Author Topic: 2008 Georgia State Championships  (Read 3773 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
2008 Georgia State Championships
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
Well, there's a long saga about how several factors played into my performance this year from ammo, near freezing temperatures, and scoring errors. At first I thought I took 1st place in Limited-10, but after failing chrono with a really bad lot of factory ammo and scoring errors that were uncovered, I was switched to minor power factor and lost to another shooter by 690 to 686. Oh, to have one less mike or a few seconds off of the dead freezing cold stage 7... This was my last shot at winning a trophy for my first year of playing with guns, from picking up my first CZ and going "What's this?" back in March. Looks like I'll be finishing the year off hanging out in C-class winless, but oh so close, so many times.

Here's the vids! There's a shorty story/commentary with each video on the youtube page as well.

Can't believe I locked my holster after making ready... and then a fat round jam right away! Haha!

Bleh, hesitation (waiting for steel to fall) will kill you! Lesson re-learned: don't wait for the fall, listen for the ping!

X-factor Standards, string 2. I got advice about 2 minutes before my run on how to shoot it better. Lesson learned: stick to the plan. Although the new plan was better, the old one was ingraned into memory, and I ended up getting confused and wasting time.

CM 99-21 Mini Mart. I'm a Limited-10 C-class shooter. I got 1 charlie, and 1 of my alphas grazed the no-shoot line on the left target. With the no-shoot, I was down 6 points and scored a 61.7% Had the shot been 1/16" to the right, it could've been 74.6%! What a difference, doh! Then at the chrono station I discovered my ammo didn't make major. Then It settled in at a final 59.2%, which is better so I stay in C-class. :)

Gun is a home built CZ-40b set up with a tuned SAO trigger group, spring set, and my own grip panels. [

I'm too fat to run down the center, so I took a gamble and shot everything from the rear of the stage.

"The stage that cost me the match." I think I rushed it. I really pushed the mags to the limit and ran dry twice. My accuracy was way off on the steel in the back. In retrospect I should have slowed it down a little and taken the steel first.

With the sun rising over the back end of the berm, it was difficult calling the shots on this one. You can see I hesitated really bad in the end. In retrospect I should've let off the extra ensurance - the bravo instead of the mike would've made the point difference for for first place if I had make it up immediately. Lesson re-learned: pull quickly if you're not sure.

So I took first place in the 2008 GA State Championships this year... until this happened. The reason why I shot factory ammo is a long story.

I got 400 rounds to use the morning of the match. Out of 400, I had about 80 from the first 300 that needed a ride through my factory crimp die to bring it down to size after the first day of the match. On day 2, the last stage for our squad was the chrono. We tried everything.

First attempt was 150. Next attempt in vain in this video was 153, haha! I know it's not the gun - I borrowed ammo that made 170PF in a 5" Para, and it made 169PF in my 4.5" gun.

When the state match scores were announced, they thought I took first place. But after the ceremony, something just didn't feel right. Once the scores were posted, I noticed they had mistakenly entered me into the system as major, not minor. I called it to their attention and I believe I should be bumped down to second. Unfortunately, no trophy for second. FAIL! :)

Thanks, Atlanta Arms!

Shot it smooth. Not sure how I got a mike on one of the close-up targets at the top end, it was only 5 feet away! Crap! Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:16:37 PM by burningsquirrels »

Offline Canuck44

Re: 2008 Georgia State Championships
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »
Very smooth shooting I must say.  Well done.
Your reloads and mine having nothing in common...mine are timed by a calendar. :(

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline cztt45

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »
I enjoyed watching, thank's for posting. ;)
if it flies it dies, if it runs it's done.

Offline ESP85C

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
Nice man. Do you shoot any IDPA suff. I will be up that way in May shooting the Cherokee IDPA Wheelgun Championship.

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:04 PM »
nope, idpa just isn't my flavor at the moment. plus, there aren't a lot of matches here. the few that are, are usually overrun by 2 or more ipsc events, lol.

Offline ESP85C

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:39 PM »
Thats cool. See all that is around here is IDPA. I have to go out of state if I want to shoot USPSA other then are local club match. Are you shooting a 75b in a 40.

anything