Author Topic: 10mm Witness recoil springs  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Gary1911A1

Re: 10mm Witness recoil springs
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »
I had a factory shooter tell me to use a short piece of stock 1911 recoil spring to cut down an slid into your stock spring to slow down the rear motion an to keep from over powering forword movement ,for me it was to control brass ejection distance but it also does the samething youall are working at with out slide or frame damage from a heavy spring. Start with a stock 1" piece of 1911 sring and keep cutting and try it till you can pull the slide and chamber a round. My 40s&w ended up with a piece of spring about 1/2" long and so far works real well at reduceing ejection of brass from 20 to 10 or 12 feet and has made for a softer shooting pistol. I put the piece of spring right in front of the recoil lug on the recoil spring would stop at full compression. I do keep my wire cutters with me in my range bag so if a have a feed problem i can cut a bit more off till it has no problems . I have shot about 100 round with it in and like it.
This is interesting and I may try it as I do have my share of 1911 recoil springs. It brings to mind other pistols that have used this method to protect the frame and soften recoil.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »
Very Interesting!  What you wind up here with is a variable rate compound spring.

I would be more inclined to trim the Longer Spring which would lighten it, allowing the one inch spring to be the cushion.  I would probably use a heavy Spring for the one inch Spring, as is done on the Sprinco Units.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline hardluk1

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 09:01:47 AM »
jwc007 ,don't expect the 1" spring to work with out some cutting. That was a lenght i was given to start with. What i ended up with just so that I could chamber a round was the 1/2" length, now how much of that plays into this type pistol compaired to the upscale with longer slides and or older models guns or even a different wist and strenght of stock spring will control the length of the 1911 spring piece you can use. I did recut mine about 4 times getting down to this legth. I did look mine over real well last night and sofar all looks good. The larger 1911 piece is not hitting or rubbing on anything or so far doing anything odd. Only time will tell. Now i am waiting to here how it works for some others.

Offline Gary1911A1

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
Just wanted to tell everybody I finally got around to trying this and it worked! My brass which use to go into the next shooting bay now only goes as far as if I was shooting a .45. I used an old 18lb. 1911 recoil spring cut to two loops so as the slide would lock back and still be able to find my 10MM brass. Thanks hardluk1!!!