Author Topic: need help with shopping list...  (Read 1796 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
need help with shopping list...
« on: June 19, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »
Okay so I'm a newb. I'm driven to reload because of the high cost of ammo, and because I've been having a lot of problems with the factory reloaded ammo I'm getting at the range. In the past three weeks, in order, 2 fat rounds that got stuck, 2 duds, 1 case-head failure and got sprayed in the face, caught 2 fat rounds before a major match, 1 dud at same match, 1 too short, and upon inspection, i picked up two bullets from the same 'too short' box and was able to press the bullet into the case. Well, crap!

So I'm looking at a progressive loader - most, if not all, of the guys I shoot with use progressives. The ones with more money buy Dillon 650s, the ones with less, Lee progressives. I am the latter, so I'm choosing Lee. I shoot usually 2-3 times a week, 1-2 of those with my fiance. I shoot USPSA major 40sw, she shoots minor 9mm.  In terms of 'bullet allowances', I shoot up to 400 rounds a week, she shoots up to 200. I was thinking about a turret, but I really don't want to sit down for hours at a time loading ammo. I'd like to be able to sit down on a monday or friday night, and spend 2-3 hours loading the week's worth of ammo for the two of us.

I've also gone over to a friend's house and checked out his Lee setup - pretty nice and close to what I want. He has a Lee-1000 - he uses it as a single stage to decap his rounds, then heads to his TV and hand primes the cases, and puts them in a bin for later. When he loads, he puts another turret on his 1000 and loads his ammo. I will want to perform all those operations on one machine so I can do it all in one sitting, since my week is usually pressed for time.

That said, I'm strongly considering the Lee Load-Master. At $215 for a ready-to-use machine, it really can't be beat on price. Plus from what I hear, everyone I know who has a Lee is happy with theirs.

So here's my list from Midway USA:

1. Lee Load-Master with 40sw dies

2. Lee Case Collator

3. Lee 40 s&w factory crimp die

4. RCBS Media seperator bin

5. used scale from a friend or digital one from harbor freight where I'll get all my bins anyways

6. used vibratory tumbler from a friend

Is that about it, short of a bench, media, case lube, bullets, powder, and primers?

I'm not buying anything 9mm... yet. I want to learn how to do this first and screw up in my caliber first before I start loading hers up, lol.

Thanks guys!

(duplicate thread here)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »
Got Powder Measure?  You will need the Lee Autodisk Powder Measure if it is not included in your Press Package.
The Dual Disk Kit for the Lee AutoDisk is very handy for fine tuning loads.

Sounds like you have everything else on the list that you will need.

BTW, I had a Lee Loadmaster at one time.  Spent more time fixing it (priming system) than loading on it.  I now load on a basic Dillon 650, that is custom setup with Lee AutoDisk Powder Measures on the various Caliber Tool heads.  Given your current volume of shooting, you might consider trying to find a used Dillon 650!

Back when I competed in USPSA, I shot Major .45 ACP and Minor 9mm.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:15:06 AM »
have you considered the Dillon Square Deal? it is (or at least was) fairly inexpensive (especially if you can get one used) and works great. I don't like loading the primer tubes but otherwise it is plenty fast and reliable.

they have excellent lifetime warranties. I hate swapping out the caliber conversions, so if you can swing it then get 2!

Kelly

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:20:56 AM »
lol, i can't swing two machines. my budget is "under 500 for two calibers" and i think i can hit it with a lee load-master. and with the dillon stuff, it seems really expensive to change calibers. i looked at the $450 for a Dillon 650 and once everything totaled out for two calibers, i was sitting on top of $1300! ouch!

OK... I've got the following on my list:  

1. Lee load-master with 40sw dies  
  2. Lee 40sw factory crimp die  
  3. Lee case collator  
  4. Lee modern reloading book  
  5. Lyman max cartridge case gage 40sw  
  6. Frankford Arsenal impact bullet puller  
  7. RCBS rotary media seperator, because of the hood that closes it up as I turn the handle  
  8. Lee primer pocket cleaner  
  All from midwayusa.com for $330 shipped  

Things I'm getting used for cheap from a buddy:  

1. brass tumbler  
  2. precision scale  
  3. single stage press for practice  

Things I already have:  

1. misc. micrometers, calipers, wrenches  

Things from the store:  

1. plastic storage bins  
  2. bullet storage cases  
  3. hot shot case lube  
  4. walnut media from pet store  

... and finish building the bench once I get the press in for final measurements. Sound good? I think it's complete... Maybe I can slide everything in   well under $500? That was my original budget...

Offline Thren68

Re: need help with shopping list...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
I'm a huge Lee fan here.  Have tons of their dies and their wonderful Classic Cast press.

I also have a loadmaster for 45acp.  Never have gotten it set up correctly.  Bought it from another shooter who also never had it up and running for any period of time before something fouled up on it.  Usually the primer feed, but the bullet feed isn't anything to write home about either.

Did tons of research after getting the press.  All of it points to the same thing.  Get a Dillon and be done.  Grab a 550 or 650 from the Brian Enos site and get loading.  Especially for the amount of rounds you say you're doing a week. 

Offline Stuart

Re: need help with shopping list...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
Love my Dillon..
actually bought my 550 in late 80s..still running great..Dillon has sent every upgrade free of charge..they actually replace parts on my press this year at no charge.

anything