Author Topic: Tough Slide Stop Removal  (Read 6164 times)

Offline hAkron

Re: Tough Slide Stop Removal
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »
There is a spring that captures the notch on the slide stop. 
Part #3
http://czcustom.com/cz75sp01partsdiagram.aspx

Depending on the down pressure of that spring is how easy the slide stop is going to come out.  As others have stated, it's hard on some guns nd easy on others.  The manual shows using the base ofth magazine to do it, but some of the used CZs I've picked up have major scratching of the finish in that area, so be kind to the gun and use something that won't scratch!!

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »
I received my PCR stop today for my Kadet kit and was playing musical slide stops. Everything swapped pretty easily.
P-01 stop= easy with dimple to push on stop
PCR stop in kadet= easy as it protrudes out far enough to use a flat surface to get it started.
Kadet= easy too bad it does not work with my P-01

Note to self remember to remove the magazine first as it does not come out with a magazine in the gun ....... :-[

Offline jabbathebum

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Ha ha I totally forgot to remove the magazine once. I felt like such an idiot. One of my neutered 10rd mags has a nice bit of battle damage on the plastic base from it.

Offline RodE

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
I just bought my first CZ.  It is a new compact with the steel frame.
I have not yet fired it.  I am just tinkering around to become familiar with it.
I replaced the plastic guide rod with a stainless steel one just because I thought it looks better!   ;D

My only problem (so far) is removing and then reinserting the slide stop for field stripping.  I am all thumbs and my hands
are slippy!!!! :'(

I think I have found a solution:

First remove the magazine.
Put the hammer on half cock.
Pull the slide back until it meets the half cocked hammer and cannot go further.  This aligns the takedown notches on the slide
and the frame.
While holding the gun frame and the pulled back slide together with my left hand, I brace the heel of the gun against the table directly in front of me.
Then with my right hand I lightly tap the slide button with the plastic head of my small hammer.
The slide comes through the frame easily.  Sometimes I have to give it a further gentle nudge with a brass punch.

Reinserting the slide stop still is a little tricky for me.  Seems like I have to jiggle the slide on the frame to match up the notches in order to push the stop back in.  Sometimes the stop needs a little encouragement with the head of my small hammer.

This is my first posting.  I sure would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
I just use the top surface at the corner of my desk or other hard surface that won't get scratched or dinged. Since the end of the stop sticks out I just have to press down on the gun with that side down and it pops out enough that I can pull it the rest of the way with my fingers. Works for my PCR and 75BD.

Edit to add that of course I'm holding the slide back to align the marks as I do it.
Also, to reinstall I just set the pin in aligned with the holes while holding the slide back and then smack it in with the heel side of my closed fist.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:10:43 PM by gwvt »

Offline TheRedlines

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:36 PM »
There is a spring that captures the notch on the slide stop. 
Part #3
http://czcustom.com/cz75sp01partsdiagram.aspx

Depending on the down pressure of that spring is how easy the slide stop is going to come out.  As others have stated, it's hard on some guns nd easy on others.  The manual shows using the base ofth magazine to do it, but some of the used CZs I've picked up have major scratching of the finish in that area, so be kind to the gun and use something that won't scratch!!

My first attempt at making the slide stop easier to remove was based on this thinking. I simply bent the spring a hair so it didn?t have as much pressure on the notch in the slide stop. It seemed to work perfect..... until the next time I was able to shoot it.

Once I was able to test fire it, I found it would sometimes lock the slide back before the mag was empty. I turns out that little springs pressure is what keeps the slide stop down and out of the way until the stronger spring of an empty magazine over powers it and locks the slide open.

After returning the spring to it?s original shape and strength i found the better option was to reprofile the notch on the slide stop with a small file so that it ramps away rather than such a positive bight. Click the link to see how I reprofiled it. It now can be removed with just the pressure of my thumb or finger yet is retained while I want it to be. The slide also locks back once the magazine is empty and not one round before.
https://m.imgur.com/a/hm7jpya
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:22:47 PM by TheRedlines »

Offline Ichi-San

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
What this video on how to modify the slide stop to make it easier to remove and install...

Offline RodE

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
Many, many thanks!!!!!!!

Offline benjf1

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
After 1,380 rounds through my CZ75 Compact the slide stop removal is the same. Like others here, I just use the end of a screwdriver to knock it flush with the frame and then just wiggle it out with my fingers. I find it's pretty easy to line up the marks by putting my index finger in the trigger guard and pushing the muzzle end of the slide back with my thumb (just make sure it's unloaded of course).

Offline RodE

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »
I draw the slide back until it contacts the arm of the half cocked hammer.  The notches on the slide and frame then become automatically lined up.  I then hold the slide and frame in this position with one hand and lightly tap the slide stop pin in (and out) with the other hand.

Does anyone agree????

Offline thedude

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
I draw the slide back until it contacts the arm of the half cocked hammer.  The notches on the slide and frame then become automatically lined up.  I then hold the slide and frame in this position with one hand and lightly tap the slide stop pin in (and out) with the other hand.

Does anyone agree????

Instead of tapping the slide stop out try just applying pressure to it (with anything non marring) when you have the notches lined up, pops in and out for me easy as pie!

Offline RodE

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
HURRAH!!!!!

I cautiously filed the top surface of the stop's shaft that slides under the spring in the frame!!  I gently filed and fitted the stop under the spring several times to get it a gentle but firm resistance.

I am very pleased with the result.   ;D ;D

I still need a tap with the nylon head of a hammer, and then a slight nudge with a 1/8" diameter wood dowel to push the stop out.  That is the way I would prefer to have it work.

I can then push the stop back in with a firm thumb push.

Thanks again for the information!!!!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:17:11 AM by RodE »