Author Topic: P-07 or P-01???  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Dante

P-07 or P-01???
« on: June 30, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
OK, my state permit arrived today so I am now good to go for a new 9mm pistol.  I did some shopping tonight and managed to dry fire the following weapons: CZ: P-01, P-07, PCR, 75B Compact; FN Herstal: FNP 9; Springfield Armory XD9; Walther P99 AS.  To be honest, the Walther felt great in my hand, but it also carried a price tag of $700.00, out of my budget right now.  Forget about the XD9 - too bulky. FNP felt good, very light weight and light trigger pull.  Now to the CZ's.  The salesman put the 75B Compact in my hand first and raved about it. It was a beauty too, in satin nickel tone.  But...it was heavy in my hand with a heavy trigger pull.  Next, the PCR - felt good too and the P-01, which felt better.  Strange, but the P-01 trigger pull seemed a tad lighter than the PCR.  Has that been your experience?  Then the P-07.  The salesman started the conversation by saying, "the P-07 is an uncomfortable gun," but I ignored him and had to hold it myself.  I did not find it uncomfortable.  It fit my hand very well.  He did not like the texturing along the sides of the grip, but I did not mind that.  And you could always put a Hogue Handall Universal grip on it.  So the choice is down to the P-07 or P-01.  I did not know where to post this question since I suppose all you P-07 lovers may encourage me to go for that one, but many of you also own the P-01, so I'd like to hear from both owners - pros and cons.  What I like about the P-01 is its proven, NATO tested reliability. It was a little heavier in my hand than the P-07, but not by much.  I am going back tomorrow to hold each gun again.  Your thoughts please. And thank you all, in advance! 

Offline Colt1903

Re: P-07 or P-01???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
My P 07 trigger pull is lighter and smoother than the pull on my P 01 despite the fact that the P 01 has had vastly more rounds put through it than the relatively new P 07.  The  07 is lighter and grip is thinner thus easier to conceal if you are going to carry the pistol which I am assuming you are since you have just received your permit.  My P 07 is more accurate than my P 01.  The Good News is that CZ produces "World Class" pistols so you can't go too far wrong with either choice.

One other thing I would advise.  Get some training.  If you are going to use this or any pistol should you need to defend your life you will quickly find out that there is much, much more to survival shooting than what you can learn standing stationary in an "open to the public" range.  Find a range that offers classes where you can shoot while moving and work from a holster.  It will pay dividends in the long run.  You may decide to take up IDPA which will allow you to practice what you have been taught and that is a good idea as well.

Offline OldGreg

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:52:06 AM »
I was in your shoes.  I own the P-07.  I picked it over the P-01 because of the textured grip, the trigger, the uniqueness of having something the guy next to me in the range wouldn't have, and finally... the price!  ;D  I saved some $$$ going with the P-07.
P-07
SP-01 Phantom
97B

Offline badge38

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:40:26 AM »
 Very well stated Colt1903 ...... there is nothing more important than practice.
Sig Sauer 225, Equinox 220
Ed Brown  Massad Ayoob 1911
S&W M&P 9c, 642 Airweight

Offline Smokievol

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
I'm in the same boat, like the lower price but like the build of the P-01.
The other pistol I own is a SS Matte C75 and the P-01 seems like it would be the exact same in operation.
The weight is about the same, size about the same, materials are different.

Any other thoughts out there on these two autos?

Thanks

Offline badge38

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:10 AM »
 I have the 75D P-01 and it's hard to beat for price, size, accuracy and realiability.   I'ts alloy steel P-01 vs. polymer P-07 ..... so it just depends which you prefer.  There's nothing like the feel of a steel gun in your hand vs. plastic though ....... and you can always pick up a polymer later !   ;D
Sig Sauer 225, Equinox 220
Ed Brown  Massad Ayoob 1911
S&W M&P 9c, 642 Airweight

anything