Author Topic: Noisy Trigger Bar  (Read 2665 times)

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« on: January 21, 2003, 12:53:56 PM »
Hello.  My 75BD's trigger bar seems to make a lot of noise (rattling) if I jostle the gun in DA mode.  If there's a mag in the gun, it's even noisier.  I know everyone's probably just "does this", but I'm looking for a solution, if possible.  I checked the 75B rental at my local range and it does the same thing.

I dunno.  Let me know if anyone has a solution, or if this out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

Mark

Walt-Sherrill

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 01:07:36 PM »
Mine don't do that.

Are you sure its the trigger bar?

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 05:02:19 PM »
Pretty sure, Walt.  I took off the slide assembly and that's the only thing moving down there I could feel and see.  The trigger bar is the double sided bar that sort of "straddles" the mag, right (that's what it's labeled as in my manual)?  It moves if I tap it with my finger, too.  I guess it's not really really super noisy, but it makes a chinking noise.  Maybe my initial description was a bit exaggerated.  When the hammer's back, there's no noise.

So, if you took your gun in DA mode and shook it (side to side, up and down), it makes no noise?  I felt better when the range gun did it, but now I'm a bit worried.

Walt-Sherrill

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 09:51:33 PM »
I've got a safe full of guns, and none of them have trigger bars that rattle.  My CZ-75 (pre-B) and my 85 Combat certainly don't.

And it does this with a mag OUT of the gun, too?  (What you describe sounds like MAG rattle... but if it does it with the mag out, and the mag brake isn't terribly loose, there's not much chance of it being mag rattle.)

In most guns, there's not ENOUGH ROOM for the trigger bar to move laterally to even cause a "click," let alone a noise loud enough to be called a rattle.

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 10:55:44 AM »
It's louder with the mag in, but yes, there's noise (once again, maybe my initial statement of "rattle" was too strong of a word).

So, your 75/85 makes absolutely NO noise when you shake it (without a mag in)?

Walt-Sherrill

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 12:14:31 PM »
My 85 Combat makes no noise.  My pre-B 75 makes no noise.

My (now sold) 75B and 40B made no noise when shaking the gun.

I honestly can't imagine that a trigger bar could be loose enough to make noise -- there's so little room for it to move.

I wonder if something else is rattling around?

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 04:20:34 PM »
Yup, definitely the trigger bar.  I can move it side to side with my finger.  My eyes aren't calipers, but it looks like there's about 10 mils of space/play.  I don't think this will harm my pistol, unless that means the frame is outta wack, or something.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to go to the local shop and check if their new 75's do it.  Like I said, the rental did.

Thanks again, Walt!!

Mark

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 04:23:03 PM »
Yup, definitely the trigger bar.  I can move it side to side with my finger.  My eyes aren't calipers, but it looks like there's about 10 mils of space/play.  I don't think this will harm my pistol, unless that means the frame is outta wack, or something.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to go to the local shop and check if their new 75's do it.  Like I said, the rental did.

Thanks again, Walt!!

Mark

Offline dleong

• Administrator
Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 05:59:23 PM »
Verbaltharhino,

Aside from the 75's trigger bar not having enough room to rattle much in the frame, you will also notice that it is tensioned upwards by the trigger bar spring (part #34). The free ends of the spring simultaneously press against the inside of the frame and ride in tiny grooves on the underside of the bar. Fitted properly, the spring actually forcibly centers the bar in the frame and prevents it from contacting the sides. On your 75BD, you might want to check if this spring is in fact riding in the bar's grooves; if it isn't, it is possible the bar might rattle slightly, as you have described. Whenever I detail-strip my 75B for a thorough cleaning, I have to be careful to center the trigger bar spring when tightening the magazine catch spring screw (#35) as the spring has a tendency to twist to one side as the screw snugs up, thereby preventing its proper engagement with the trigger bar.

Another possible source of "rattling" is the disconnector (part #17). On both my 75Bs and my 97B, with the hammer forward and no magazine inserted, the disconnector has a bit of free play that causes it to "rattle" very slightly only when the pistol is shaken vertically. With the slide off the frame, you can actually reach under the ejector assembly with a finger and feel the free play in the disconnector. Could this be the source of the rattling in your 75BD?

DL

Offline verbaltharhino

Noisy Trigger Bar
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 06:23:38 PM »
Quote:
Another possible source of "rattling" is the disconnector (part #17). On both my 75Bs and my 97B, with the hammer forward and no magazine inserted, the disconnector has a bit of free play that causes it to "rattle" very slightly only when the pistol is shaken vertically. With the slide off the frame, you can actually reach under the ejector assembly with a finger and feel the free play in the disconnector. Could this be the source of the rattling in your 75BD?

Hmmm... Interesting.  This could be some of it, but the trigger bar definitely moves, too.  I held the trigger bar with my finger, shook her, and yes indeed, there is still a noise.  Vertically and horizontally.  Louder vertically.  I tried to stick my finger in there like you said, but it seems I keep running into the back part of the trigger bar before I can get to the disconnector.  Sorry, still new to the CZ thing.

Also, the spring you mention that centers the trigger bar (trigger bar spring, go figger) is there, but my trigger bar moves vertically slightly more than the spring pushes it if I use my finger to pull it up.  Maybe this needs adjusted or replaced?  I only have about 700rds through the gun, so I doubt it's worn.

I'm hoping maybe the majority of the noise was from the disconnector as you suggest and the trigger bar was the first thing I saw moving/ could move with the slide off.  

Thanks for the time, dleong.  Slightly less worried now.  At least your pistols make SOME noise, too.  Like I stated above, maybe my first synopsis of the "rattle" was too harsh.  It's not like BB's in an empty coffee can, or anything.  A "tink, tink, tink" as I shake it describes it better (but makes me sound like a three year old :rolleyes   ).

anything