Author Topic: how much oil after cleaning?  (Read 1010 times)

akscz75b

how much oil after cleaning?
« on: August 12, 2002, 10:34:11 PM »
Sirs:
I wonder about oiling my cz after cleaning. I am looking at the cz 75 manual.
Preserving
"When the barrel bore, cartridge chamber, and all accessable parts are clean and dry, wipe these parts with a cloth soaked in gun oil, or apply the oil in a spray. Remove all excess oil."
Does this mean spray oil on the inner workings of the frame, like around the rear of the trigger bar,sear, etc? I have some stuff called Outers in an aerosol. I don't want to overdo it, but I can't tell how much is too much. I just put a little on a patch and ran that through the barrel.
I have some other synthetic oil called EZ-1 for using on the frame/slide "rails", if that is what we call them. It's easy to apply, it's in a tube with a small pointy opening. Seems to work fine. I realize I am probably being a worrywart, but I don't want to damage anything.
Thanks in advance.

Offline ut83

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 05:32:11 AM »
It will take you a few times to get it just right.  My rule is when you put the gun together after its oiled..rack the slide and return it to battery.  After you do this, you should have a little oil dripping out of the back of the slide.  As far as the wiping down...I use CLP Break Free..just put a little on a rag and wipe your gun down...not dripping..just enough to collect the dirt and debry from shooting and so on.  Wipe any excess off.  Use the same CLP for contact points.
As far as the "contact" points.  When your gun is clean, dry and wiped down..put "1 tear drop" of oil on each slide rail and each frame rail..spread it around from end to end on each.
Now put the same drop inside the slide, where the barrel runs.
Spread it around also....how turn your slide upside down on the rear...under wear the mag goes and no tear drops here..just some on your finger and give it a little bit along
the middle rail..silver, flat, smooth and right in front of the hammer.  Put a tiny drop in the firing pin...spring assembly etc and finally a tiny drop in the extractor/spring assembly with the slide on its side...so it can work down into it.

I usually put a tear drop on the trigger pin...let it work down through the springs and such...inside the frame and another on the "hammer assembly"..when you oil these areas you can work them by pulling the trigger/hammer to work it in.
I also put a little from my finger, again no drops, along the frame and trigger bar...between the trigger and hammer...pull the trigger some more to work this in.  
I do the trigger, hammer and trigger bar areas first.  Work the oil in and let your frame sit...on a towel or something...just in case you used to much.  Then do the slide..inside, f/pin, extractor....let it sit for a minute also.  Wipe the inside of the slide down...a tad.  You don't want to much inside this area.
Just a "coating or film"...now put your slide together..with a drop on your spring guide rod also.  Let it sit...a second or two.  Wipe the excess from your frame...and oil the rails with a tear drop..like stated before..spreading it from end to end.
Wipe down your slide a tad..only excess comes off and hit your slide rails....put your gun together.  When installing the slide stop...use an oily finger swipe on the pin part of it...and put it in.  Now your done except letting it sit for about 10-15 minutes and wiping excess from all of the holes in your frame...safety, slide stop ect.....
You'll get the hang of it....remember..wipe it down good and use just a tear drop on "contact points" and a finger smear here and there and you'll be fine in no time...Shoot well

Glockguy-23

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2002, 10:25:52 AM »
.....or, spray everything (not the grips) with CLP and blow it out with compressed air, then wipe off all the excess... ;)

dleong

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 11:48:35 AM »
I use 15W-50 Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to lubricate my pistols. After disassembling and cleaning all relevant parts with Hoppes #9, I apply a light coat of Mobil 1 with a Q-tip on all moving parts and inside surfaces of the pistol (the exception being the slide rails, which get a coating of lithium grease applied with a toothpick).

I was using 5W-30 Mobil 1 for a while, but found it was too thin and had a tendency to "bleed" round corners and through holes onto the outside surfaces of the slide and frame. 15W-50 is thicker and stays in place better.

The best part? Mobil 1 costs just under $4 a quart. A bottle will probably last you a lifetime!

DL

HalbertSon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 01:48:11 PM »
I use the grease version of Wilson Combat's UltimaLube.

I do pretty much what UT83 said, except on my 75B I also finger smear the entire outside of the barrel (except the feed ramp) and smear a  tiny teardrop inside the the lug hole on the bottom of the barrel.

I also finger smear the pin of the slide release.