Author Topic: What year was your Italian CZ clone made? (Italian date codes)  (Read 151846 times)

Offline mct54

Re: What year was your Italian CZ clone made? (Italian date codes)
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »

What year is EA prefix on Witness P-carry 10mm :)
An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens....There has never been a moment of my life in which I should have relinquished for it the enjoyments of my family, my farm, my friends & books. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
  What year is EA prefix on Witness P-carry 10mm :)

Versions of the Witness P-Carry have been available since around 2002/2003.
Not sure exactly when the 10mm versions have come along, but they have always had the "EA" prefix.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline gonefishin

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
Contacted Tanfoglio for my Witness 10mm. A boxed CL is April 2013. A CAT #### is a catalog number - in Italy any firearm before 2012 has to be in the Italian Catalog of of Firearms. The other tiny symbols are proof marks as required by Italian law.

Offline 1911texan

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
I have a EEA Witness..I cant find any letters on the frame other than the serial number ?

Offline LESchwartz

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »
I have two EAA Witness pistols.  Neither has a date code stamped on it.

Larry

Offline Storm1969

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
So I bought a Witness Steel .40 in 2003/4.  Doesn't have a date mark.  Any way to find out when it was manufactured?

Offline LESchwartz

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
Here's a trick you can try:  Type your serial number into the "magazine lookup tool" on the EAA website.  It will tell you everything you need to know about your Witness.  Here's the link:  http://eaacorp.com/magazine-lookup.

Larry

PS:  I've only gotten the lookup tool to work when using Internet Explorer.  As always, YMMV.

Offline Storm1969

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2016, 02:40:29 PM »
Thanks.  Now I know it was imported in 2000

Offline Auriemma

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »
My Witness PS 9mm Grey Ghost has an MT = 2016 (June).
--- Joe ---
CZ75B Ω || Sig P365XL/Macro || Sig P229R
Ruger 10/22 Custom || Henry Homesteader || Springfield Saint AR-15 10.5"/16" || Tippmann M4 Elite-L

Offline bnolsen

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2017, 11:46:29 PM »
My full sized wonder finish 10mm is 2002, my compact wonder finish 10mm is 2003.  Might be the other way around, though, but close enough.

Offline eagle-eye

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
I just picked up another Polymer compact Witness 9mm with a date coade that is very hard to read but seems to be CP. I haven't seen that referenced here. What date would that be?
Btw, I tried the magazine lookup tool, but I only have Chrome here and it just showed a blank page.
I've found that growing up in the sixties was a lot more fun than being in my sixties.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
I just picked up another Polymer compact Witness 9mm with a date coade that is very hard to read but seems to be CP. I haven't seen that referenced here. What date would that be?
Btw, I tried the magazine lookup tool, but I only have Chrome here and it just showed a blank page.

Good question.  The most recent chart of Italian proof dates that I have found anywhere only goes up to 2012, when the proof code was "CI".

Looking at several of the lists of published 2-letter proof codes that start with A and then go on to B and C, we can see that the Italians didn't use every letter of the alphabet for the 2nd character.  The Italian alphabet does not use all 26 letters that English does, e.g. they don't use J, K, W, X and Y so logically they skipped those, but they also skipped a few others like G, O, and sometimes E.  So going from the patterns for A and B-prefix codes, we would expect:

CI = 2012 (last code I could find published)
CL = 2013
CM = 2014
CN = 2015
CP = 2016

Or maybe not.  I have a Cimarron SAA with a CP proof code, but since I acquired it in June 2015, my assumed list can't be right.  It would seem that CP is the proof code for 2015, and that the Italians skipped one of the letters L, M, or N in the "C" series.

If anyone has more definitive info, I would love to find a reference.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

Offline 1down

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
Here's a trick you can try:  Type your serial number into the "magazine lookup tool" on the EAA website.  It will tell you everything you need to know about your Witness.  Here's the link:  http://eaacorp.com/magazine-lookup.

Larry

PS:  I've only gotten the lookup tool to work when using Internet Explorer.  As always, YMMV.

Thanks.  This shows import date for my EAA Witness 10mm January 2015. 

Offline Aran

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2018, 12:19:06 AM »
I wish there was more info stamped onto the gun itself. Which is weird for me to say since I generally hate verbose stamps, but "WITNESS" and the import marks aren't very helpful, and the rest of my stamps are really shallow to the point of barely being readable.

That said, my .40 Witness was a '93 build/import, and I'd love it more if it were a 9mm but I practically stole it from the dealer for $300

Offline Slingin9mm

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »
Got this Tanfoglio TZ-75 Series 88 that has the AT stamped on it stating 1988 production date.

anything