offline Gabe38

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »
I stand corrected; This gun has a steel frame, & although all serial numbers match, the slide is stamped Cal. 40 S&W, but it has a 9mm barrel.  It looks identical to the CZ 75 shown on the cover of the instruction manual.

Walt-Sherrill

Curious CZ 75B
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 06:55:15 PM »
If that was a coin, it would be VALUABLE.  But because its a gun, its just a curiosity.  

Strange combination.

anything