Author Topic: Emergency Preparedness: Specifically not survivalism or TEOTWAWKI  (Read 9153 times)

Offline salskov

Right -

Got our first big line storm out here in the Pacific NW over the last couple days.

Flooding, mudslides, power out, downed timber.

This happens every year, and the world hasn't ended yet.

What I would like this thread to be is basic,

And for all of us who don't have seven jillion dollars

To spend on surviving a two week power outage.

So - I'll start.

I don't have a generator.

Got 4 propane Coleman Lanterns and a Coleman Stove.

Plus a couple cases of the pounder bottles.

Got a tank of diesel in the garage, in 5 gallon jugs, for the truck.

Chainsaw, with spares, chainoil, gas.

Dry/canned food for a month.

Plenty flashlights/batteries.

Mucho bottled water.

And the list goes on.

What variety of tips and tricks can you volunteer?

salskov

Offline The Rifleman

Re: Emergency Preparedness: Specifically not survivalism or TEOTWAWKI
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »
Well lets see.  You mentioned you have a Coleman stove.  Does it use the propane or camp stove fuel?  I personally bought a Coleman Dual fuel camp stove that can use either the camp stove fuel or gasoline.  I think it is much more practical for emergencies especially long term disasters where the only fuel found might only be gasoline.  This goes for lanterns too. Also every time I go grocery shopping I buy extra canned vegetables whether I need them or not.  I received some good advise from my father-in-law once regarding stockpiling food.  He said to only stockpile what you like to eat not what is on sale or because you can get it in bulk.  Remember you have to eat it might as well like it.  You might also want to keep several bottles of bleach.  It makes a good disinfectant.  Also rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide is good to keep stocked.  You mentioned mucho bottled water.  You might consider several 5 gal stored for bathing, flushing toilets, dishes or even drinking.  Speaking of toilets what about toilet paper?  Also regarding water; whenever I hear that a storm is coming I fill up all bath tubs with water for flushing toilets or...whatever.  This tip came from my lineman neighbor.  Are you married?  If so feminine items I'm sure she would appreciate. No generator?  What about an inverter for the vehicle?  You mentioned your list goes on so these were probably already on it as well as rope, matches, blankets, and lastly ammo. 
The Rifleman
NRA Life Member

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
-George Washington

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:30 AM »
If the water lines are out the sewer might be too, got an outhouse? Might need a shovel and windbreak to make one, or a toilet with chemical tank.
Water foltration, water is a key. If you are blessed with free running water, i.e., stream, etc, water filtration is a MUST. I also like to buy canned foods that don't require or have thier own wtaer, like the Campbells Chunky soups. I have a Coleman stove, plus a backpackers solid fuel stove for those really bad days - I also keep extra gas for the barbeque grill.. In winter, an extra set of heavy comforters and blankets might be great to have if the power/heater goes out. Fireplace?
A network of people helps if the power outage/disaster goes on a long time. That's one thing we don't have down here, darn it.

Offline Southern Forester

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Preparedness depends on where you are.

In southern Mississippi, freezing to death is not a problem.  Even if it gets cold, it never stays cold and so quilts and blankets take care of that problem.

But, Coleman stoves are a necessity regardless of where you are.  Dual-fuel stoves are ideal as they can use any kind of fuel.  But propane stoves are not a bad idea and are generally simpler to use.  I have both and as long as you have a few bottles of propane (or even a single large tank such as often used on barbeque stoves (me, I use charcoal)), you're fine.  Remember, this is not end of the world stuff, but short term survival.

Canned food is ideal.  Vegetables serve not only to give calories but also fluids.  A big jar of peanut butter is extremely valuable.  Indeed, were I to be told I was going to be dropped on a desert isle for a few  years and could take a flat of only one food, I would choose peanut butter because it is high calorie, has fat and protein and sugar.  It is nearly the perfect survival food.  Poptarts are also great to have as they are light, high in calories, are fortified with nutrients, and store well (though not as well as peanut butter).

Flashlights and lanterns are great to have.  Personally, I like kerosene lanterns but these are generally not as bright as white gas.  They are more stable and less complicated, though.  Hurricane lamps burning lamp oil are also great (but rather dim).

Baby wipes are nice to clean up if water is limited.  Cleanliness is important because it keeps illness away and also makes you feel better (yes, it really does).

Water in any form is necessary.  A bathtub filled before water goes out is a smart idea.  Milk-jugs, old 2-liter bottles, any kind of drink container are great for drinking water.  If you lose power and water supply, remember fluids come from many places - coke, beer, canned string beans, milk, orange juice, ice cubes, etc.  How many fools went thirsty in New Orleans when they could have filled a walmart bag full of beans and peas from their cubbard?

After Katrina, we had sewer but no water.  We had a neighbor with a pool so we had plenty of flushing water.  We had water to drink and as the freezer thawed, I fired up the grill.  Our gas remained running, so my wife fried stuff (we have a gas stove) while I grilled stuff, until our entire freezer was empty.  I ate red fish, steak, chicken, you name it.  Indeed, for the first 3 days after Katrina (we were without power for 13 days), I ate nothing but meat.  I got tired of steak and really longed to tear open a package of poptarts!

Davis

Offline Embfixer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
 May I suggest since you do not have a generator, buying a 12 volt car battery or two and a static inverter to power your lights/TV or any other electric device for a while. You can buy a solar charger or use a car to recharge them. You can also use the inverter in you car/truck to make an effective generator.

I developed this method after a bad storm the power was out for a few days and I had to keep the pumps on my salt water aquarium going. I also found that one battery could power a low watt lamp and a small TV for most of the night.