Author Topic: AR500 Body Armor initial review and first impressions  (Read 14207 times)

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
AR500 Body Armor initial review and first impressions
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
Received a set consisting of plate carrier and front and rear (curved) plates.

Plate carrier: appears to be well constructed with robust stitching and ample attachment points for additional pouches and equipment. The numerous loops allow personal preference as to where such extra pouches can be placed. Includes a drag handle and adjustment for fit on both shoulders and waist. Caveat: the shoulder adjustment could do with being a little more generous.

Plates: as expected, heavy blackened steel with a curve to 'fit'. Appear to be interchangeable front and back. I received the RH set although I am a southpaw, however as I have a pretty broad chest they should work fine. The cut could be a problem for those people with narrow chests when trying to mount a long gun to their firing shoulder if they don't order the correct 'side'.

Wearing and fit: As mentioned above, shoulder adjustment needs to be greater but overall the carrier fits (and sits) well however, the front plate curve causes it to sit out quite a long way from the chest, it may be that the curve could/should be lessened somewhat making the front plate slightly less pronounced to address this. It could also have a flat center section included to allow it to sit a little closer.

Overall: a good piece of kit and a worthy addition to any first responders gear bag or emergency preparedness equipment. With some minor tweaks it would be outstanding.

Further review will be posted after some time wearing it 'in anger'.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:19:42 AM by Widge »
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: AR500 Body Armor initial review and first impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
I wore mine the other day when thinking I had an intruder, quick on/off, and definitely a comfort to know I had some solid protection available fast. I have to say, living a few miles from the infamous "drug corridor" makes me happy to have a good piece of emergency gear! 8) Pictures soon.

Offline ShootersElement

• www.ShootersElement.com
    • Shooters Element
Re: AR500 Body Armor initial review and first impressions
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
Glad you are all enjoying the new gear. We look forward to hearing more about it and taking the tweak suggestions under advisement.
CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Like us on Facebook:www.facebook.com/ShootersElement
Check us out on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/shooters_element