Author Topic: Tough Slide Stop Removal  (Read 6115 times)

Offline RbtMartin

Tough Slide Stop Removal
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »
Okay guys!
I shoot and clean my P01 everytime I go to the range, which is almost every week. Does it ever get any easier removing the slide stop. I always have to use the corner of the magazine to get it out?

If doesn't get easier, does someone have a better method than chewing up the corner of the magazine?

Walt-Sherrill

Tough Slide Stop Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:29:52 AM »
I drive mine out from the other side, with the hard plastic handle of a screwdriver.  A brass punch probably probably work, too.

(Most of mine come out pretty easily, on my CZs.)

Offline twotap

Tough Slide Stop Removal
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 01:04:27 PM »
I use the handle of a screwdriver as well and though it may sound a little odd I insert into the open ejection port the tine off a deer antler that holds the slide back in the right position for removing the slide stop.:)

Offline jimmy2

Tough Slide Stop Removal
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34:20 PM »
I tap the stop with a small, nylon-faced hammer from Brownells. Works well and does no harm.

Offline disintegratinglinks

Re: Tough Slide Stop Removal
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
I'm also having a tough time with slide stop removal. I've got a new 2012 marked P-01 with a couple hundred rounds through it.

It really requires a tool to push the pin through. And then, once it's through, it takes a LOT of force to pull it out with my thumb and fingers. I actually need a small pin punch to get it all the way out.

It shouldn't be this tough, should it? I just watched a YouTube video of CZ-75 takedown, and the guy just pushes it through with his thumb and pops it right out. Takes him seconds, not minutes.

So, what gives? Should I try polishing the slide stop pin to smooth the takedown?

Offline bang bang

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:07:23 PM »
i have some CZs that i can push out with my fingers and some CZs that i use the plastic handle of a small screwdriver that are handed out.

afaik, it doesnt get easier either.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
i have some CZs that i can push out with my fingers and some CZs that i use the plastic handle of a small screwdriver that are handed out.

Out of 3 CZ's, one I easily push out with my finger, one I push out with my finger difficultly, and one I have to use a hard object to get it out.

I don't know if you could polish the ends of the slidestop if it would make any difference.  I don't think you could do anything with the retaining spring in the frame either, but those would be the first two areas I would look at.

I'd try it myself, but I'm 120 miles away from my CZ's right now.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »

Out of 3 CZ's, one I easily push out with my finger, one I push out with my finger difficultly, and one I have to use a hard object to get it out.

I don't know if you could polish the ends of the slidestop if it would make any difference.  I don't think you could do anything with the retaining spring in the frame either, but those would be the first two areas I would look at.

I'd try it myself, but I'm 120 miles away from my CZ's right now.

to me there are other more important things to deal with then a difficult slide stop.  its not like i have to make a tool everytime to do the job.  i just need to use one and they arent that far away when i do need them.

Offline 1saxman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
Yeah, mine's tight as a tick too. It's like you need to be a bleep octopus to hold the slide at the magic spot while wiggling the stop lever with one hand while trying to knock the pin in with the.....? I guess someday someone will compile all the funny ways we have of getting it done. I put the muzzle against an object and push to hold the slide at the takedown point while trying to pop the pin and wiggle the lever. I have a plastic bin on top of the gun safe with a few tools/supplies, and one thing I use a lot is half of a wood clothes pin. You just take one and twist it to separate the two sticks, which are very useful when you don't want to scratch what you're working on. I just use a corner of the small end to pop the pin through enough to get a grip on the lever. Yes, it's possible to do, but not fast or smooth like taking down a 1911 with just bare hands.
But one thing is for sure - the pin will never pop out by accident.

Offline Cesar

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:56:15 AM »
It'll be easier after you shoot 2K rounds or so. You can use sandpaper too, but why?
After 1500-2000 rds it'll be easy (to most) to push it out with thumb.
And then you can slam mag into gun and slide stop will release slide too - very handy with competitive or fast-er shooting.

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »
Ball point pen does the trick for me.
I have a IMI baby eagle that needs no tools.

On a side not the P-01 has a nice divot that keeps the tool (pen tip) centered, my kadet stop does not have this.

Offline bozwell

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »
I usually use the rubber end on a small gunsmith's hammer, but if that's not handy, a rubber-based mag does the trick quite well. 

Offline disintegratinglinks

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
Cesar, thanks for sharing your experience with me. As I suspected, I probably just need to shoot this gun in a little bit - then it will loosen up. I'm hoping to do that this weekend.

What did people do in the days before online forums?

Offline Spirit 1

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
For my part I wish it was checkered or dimpled or something to prevent whatever tool is used from slipping and marring finish. Hasn't happened to me, yet, but I can see it's possible.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:04 AM »
I agree with saxman, thought I was the only one trying to juggle the gun trying to get the slide stop out.
Cesar's suggestion of more rounds through the gun makes sense and works for me. I feel their must be a right way
to hold the gun to make this whole thing happen smoothly.
Richard
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot