Author Topic: Pre-flight safety checklist...  (Read 5296 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
Pre-flight safety checklist...
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »

Ok...So I had been mulling this for a while. After reworking my sear recently, I proceeded through my pre-flight checklist. I thought it'd be good to post up the steps I take to make sure the gun is working post-surgery before a live fire trip to the range. Perhaps you guys can add, subtract, or modify what I list here...

Begin with firearm field stripped down to frame, slide, guide rod, recoil spring, with no magazine.

1. Frame check.
a. All parts present and lubricated accordingly?
b. All pins installed and seated correctly?
c. Grips installed and seated correctly?

2. Action check.
a. All parts present and lubricated accordingly?
b. Check DA action if applicable.
   i. Verify trigger bar disconnects from the sear.
c. Check SA action if applicable.
   ii. Cock hammer, verify SA hooks and sear face.
      a. Hammer cocked, slap hammer backwards to simulate the slide cocking the hammer. Hammer hooks should land without slipping off the sear, or vice versa.
      b. Hammer cocked, attempt to tap hammer foward and check for hammer hooks sliding off the sear, or vice versa.
      c. Hammer cocked, hold the hammer and pull trigger slightly to allow the SA hooks to pass; release the trigger and allow the hammer to fall to the half-cock notches. Verify half-cock notches don't slip off the sear or vice versa.
      d. Verify trigger bar continues to disconnect again.
      e. Hammer cocked, slowly pull the trigger while watching the hammer from the side. Ensure that when the sear lifts, the hammer does not move foward before being released. Check for neutral (straight drop) or positive (hammer cams backwards) sear engagement.

3. Safety check.
a. Manual safety models:
   i. Ensure the safety positively engages the sear with the hammer cocked.
   ii. With the safety engaged:
      a. Pull trigger, verify that the sear doesn't budge.
      b. Manually attempt to lift sear off SA hammer hooks with a pick. Verify sear doesn't budge.
b. Decocker models:
   i. Ensure the lever decocks to half-notch properly several times.

4. FPB check.
a. Push the firing pin from the rear. It should not be allowed to pass through the breech face.
b. While engaging the FPB from under the slide, ensure that the firing pin only passes through the breech face when the FPB is engaged a short distance.

Reassemble the slide to the frame.

5. Second round of checks.
a. Verify trigger, disconnector, and sear-to-hammer operation. Pull trigger and hold.
   i. Cycle slide and verify the trigger bar disconnects.
   ii. Slowly releasing the trigger, verify a safe margin for trigger reset.
   iii. Holding trigger down, repeatedly rack slide and allow to slam shut several times. Watch for hammer follow.
b. Verify safety function.
   i. Safety on, pull trigger and attempt to lift sear off hammer hooks. Sear should not budge.
   ii. Verify decocker function several times.

First trip back to the range.

6. Fire pistol using only 2 rounds in the magazine at a time.
   i. Ensure the proper functions of feeding, firing, and extraction.
   ii. Ensure last round slide lock.
   iii. Ensure magazine drops free or is able to be removed properly.
   iv. Ensure inserting fresh magazine and dropping the slide does not drop the hammer.
   v. Ensure proper safety or decocker function.

Should be good after that.

anything