Author Topic: 1st USPSA Shoot  (Read 1698 times)

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

1st USPSA Shoot
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
First  - Thanks to all for the previous suggestions on how to get started in USPSA!
Second - Thanks for the warning (although I did not follow it) that this stuff is like crack.
Third - The results: Fun, Fun, Fun. Shot six local stages in OKC. Scored 14, 15, 16, 16, 17 and 20 out of 30 shooters in production division with my PCR. Shadow from Angus on the way, but I did not want to wait and was curious how it would shoot. Very pleased with the results. Except the qualifier. The PCR Shot great. Good to know since it is my CCW. Procedural mistake screwed up my score on the qualifier, but it is all good. Just another excuse to shoot more.

Headed to Tulsa end of the month to do it all again!

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions!
CSM, USA (RET)
CZ 75 Pre-B, PCR, SP-01 Shadow, P-06, CZ 97

Offline gja70

Re: 1st USPSA Shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
Shot my first USPSA match yesterday as well.  And I couldn't agree more...I'm hooked.  I had so much fun.  I was mostly concentrating on safety and proper gun handling instead of good scores.  Also found glaring flaws in my reload under pressure.  le: smoothly pulling the mag free of the mag pouch, inserting the new mag cleanly, racking the slide on a reload when the slide lock wasn't in the locked position ( there goes a bullet i may need later! )  All stuff that will be easy to correct over time and practice though. 

Jack Straw

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
 :) :) :) Great news and congratulations (to both of you guys).

I fondly remember my first match....when I got home I said to myself "I'm a competitive shooter!!!!"  then I decided to take a nap and slept for five hours.   It's a great rush; I'll bet you won't sleep the night before the next one.

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
congrats! happy shooting. :)

Offline Jay1958

• YourWeapons.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
I have participated in several local IDPA matches, and I would like to start participating in some of the local USPSA matches, but I have a few questions:

1.  I have a CZ75BD that I plan on using, "Production Division".  In IDPA, it is "Stock Service Pistol-SSP".  In IDPA, when I load and make ready, I just activate the decocker before holstering and the hammer drops to the "decocked" or "half-cocked" position.  In the rule book for USPSA, it looks like I would have to start with the "hammer fully down", right?  Do I have to manually drop the hammer fully on "load and make ready" before I holster?  Seems almost like a safety hazard with a decocker pistol...?

2.  In IDPA, most stages require concealment.  USPSA never requires concealment, is that right?

3.  What are the other major differences between IDPA and USPSA?

Thanks in advance!

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »
I have participated in several local IDPA matches, and I would like to start participating in some of the local USPSA matches, but I have a few questions:

1.  I have a CZ75BD that I plan on using, "Production Division".  In IDPA, it is "Stock Service Pistol-SSP".  In IDPA, when I load and make ready, I just activate the decocker before holstering and the hammer drops to the "decocked" or "half-cocked" position.  In the rule book for USPSA, it looks like I would have to start with the "hammer fully down", right?  Do I have to manually drop the hammer fully on "load and make ready" before I holster?  Seems almost like a safety hazard with a decocker pistol...?

2.  In IDPA, most stages require concealment.  USPSA never requires concealment, is that right?

3.  What are the other major differences between IDPA and USPSA?

Thanks in advance!

start a new thread... but to answer your questions:

1. just decock to half cock. it's fine, since it's a decocker gun.

2. no concealment.

3. biggest is reload how you like, and shoot them as you see them. no order, no restrictions.

just show up and start shooting. like any sport, you can read the rulebook, but a lot is learned along the way at a local match. safety first, make sure you know all the safety rules. always ask if you have any questions - the only dumb questions are questions never asked.

good luck, and have fun!

Offline sonny74

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »
First  - Thanks to all for the previous suggestions on how to get started in USPSA!
Second - Thanks for the warning (although I did not follow it) that this stuff is like crack.
Third - The results: Fun, Fun, Fun. Shot six local stages in OKC. Scored 14, 15, 16, 16, 17 and 20 out of 30 shooters in production division with my PCR. Shadow from Angus on the way, but I did not want to wait and was curious how it would shoot. Very pleased with the results. Except the qualifier. The PCR Shot great. Good to know since it is my CCW. Procedural mistake screwed up my score on the qualifier, but it is all good. Just another excuse to shoot more.

Headed to Tulsa end of the month to do it all again!

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions!

Congratulations on your first match and welcome to the sport.  Pretty good for a first match.  I was there at OKCGC yesterday also, shooting a CZ Tactical Sport in Limited.  Didn't do so good after 4 months off from shooting.  If you live in the OKC area there is a match at H&H Gun Range on Sunday night (6-14) start at 6:00pm.  It's a small scale (4 stages) indoor match. It's really fun shooting indoor also.

Offline CSM CZ Shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
sonny74,

Thanks for the heads up on H&H. I've added it to my calendar.

I look forwarded to meeting you.

Tim

CSM, USA (RET)
CZ 75 Pre-B, PCR, SP-01 Shadow, P-06, CZ 97

Offline Stuart

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
USPSA and IDPA are a lot of fun..

just finished up shooting the High Desert Classic in Albuquerque and as always had a great time.
my CZ ran fantastically despite the wind, dust and dirt.

been shooting a long time, and have played in most of the divisions. its a hoot..you'll be hooked for life.
stuart@czcustom.com
czcustom.com

anything