Author Topic: 82/83 safety stiffness  (Read 2148 times)

Offline 7.62

82/83 safety stiffness
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »
A couple friends as well as myself have CZ. 82s and the safety is really stiff.  Is that normal?  My thoughts are that the safety is rarely is used, hence why they're so stiff.  Is there a way to make it a little less stiff?

Offline Wastelander

• The One-Man Leather Apocalypse
    • Wasteland Leatherwork
Re: 82/83 safety stiffness
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
A couple friends as well as myself have CZ. 82s and the safety is really stiff.  Is that normal?  My thoughts are that the safety is rarely is used, hence why they're so stiff.  Is there a way to make it a little less stiff?

The safety is held in place by that stiffness--if it wasn't stiff it wouldn't be very safe.  Is it really a problem?  I can snap it down to Fire with my thumb while drawing without any difficulty, so it shouldn't be so stiff as to be difficult, just stiff enough to snap into Safe and snap into Fire when you want it to
Author of Deadly Vanity.

Apocalyptic leatherworker.

Martial artist.

CZ owner (vz. 82).

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
There's a small spring and metal tab on the inside forward right hand tip of the safety that rides on a fixed ball on the frame. If it's gunked up, that can make the safety stiffer, but it should require a definite effort to engage/disengage.
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.

Offline 7.62

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
Took it apart and cleaned it today.  I'm trying to make the gun more mom-friendly. That was one of the complaints she had.  I am working on the magazine release now.

Offline SMSgt

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »
I've worked on my mag release also, but without a lot of luck. I polished down the burrs and rough edges but it didn't solve everything. It's still stiff when releasing from the left side, much easier to release from the right. I usually press it with my right index finger.

Offline Wastelander

• The One-Man Leather Apocalypse
    • Wasteland Leatherwork
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
I've worked on my mag release also, but without a lot of luck. I polished down the burrs and rough edges but it didn't solve everything. It's still stiff when releasing from the left side, much easier to release from the right. I usually press it with my right index finger.

I really need to take my mag release apart--it functions nice and smooth pushing it from the left side (strong hand thumb side) but I press the release with my middle finger on the right side, and it's a little catchy so I know there are burrs in there.  Really I'd like to take the whole thing apart and refinish it but I'm afraid it will take me forever and I might not be able to put it back together and it's my only gun
Author of Deadly Vanity.

Apocalyptic leatherworker.

Martial artist.

CZ owner (vz. 82).

Offline SMSgt

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
Fortunately, disassembling the mag release only requires pulling the trigger guard--simple enough. I'll rework mine one day when I'm really bored. It works okay, just not great.

Offline 7.62

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
Did you try removing some of the material from the mag release?