Author Topic: CZ-40b Roll Call!  (Read 61414 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
Re: CZ-40b Roll Call!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:20 PM »
Does anyone own both a 40b and a RAMI in 40sw?

Offline Tank CZ40B

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 12:47:53 AM »
Just bought my first gun, and I made it a CZ-40b. It took me a while to do the research on all the guns I was looking at, and I got it down to three; The Glock-17, Ruger-P95, and the CZ. After going to the local gun show here in Cleveland, I was able to handle all three guns and found that the CZ had the best feel in my hands and had some really nice movements. Like I said, I have never owned a gun nor have I ever fired one, so when I got home and found out that I picked up the 40 S+W version and not the 9mm one, I was a bit shocked. 1. I didn't know they made a 40cal. version of the gun, 2. I thought that the "kick" of a bigger bullet would make for a harder shot, and 3. once I found out what I had, I did some research and found that they had some problems with the bigger bullets.

So after handling the gun all day and getting a feel for it, I had put two of the three worries to rest. I'm glad I have the extra power of the 40 cal., and after reading some of the messages here and on other sites, I found that reliability on this gun is on par with guns of the same capability. I have not had a chance to fire this bad boy yet to see how hard it is to fire, but I have also read that this is not a problem either. I'll write a message next week and let all of you know what I think of the gun after I have fired some rounds. If you have any comments on some of the worries I had expressed, I would love to hear what you have to say. I would also like to know what you guys think is the best bullet for this gun as far as accuracy goes.

Talk to ya later.
Tank

Offline dleong

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »
Just bought my first gun, and I made it a CZ-40b. It took me a while to do the research on all the guns I was looking at, and I got it down to three; The Glock-17, Ruger-P95, and the CZ. After going to the local gun show here in Cleveland, I was able to handle all three guns and found that the CZ had the best feel in my hands and had some really nice movements. Like I said, I have never owned a gun nor have I ever fired one, so when I got home and found out that I picked up the 40 S+W version and not the 9mm one, I was a bit shocked. 1. I didn't know they made a 40cal. version of the gun, 2. I thought that the "kick" of a bigger bullet would make for a harder shot, and 3. once I found out what I had, I did some research and found that they had some problems with the bigger bullets.

So after handling the gun all day and getting a feel for it, I had put two of the three worries to rest. I'm glad I have the extra power of the 40 cal., and after reading some of the messages here and on other sites, I found that reliability on this gun is on par with guns of the same capability. I have not had a chance to fire this bad boy yet to see how hard it is to fire, but I have also read that this is not a problem either. I'll write a message next week and let all of you know what I think of the gun after I have fired some rounds. If you have any comments on some of the worries I had expressed, I would love to hear what you have to say. I would also like to know what you guys think is the best bullet for this gun as far as accuracy goes.

Talk to ya later.
Tank

Tank,

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on the acquisition of your first firearm (and a 40B at that!).  ;D

Actually, the 40B currently comes only in a 40S&W version--a 9mm version is not available, though a few people (myself included) probably wouldn't mind picking one up if it were available.

In terms of reliability, the 40B is generally considered to be the most trouble-free handgun in CZ's lineup, so you shouldn't have much to worry about there.

You mentioned that this was your first handgun, but have you had the opportunity to fire one previously? If not, you might find the recoil of the 40B a little snappy, but it's not something that you can't get used to eventually with a little practice and a good grip. If the opportunity avails itself, I might suggest borrowing a 9mm pistol and putting a couple of magazines' worth of ammo downrange just to get used to recoil, before shooting your 40B. A suggestion, but not really necessary.

As for what's the best commercial ammo for the 40B, I'll wait for some of the others in this forum to chime in with their suggestions, as I've only ever shot my own reloads through my 40B.

Let us know how your first range outing with your 40B goes. And again, welcome to the Forum! 

Offline gunControl

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
yea, me too, first gun.
the 40b does not come in a 9mm, that's why it's a 40b
It's good sign for me when I get something and like it better after I got it, 40b is like that.

have you looked up the info in the wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_S%26W
kinda interesting

one problem I have is I need to keep a good grip on the gun, I guess it needs the back pressure to cycle the cartridges properly. That's my problem, not the 40b's Shooting looks very simple on the surface, then you find out it's quite a skill that takes study and lots of practice.

I am sue these guys will say for the best round "roll your own" All I have used so far are the Wal-Mart white box cartridges 155 gr I am not much of a shooter but they seem to be reasonable and the best price I have fond on off the shelf ammo. The cost of the ammo is the only reason I would like to get a Kadet  then I could plink all day for $20 but it's not the same thing as a 40 caliber going off. I have snap caps, but my kit came with plastic practice shells. Be sure to use the practice shells or snap caps when you are dry firing. I have read posts about the firing pins breaking off from dry firing. But most folks will tell you it's safe to dry fire the gun. I figure, best to be safe.

I really like my 40b, I can't say it's the best gun, but it is the best gun for me.

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
commercial ammo for general use:

winchester white box is reasonably priced and runs 100%
blazer brass is reasonably priced and runs 100%

defense ammo***:

speer gold dots: ran lots of rounds, it seems to do well, has a high power factor
winchester personal protection: half the cost, runs no problem, more manageable recoil

*** your mileage may vary; always test defensive ammo with your gun.

Offline SDeadeye

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 11:53:40 PM »
Here's my 40B that I picked up a month or two ago.  I've got probably 500 rounds through it now and never had a problem of any sort.  I shoot mostly Blazer Brass and some Wolf through it.  I have a Fobus SP11B paddle holster for it, but I'm thinking about looking for a good IWB holster that will fit the 40B well.  It's kind of dirty in the pictures, I had just had it out on a prairie dog hunting trip right before I took the pictures.

Offline dave329

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
No pic to post of my bone stock one yet, but chiming in on the ammo above, i use the federal hydra shok ammo just fine. No issues with it at all so far. BUT then again the thing has ate everything i put in it. The federal was just my choice for carry ammo. Bein as in my area its what the law enforcement use, which is always a good idea if you ever find yourselfe needing to use it. The dealing with the court systems would be easier if you use the same ammo as thoose that protect us!

Offline Otto N Sure

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
Darn! I missed this thread years ago!!  Here's mine with custom Texas Mesquite laser engraved grips:

Otto

Offline jdgray

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Old thread, new to me CZ40B  05 dated
Done all the CZ mods that all my CZs get including: Remove all FP safety parts, Lower hammer hooks & lessen the positive angle, install 15# hammer spring, polish strut. Superb DA trigger, with 3# SA pull.

Offline sig2009

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
Old pic but I had the CZ Custom Shop do a competition hammer install. reduced mainspring and extended firing pin.

Since Criminals will always have guns, there’s no reasonable expectation of self-defense if law-abiding citizens don’t have them, too.

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
I miss my 40b so much :'(

Sent from this thimgy using tapawhatzit
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline SwampYankee

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
Does anyone own both a 40b and a RAMI in 40sw?

Asked 3 1/2 years ago but never answered, I have both of them.  I think the RAMI looks cooler but the 40B is easier to shoot and more accurate- mostly because of the size.

Offline slohand77

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
Nice pics of all the 40B's . I just picked up my 2nd CZ this weekendat the Tulsa gun show. Im new to the forum, so I still need to figure out how to post up pics of both of my CZ'S...CZ40P AND CZ40B...GREAT GUNS.
If your not first,your last....

Offline slohand77

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
  CZ 40B with paper work from factory of colt z40..

my CZ 40B i picked up at the Tulsa show this past weekend.
If your not first,your last....

Offline MedicMan218

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 02:04:36 AM »
My lighting sucks but here are a couple I just took.
Regular ol 40B with XS Big Dots, some grips a coworker made for me and a custom holster from Adams Leatherworks.

Pictures provided by Eric at Adams Leatherworks.

CZ 40B .40 cal
Charter Arms Mag Pug .357 Mag
Colt MK IV/Series 80 Mustang .380 cal

anything