Author Topic: question on Meprolight Night Sights for P-01  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Norcalbohemian

question on Meprolight Night Sights for P-01
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
As a new P-01 owner, new CZForum member and longtime lurker here - I have followed all of the threads on Night Sites. Almost a month ago, I ordered a set of the Meprolights for the P-01 from CZ-USA, along with a couple of 10 round magazines (Yeah, I live in the motherland of Nanny Government - California.) Well, they sent out the sights and magazines for the full size CZ75. After contacting them about this, they shipped out the correct versions, with the provision that I send back the full size version when the correct ones arrive. They did, allowing me to compare the 2 versions of Meprolight side by side. They are very different, and yet not in the way that I had seen described. The height does not seem to be different between the two! The tritium lens and white surround are smaller on the Compact version - by about a third. The major difference is that the Compact version cantilevers the rear sight back from the bottom dovetail - taking the back edge of the sight to the very back edge of the slide - and directly over the notch in it where the hammer falls. The full size version sets the dots directly over the dovetail - slightly tapering upwards - with no overlap. The depth (front to back) of the Compact version appears to be exactly double that of the full size. The centering of the dots, as well as the size and depth of the channel between them, is identical. The sides of the full size version are rounded, and have TRU DOT printed on the right side. The Compact version sides are completely flat - with no marking. On the front sight, the Compact version again has a smaller tritium dot, even though the sight body is slightly taller than the full size one. The width is the same. The other slight difference is that the front (muzzle side) of the full size sight tapers from the slightly shorter top to the bottom., while the Compact version is a 90 degree angle and a straight drop. I am puzzled by the height changes on these Compact sights which, counter to the literature on the subject, seem to change the aim, while the full size ones don't! I chose the Meprolights over the Trijicon because of the availability of the Compact sights to NOT alter my aim. Perhaps the Trijicons are a better choice, after all. Should I send back both sets? Keep the full size ones? Any insights and comments would be appreciated! I have posted this question under the P-01 Club, where it was suggested that I ask the best, Angus!

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »
Not sure what two sets you are talking about pictures would be good?

All cz pistols have the height of the rear sight on the sight somewhere most underneath so it needs taking out.
CZ always use a 5.5mm high front sight, (measured from the base of the sight to the apex of the blade) so they zero the pistol on rear sight height, like 1 thru 6 most guns come with a 3 or 4 I think so whatever height rear sight you take off you want the same height to replace it. Assuming the gun already shoot POA.

What the sight looks like physically is a only a matter of preference.
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Not sure what two sets you are talking about pictures would be good?

All cz pistols have the height of the rear sight on the sight somewhere most underneath so it needs taking out.
CZ always use a 5.5mm high front sight, (measured from the base of the sight to the apex of the blade) so they zero the pistol on rear sight height, like 1 thru 6 most guns come with a 3 or 4 I think so whatever height rear sight you take off you want the same height to replace it. Assuming the gun already shoot POA.

What the sight looks like physically is a only a matter of preference.
Angus Duhhhh!

Offline Norcalbohemian

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
Hi Angus!
Thanks for the quick reply. Pardon the poor photography on these images - as they were taken in bright sunlight with no fill lights. These are of the two sets of Meprolights sent to me by CZ-USA. In all pictures the unit on the left was labeled as for the CZ 75 / 85 - Full Size, while the unit on the right was sent out next as the correct one for the Compact or P-01. The two sights are clearly very different. The One on the left has the CZUB logo stamped on the top left of the rear sight. The one on the right has the letters C Z stamped on the underside of the rear sight. My basic question here is - which sights are correct and that I should keep? As the full size sights pictured on the left seem to, size wise, exactly match those supplied on my P-01, I am puzzled as to why those labeled as FOR the Compact or P-01 would be so different - in both front sight height and line of focus of the rear sight. As the sights were packaged in unmarked little plastic bags - could this possibly be a mis-shipping situation? Your take on the Meprolight Vs Trijicon choice would also be appreciated. Thanks again for your kind help!

Offline angus hobdell

• CZ Custom
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »
I think the simple answer is they could both be correct, its if they zero or not that why we need to look at the various heights.
the ones on the left obviously sit higher off the slide because the front sight is a different height ie higher. so the question is are the 2 sight "relatively" the same height or not.

Simplest would be to measure them and then fit the set you prefer and see whee the gun shoots?
Angus Duhhhh!

CZheiner-czechpistols82792

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
NorCal...what did you decide to do? I also want some NS for my P01 (to make it feel/shoot/look like my SP01 Tactical). I am leaning torward the NS from Angus for $50. How much were yours, and do you plan on installing them yourself?

Why does the front sight on the right have a slot for the retaining pin, and the left does not?

http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=383&osCsid=37c7cfb7904135803e0dccb199b287b4

PS-I feel your pain bro, from a fellow Kalifornian!

Offline Norcalbohemian

Re: question on Meprolight Night Sights for P-01
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Hi CZheiner,

I ended up choosing the Meprolights, based entirely on my aging eye sight! The Tru Dot Meprolights have a substantially larger dot, and I found that I could see it better both in daylight and at night. Twenty years ago, the smaller dots would have been more than fine for me, and perhaps better, as the smaller size allows more precise alignment. It seems that the 2nd set of sights that CZUSA sent me, the ones with the cantelered body, were listed on the order form as "PT Tritium Night Sights". They may be using the Trijicon tritium capsules in their own body. I  finally found a gunsmith in the SF Bay area willing to install. One gunsmith wouldn't work on the CZ. It ended up costing $35 and a week and a half wait - with an hour drive and bridge toll each trip! It turns out that the front sight does need that retaining pin slot - and the gunsmith had to cut one. So far, I am very happy with the Meprolights. They are very bright at night!   

anything