Author Topic: CAI assembled VZ2008....good deal, or stay away?  (Read 16514 times)

Offline turnip

CAI assembled VZ2008....good deal, or stay away?
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
Hey guys.

Just wanted to know what the general consensus was on the CAI VZ2008 sporters. Are they a good deal, or is it worth the extra money (really, twice as much) to just purchase a VZ-58 from our good friends at Czechpoint? Are there any real differences between the guns, and conversely; are there any similarities?

Offline 2fewdaysafield

Re: CAI assembled VZ2008....good deal, or stay away?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
Hey turnip!

I have no personal experience with the Century guns, but a number of folks on this board who I respect immensely hold them in very low esteem. If you are just looking for a cheap plinker, the CAI gun might foot the bill if you don't mind some frustration.

Conversely, if you think you might ever have to bet your life on a gun, I don't think you would want it to be from CAI.

Best.....2few

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
Anyone holding me in high esteem better check his esteemer. :)
I won't touch anything Century assembled, only the C&R guns they import in one peice. Some have had good luck with CAI, but not me.

Offline turnip

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. ;D  I've always been leery of Century Arms stuff, but the reviews on J&G's website got me wondering. I guess you do get what you pay for

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »
Glad you are back Mr. A!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
Thanks, glad to be back - don't miss out on the return to life giveaway!
I had a CAI CETME years ago, and it worked for one magazineful, then never worked again. I managed to sell it to a tinkerer for what I paid for it, and it took him another $100+ to get it to run...never again.

Offline Road Dawg

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
The assemblers at Century have the nickname, "Drunken Monkeys" among the mil-surp crowd for good reason.  I owned a Century assembled FAL, and let's just say when I sold it off I knew a LOT more about the FAL than I would have if I'd bought a functional rifle.  It was functional when I sold it, and a decent shooter to boot but only after a considerable amount of work by myself.  Their Galil builds interest me, but I won't touch anything from CAI.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:12:47 PM by Road Dawg »

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
HEY NOW!!! Lets not be disrespecting perfectly good monkeys by comparing them to CAI assemblers!  ;D

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
I'd have to agree with that.
The only reason thier Golani/Galil clone is halfway decent is they got smart, and apprently contracted the work out...

Offline jmp8927

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
That's what I have and I love it. I haven't handled anything other than mine, so I can't compare it with the others. However, the machining is beautiful with no marks anywhere. It also shoots very well. I got a 4 inch group at 100 yards using bulk Golden Tiger FMJ ammo. That was with irons sights also. Far as I know, the barrel is NOT chrome lined. However, 95% of all rifles in this country don't have chrome lined barrels. Clean it like it should be cleaned anyway, and it'll be fine.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
There ya go, that was what my boss at the range called a Wednesday gun. Built when they were sobered up from the weekend, and not drooling in anticipation of the upcoming weekend. :) Post a pic or two, sir!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:02:38 PM by armoredman »

Offline 2fewdaysafield

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
ROF lol lol lol LMAO lol lol lol

Oh Mr. A......you are a card!

Although, truth be told, for a while I knew a fella that had worked for GM for a number of years....the stories he told were enough to make any sane person not want to buy GM!  :o

Offline jmp8927

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Here are some pics. I've since taken most of that duct tape off, and put a layer of electrical tape around it to make it look better. I wasn't overly fond of the cheek weld on the tiny piece of metal.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
Well, looks like a nice one. One person here used a piece of foam pipe insulation to go over the folder for cofort during cheek weld. Another thought was wrapping with para cord.
Like I said, CAI can be hit or miss, and you hit one good. Mine hit me.

Offline DOJO

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »
Not sure if this is going to help me...

When I was buying my AK-74 build by CAI, I read a lot of information and it was like a roller coaster. Up and down, review are all other the place.
At the end all I can say it is like a gamble. Are you willing to accept the rifle if it is a miss, are you willing to deal with the CAI customer service, is what you need to ask your self.