Author Topic: Removing Iron Sights from CZ550  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Hugo

Removing Iron Sights from CZ550
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
Hi, I'm using a scope on my CZ550 FS, and I would like to remove the sights. I tried the rear sight first, but even after removing all the screws the ramp wouldn't come off the barrel. Is it glued or soldered on there?

How does the front sight come off? I only see one Phillips head screw, is that it? What does that little push button on the front of the front sight do?

Thanks, Hugo

Offline mauserand9mm

Re: Removing Iron Sights from CZ550
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »
If it is anything like the standard CZ550 then it will be as follows:

Rear sight:
There are two screws next to each other on the ramp piece for sight adjustment - one for elevation and the other for windage. I forget which does what but you need to loosen the one that adjusts elevation and then the ramp should be able to be slid off completely (forward). There are two screws fixing the rear sight base to the barrel (one was hidden under the rear sight ramp) - you should be able to undo these and remove the base.

Front sight:
There are two screws holding the front sight base on. The rear screw is obvious but the front one is under the front sight blade. Depress the push button in front of the sight blade and then slide the sight blade forward - you'll have access to the front screw.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »
Thanks. It's the rear sight that's giving me trouble. I found and removed all the screws, but the sight base still won't come off the barrel. It almost looks like it's glued on. This would have to be from the factory, I bought the rifle brand new.

Offline maxtheflyinghorse

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
where about are you ? im actually looking for a front and rear sight for my 550..

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »
Thanks. It's the rear sight that's giving me trouble. I found and removed all the screws, but the sight base still won't come off the barrel. It almost looks like it's glued on. This would have to be from the factory, I bought the rifle brand new.

It may have some loc-tite under the base. Try a few drops of nail polish remover and/or heat the sight then some taps with a plastic or leather faced hammer.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
I went through this recently, and there is a thread I started about it. I had the barrel of my 550 standard shortened to 20", the front sight was still on the barrel end when the smith gave it back to me. The rear sight base would not budge even after removing the screws. As an experiment I put the barrel end in a vise and was able to pop it off with a mallet, but it had a much narrower base than the rear sight. A different smith got the rear base off by dropping some lacquer thinner down the screw holes and letting it soak over night. He still had to whack it with a mallet to get it off. It didn't mar the finish any (the thinner) but finding plug screws to fill the holes is impossible, or has been for me, so I just live with the holes on the barrel.

I don't know what brand of lacquer thinner he used, or whether or not some brands might damage the bluing or not.

Offline david s

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
To fill the metric M3.5X.6 CZ screw holes try the 6-40 plug screws. They are not identical but manufacturing tolerances being what they are the 6-40 have a reputation for fitting without any issues. To remove the sight try heating it with a hair dryer till hot and then tapping it sideways after removing the screws.

Offline david s

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
Remove the barreled action from the stock before heating so the stocks finish isn't damaged.

anything