Author Topic: Anyone own a full-auto Skorpion and how much of a hassle (ATF) to build one?  (Read 20621 times)

Offline wally

I know you have to pay a tax and fill out paper work to  own a class three firearm. I'm wondering how many hops you actually have to jump through legally? If you build it yourself what needs to be done? I've checked with local class three dealers and it's not that expensive to own one, less than a grand and no state involvement. I've heard that the ATF can show up any hour of the day or night and demand to see the weapon.
Just want to know peoples experiences. 8)

Offline Surculus

I know you have to pay a tax and fill out paper work to  own a class three firearm. I'm wondering how many hops you actually have to jump through legally? If you build it yourself what needs to be done? I've checked with local class three dealers and it's not that expensive to own one, less than a grand and no state involvement. I've heard that the ATF can show up any hour of the day or night and demand to see the weapon.

Well, no "building one" for private ownership post-'86 unless you want to pay the special manufacturer's tax and make up a "dealer sample" for prospective sales to police & U.S. military [which ain't gonna happen: .32acp don't get no respect! ;)]

Don't know how many FA Skorpions are out there or what they go for, but since they were an Eastern bloc weapon & the whole "no new FA for private consumption" thing went down in '86 before the Berlin Wall came down, I'd say there aren't many available out there in the wild. Why the fascination w/ the Skorpion? I believe the words "ugly" & "pointless" come to the forefront whenever those things come up. Yes, they're about the smallest FA machine pistols out there, but something in 9mm makes more logistical sense...

Offline Joescuba

I do no know if it is still there, but someone had one on loan to the Pratt Museum at FT Campbell KY.  It was captured in Vietnam. 

Regards

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

Why the fascination w/ the Skorpion? I believe the words "ugly" & "pointless" come to the forefront whenever those things come up. Yes, they're about the smallest FA machine pistols out there, but something in 9mm makes more logistical sense...
I don't know about the "pointless" part.  I have an acquaintance, formerly from Zimbabwe, who saved his life and the life of one other with a FA Skorpion.  Of course, Zimbabwe is a very strange place by anyone's definition.

I, personally, have about 500 rounds through a FA Baby Mac in 380 ACP, and while I think the 380 is a pissant round, I wouldn't want someone with a Baby Mac to be pointing it at me.

Offline Skorpion510

you could ask this guy i dont know him i just seen the video.

Scorpion510

Offline prebans

I am only aware of a handful of pre-86 dealer samples out there- no fully transferables.

Mike

Offline Saltydecimator

Ya my local mg dealer picked one up for 1k. Was brand new, with that same black grip, not our brown style.

Between it and Thomson I don't know who comes in first as my fave mg !!

Offline Armor Snail

You can SBR a semi one pretty easy.  For FA I agree buy a cheap MAC.  Last I checked they were around $5000.   Up from around $3000-3500 a year ago.  I should have bought one then.  Darn.
There are at least three for sale on Sub guns.net right now. 

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline Saltydecimator

What we need is a gun friendly cabinet member who will actively promote nixing the 86 ban. Cheney has mg, but notice he never suggested we should fix the laws... Whada jerk!

Offline Surculus

What we need is a gun friendly cabinet member who will actively promote nixing the 86 ban. Cheney has mg, but notice he never suggested we should fix the laws... Whada jerk!

The law was created to price the hoi polloi like you & me out of the market: the elite like the congresscritters who penned the foul thing in the 1st place will either have armed protection provided by the taxpayer [& therefore exempt from the law] or have enough $$$ to buy their own no matter how high the price skyrockets due to the limited supply.

Yes, a proper president would fix all this via executive order, but how likely is that to happen?

Offline |HB| Landric

The guy in the above video is actually shooting one on a visit to the Czech Republic.  He has at least one other video of his SBR Vz. 61 he has in the US.  As posted above, so far as I know, there are no transferrable Vz. 61s in the US.  Its a shame, I'd love to have one.  I got the form 1 back on my Vz. 61 recently, now looking for a gun smith to install the adaptor plate and stock.

My one and only MG is a M10/45, which is huge fun, but doesn't have as much character as a real Vz. 61.

anything