Author Topic: Source for Witness .45 FRAME  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Deer Hunter

Source for Witness .45 FRAME
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
I'm looking to build up a .45 on a witness frame.  Any leads?

Offline detroiter

Re: Source for Witness .45 FRAME
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
Try sending Ron Reed an email at reedsammo.com sometimes he has parts like that. You could also try EAA they probably want alot for it though.

If you can find a good enough deal on a .45 Witness you can always sell the upper they usually move quickly.

Good Luck! and show us a pic of the beast when you get done!

Offline Deer Hunter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Thank you.  I sent them a message.

Mainly, I've been too long without a project and thought putting together a witness would be fun.  Although, seems like it would be much easier to piece together a 1911.

Offline Deer Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Detroiter.  Looks like reed has a frame already built up.

Now I just need to find an upper.

Offline detroiter

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
Happy to help. Don't know if it's interest to you, but a couple weeks ago there was a stripped TZ75 frame on Gunbroker for pretty cheap. That's based on the 9/40 cartridges. I thought about snatching it up but have to consider the ffl fees which make it not such a good deal

Did some recon for you or anyone interested

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159997478

Offline Deer Hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:25:48 AM »
That's a great deal, and I'd jump on it if I was looking for another 9mm.  I've got a CZ 75B that I have tuned and I have a PCR that I carry.  I'm looking to replace a .45 I just sold.

Offline Southern Forester

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:46:15 AM »
Deer,

You sound like my dad, who always has a project.  When he passed away, the pastor at the funeral joked that heaven would not be a perfect place for my dad because he could not be happy unless something needed fixing.

Offline Deer Hunter

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
I do enjoy tinkering.  I mainly stick to building mountain bikes, guns, and various around-the-house stuff (overhangs, shelving for my gun safe, etc).  I have been without a gun project ever since my Saiga conversion to take AR mags was done.  I've got another guy helping me fabricate a piece that fits into a Savage 300 that allows it to take FN FAL mags. Then there's my Remington 1740, it's pretty much done.  My other CZs have been tweaked enough too.

It was either build a pistol or build a bike.  I picked pistol, to replace a .45 I just sold.

But back on topic.  I contacted EAA about getting a longslide slide for the gun.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:15:08 AM »
Deer Hunter:
If you buy a Full Size Witness in 10mm (for the frame), I'll take the top end off of you
Also, there's a nice deal on a .45 / .22 Witness set on GunBroker.com
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160604197
Shoot safe, Den S

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
Interesting that EAA is now importing Witnesses in the Blued Finish again.  For awhile, all they offered was the "Wonder" Finish.

Getting a Witness already in .45 ACP might be a better deal for the OP, as all main parts will already be fitted, leaving only minor customizing to be done, as desired.  Fewer surprises and frustrations that way.  Still a lot of work can be done.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:19:13 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline hardluk1

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
Remember , unlike cz a 9mm witness full size will also make a 10mm with just a upper kit. All the same frame in the full and match line.