Author Topic: CZ 82 ???  (Read 8964 times)

Offline trailblazer02

CZ 82 ???
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
not sure this is the correct forum, but...

while searching GunBroker for other CZs, i saw these 82s & the peaked my interest.

can someone tell me about their experience with these pistols?

i just wonder about a pistol you can buy for under $200.009 i assume these are all used & not new.... i'd buy a bersa for under $200.00 without hesitation but not sure about these 82s.

my second question relates to ammo...who makes the ammo & where do you find it readily available. is it interchangable with 9mm 9x19

i don't recall seeing any in my LGS or walmart, however, mayabe it was because i wasn't looking.

lastly, are replacement parts readily available, mags, springs etc. & is their possibly any warranty on a used CZ?

thanx,
   trailblazer
USAF Vet, 1966-1970. The MCDONNELL/DOUGLAS F-4, the original badass jet fighter.

Looking for a CZ

Offline tf34mech

Re: CZ 82 ???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
First of all 9x18 is not interchangeable with 9x19.  The CZ 82s being offered are military /police surplus so there will be no warranty.  Parts are becoming more available and most CZ 83 parts will fit. Magazines sell for around 30 dollars CDNN seems to have the best price. The 82 is an accurate comfortable gun to shoot and is my favorite one at the range.

Offline mp517prct

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »
The CZ-82 is more correctly called the CZ vz.82, as it was the Official sidearm of the Czech military.  CZ also made a version for commercial sale called the CZ-83.  I would best describe the CZ-82 as a Walther PP made into a double stack, with an ambidextrious M1911 style safety, and chambered for 9mm Makarov.

I own two CZ-82s and love them to death.  They are by far the best deal on the surplus market today.  They are used, but the simplicity of the blowback design means they are extremely reliable.  Since CZ still makes the CZ-83, parts for the 82 are available.  I bought both of my 82s at Gander Mtn, so they gave me a one year warranty on them, I doubt that other sellers do that.

9mm Makarov is NOT interchangeable with 9mm Luger, 9x19mm, 9mm Parabellum

9mm Makarov is 9x18mm and 9mm Luger is 9x19mm, the extra 1 mm in case length means that 9mm Luger won't fit the whole way into the chamber of a 9mm Makarov.  9mm Luger is also more powerful than 9mm Makarov, the CZ-82 was not designed to handle the pressures generated by 9mm Luger.  I have no desire to try it, so I don't know what would happen, but I'd hope you value your life enough not to try it yourself.

9mm Makarov was the standard pistol cartridge of the Warsaw Pact at the end of the cold war, and therefore surplus ammo is still available, but it's far easier to buy commercial ammo made in former Eastern Bloc countries.  

Brown Bear/Silver Bear is made by Barnaul, in Russia
Wolf is also made in Russia
Sellier and Berloit is made in the Czech Republic
MFS is Hungarian
Winchester Metric Calibers is made in the Czech Republic but boxed by Winchester
Hornady makes XTP hollow points for self defense

Others can add more manufacturers, but this weas all I could think of

I Swear On My Life And My Love Of It, That I Will Never Live For The Sake Of Another Man, Nor Ask Another Man To Live For Mine. - John Galt

Offline drnickels

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
I own 2 CZ 82's I purchased both from CDNN.

I also own the Bersa Thunder .380.

They both feel fairly similar in the hands in the case of pointability. The 82 is of course heavier, but extremely reliable.

I can carry my 82 and my Bersa in the same bianchi IWB holster for CCW.

Buy an 82 you won't regret it!

I have had no problem buying ammo. Sportsmansguide.com often has surplus ammo at decent prices so you can order some from them. Also Fiocchi, Hornady, and several other ammo makers sell 9X18 Mak rounds. The gun store is the easiest place to find this ammo.

9X18 Mak and 9X19 (9mm luger) ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!! Do not try it! I've seen idiots on youtube shooting 9mm luger through a hungarian Mak, and was amazed they still have all their fingers!

I've also heard of folks taking the frame mounted barrel off the 82 and adding the .380 barrel for a CZ 83 and shooting .380 through the same frame and it has worked.

I've not done this and have kept my 82 military surplus style. Some folks here have really tricked theirs out with new grips, re-finishing, updated sights, etc..

Buy an 82 it's just like the bersa being rock solid reliable for a cheap price point.

Offline mvelimir

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
Not only that 9x19 Luger brass is 1 mm longer than 9x18 Makarov brass and much more powerful in load - it is also completely different, smaller diameter. 9x19 Luger dia is approx. .357" while 9x18 Makarov is approx. .365". With 9x19 ammo being smaller diameter, one will also risk that bullet might turn just a little bit sideways and either getting stuck in the barrel or putting a dent inside barrel. In any case - DO NOT USE 9X19 AMMO IN 9X18 PISTOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sbroomheadsr

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
The CZ 82 is one of the (so far) best kept secret.  However, more and more people are learning they are great guns.  

They are very accurate (fixed barrel on the frame.  

Easy to clean (chrome barrel with polygonal design rifling).  

They hold 12 + 1 of 9mm mak ammo (this ammo can be found very cheap).

Mechanically they are in great shape but their finish is a polycoat that can be scratched up but they can be easily refinished for a great look.

I get my ammo at Academy Sports, on-line, or at a local gun show. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:43:47 PM by sbroomheadsr »
sbroomheadsr
a.k.a. Grim Sweeper

Offline NVCZ

• I poke Badgers with sporks...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
They are surplus, so don't expect "pretty".

Expect reliablity, expect accuracy, expect a gun that will fit your hand and is built like a hammer.

I love my ugly little gun, and hope to get a second one in the near future.

NVCZ
Battle Born

Party Like It's 1773

www.soviet-steel.com
Com Bloc pistols, rifles AND tanks. Americans showing how we shoot their stuff.

Offline sbroomheadsr

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
This was the condition of my second CZ82 when I bought it.

Here it is after being refinished (with grips from Designer Grips).
sbroomheadsr
a.k.a. Grim Sweeper

Offline obxned

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
I bought a CZ-82 because I could buy the 9mm Mak ammo cheaply whie other calibers are scarce and expensive.  It also is a very similar to the Browning or Beretta double-stack .380s that I always wanted but not badly enough to pay their price.  Besides, how could I say 'no' to such an inexpensive new toy.

As it turns out, it is now one of my favorite pistols.  It is very accurate, absolutely reliable, fits my hand perfectly, and has a better trigger in both SA and DA mode than most of my other pistols. 

I would be buying another couple of these pistols while thet are still available at such a low price, but I need a CZ-85 Combat and can't do both.

Offline trailblazer02

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:00:39 AM »
anyone know what dealer has these in stock now?

i'd rather buy from a dealer than GunBroker.

thanx,
 trailblazer
USAF Vet, 1966-1970. The MCDONNELL/DOUGLAS F-4, the original badass jet fighter.

Looking for a CZ

Offline marcodelat

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »
anyone know what dealer has these in stock now?

i'd rather buy from a dealer than GunBroker.

thanx,
 trailblazer

If you are doing an 01 FFL transfer try:

AIM

CLASSIC ARMS

FAMILY ARMS AND FINISHES

J&G SALES

... and there are others.

If you have a C&R you can deal directly with:

SOG (Southern Ohio Gun)

CAI (Century Arms International)

or maybe... TGI (Tennesse Gun) still has a couple left...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:09:55 AM by marcodelat »

Offline mvelimir

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
AIM Surplus got some again:

CZ-82 for $219.95

Offline Moondo

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
I received one on Monday from AIM, I would rate it a 75-80% weapon. The box had an AIM sticker covering a Century Arms International sticker hmmmmm. I received a real nice shoulder holster and extra Mag all for $219.95 with free shipping.  The pistol was dry as a bone, No cosmoline or oil whatsoever it was dirty from having a couple of rounds put through it. I got it cleaned up real good and installed a Wolff recoil and firing pin spring kit. It is an excellent shooter, so I guess it is a keeper.

Offline PTGT_Neon

• Efficient Mileage
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »
Those 82s are sexy in nickel if you ever decide to refinish it.

Offline billjohnso20

• Pistol Packin' Preacher
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
I just bought my 82 at a local gun shop that a buddy of mine owns. I had 2 .380s---a 1st Generation Ruger LCP and a nickel plated Kel-Tec P3AT. Since my P3AT is hands down the better gun in terms of reliability, I decided to trade the LCP. My bud was asking $240.00 for the 82 and I walked out with two boxes of Silver Bear for a total of out of pocket of $75.86. ;D

Here's what I got. My 82 is stamped Cherry's GSO, NC. The date stamp is 1985. This importer seems to offer only the best ones out there. The finish is 95-98%!!!!!! The only wear appears to be shelf wear on the left front of the slide and just a touch of wear on the underside of the slide where it slide past the front of the frame/dust cover. I got 2 flawless mags that look brand new. One has the thin floor plate and the other has the fuller/thicker new style floor plate. This second mag will be the one I carry in this beauty because it doesn't pinch my finger any and just feels better in my hand. I also received one new nylon/braided steel bore brush and a BRAND NEW NEVER USED black leather CZ 75/85 hip holster with the CZ stamps. The leather was so stiff I had to work it for several minutes to both get the gun in it and to get my belt to thread through it!!!!!!

I bought this gun Monday, March 8, and pulled it apart to clean it last night. When I pulled it apart, I realized THIS GUN IS BRAND SPANKING NEW!!!!!! The outside of the barrel only has a couple of light scratches from the recoil spring. Once I pulled the unscratched, still shiny grips off, I confirmed that this gun is new. It still had the assembly grease on it that was used to assemble it in 1985!!!!! I found no fouling of any kind anywhere in/on this gun. The barrel was shiny and when I used bore cleaner, ALL OF THE PATCHES CAME OUT COMPLETELY CLEAN!!!!!!! :o This one is nothing like what I've seen offered on Gun Broker.

As you can tell, I'm stoked about this gun! I can't wait to get to the range with it. I've tried it out on my hip in the holster I got with it and besides the holster being a couple inches too long for the gun, I have no complaints. Honestly, it's no heavier on my hip than my Walther PPS 40. I plan to replace the grips with some of the after market wood grips on Gun Broker and to get a Crossbreed Super Tuck for it in a couple months so I can add it to my CCW rotation. Once I get to the range, I'll post target picks and let y'all know how it performed.

Oh, BTW, I'll post pics of my 82 and the combo I got with it later this afternoon when I get home so y'all can see I'm not blowing smoke. This gun is about as cherry as a 25 year old military & police surplus gun can get. The factory finish on my Kel-Tec PF-9 and P3AT weren't as good and I bought them brand new. ;D
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

anything