Author Topic: Best price on a complete reloading set-up  (Read 4558 times)

Offline twoguns

Re: Best price on a complete reloading set-up
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 09:02:30 PM »
Howdy Mr. PTF18,

Well sir, just my opinion for sure, but everyone would/should want to reload if they were as "smart" as us reloaders are  ;D ;D ;D .

I do think Mr. Rfwobbly1 raised a very valid point about buying your brother a set up too.  When I was on load to the FAA as as Air Marshall, immediately after 9-11, I was sitting in a motel room on the opposite side of the country, making a ton of overtime.  I decided I would buy my older brother a Dillon 550B, along with all the nice add on to have with it. 

I called Dillon back in AZ from GA, made the purchase, and they were kind enough to show my brother as its owner, and shipped it to his office address.  I called his secretary and she agreed to swipe the boxes as soon as they arrived, and hide them until their last day at work before Christmas. 

He was totally shocked with his gift.  I got the reloading bug in part from watching/helping big brother reload ammo using first a Lyman hand tool press, and then a single stage unit.  I was amazed that folks could really make their own bullets to shoot, and even more shocked when we went out and they actually went bang for us  ;D .

I made it to my mother's house the week after Christmas, helped him mount the press, and took him to a gun store to buy some projectiles, powder and primers.  Then we sat and home for a few hours and I showed him how to load with the Dillon.  We joked that little brother was showing big brother how to reload now. 

Sadly he still has not had the chance to shoot up all the rounds I loaded for him that weekend.  I keep telling him he needs to.  So he has not needed to reload any since that first weekend.  When has really surprised me.  I thought with the ability to reload once again (he had given all of his equipment away), he would begin to shoot much more like he once did in the old days.  But life has kept him from doing that.

Maybe a nice wrapped box with a note inside saying this note entitles him to x number of 9mm rounds.  But he simply has to be visiting you for them to be loaded.  Then you can talk to him more about reloading.  If he seems to have been bitten by the bug then, there is always his birthday, or a second, late Christmas present.

On the other side of the coin, given the real possibility of future gun control measures, which could certainly affect ammo and reloading components this time around too, now may be the ideal time to give your brother in law such a nice gift.

Sort of a coin toss really sir.

Either way - the note or the system, he still has a brother in law he can be thankful for in my view.

twoguns

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Relaoding as a present
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
I guess my point is this: You simply never know.

Although your sentiment is admirable, you just never know. Your brother-in-law might love to reload, might be wishing and hoping to, but your sister may not "want that mess in her house".

I'm in the same situation with a close friend I've known for 15 years. He's a NRA Life member. For his Christmas, I bought some 100 round plastic ammo cases, filled them with reloads, and told him to enjoy and bring back all the empties. He'll love it. At some point he'll want to see me or (better yet) help me reload those. Then he'll start thinking of reloading his own. I'll sit back and let him work though the family dynamics.

My entry cost was about $40 for everything. That's a cost point where no one's gonna feel bad about anything. But the most comforting thing is, eventually I'll see those empties again.... and have another "go" at it.

In the interim... I'll be glad to be your stand-in brother-in-law. I'd like a Dillon 650 for Christmas. You could feel really good about that!

;D
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything