Author Topic: CZ SP-01 Phantom at the range!  (Read 3046 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
CZ SP-01 Phantom at the range!
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »
Couldn't get to the post office, so I figured I might as well go shooting!

This brand new CZ SP-01 Phantom, the new choice of the Czech military and making it's way around the world, is a light, easy balancing full size duty handgun that doesn't feel or act big. Trigger had some minor roughness that worked out quickly, but it's a brand new gun, and I expected that. When I initially cleaned it, I marveled - haven't seen the insides of a brand new gun in a while! Very easy standard CZ takedown, no issues at all, got all the goop off and touched up with small spots of Weapon Shield on friction points. That was yesterday. Today, we were off to the races. :)

I didn't have a large selection of factory ammo, being a reloader and caster, so the only factory stuff I had was some old Remington 115gr JHP bulk stuff, everything else was reloads. Oh well.

I arrived at my favorite range, and my heart began racing, blood pounding, vision narrowed. Excited? No, MAD AS HADES!  >:( My range had been trashed over the holiday weekend, garbage from one end to the other. :banghead: The City worker was finishing up the cleanup, but I could see the huge piles of garbage, shot up boxes, blown out computers, etc., that he had picked up. His pickup truck and attached trailer were filled to the top with garbage before he left. I thanked him, wished I coud've gotten there in time to help - I should have tipped him!

So here I am, at my favorite range, calming down in the best way....without my camera...DANG! But I have my camera phone...

Eh. Oh well. All ammo including the factory stuff was in reload boxes. So, let's get started, shall we? I have this habit of testing ammo at 10 yards, standing two hand hold, just my way of doing things.:)
HEY! I left all those nice neatly printed targets at home! :(
Good thing I have some old ones left over.:o

This is the first 5 rounds I ever fired through this pistol, no warm up, nada.

Oh. Wow.

Me happy. ;D

Let's play chase the hole!

I am not the worlds greaest pistol shot by any means, but I was liking this.

Not bad. Don't like that target very much.

High and to the left of POA with the Golden Sabre reloads. Hmm.:scrutiny:

It likes my home cast lead round nose loads okay!

OK, but what about 25 yards? I shoot 25 yards at work once a year, but not that often with my own handguns, so, what the hey. Factory first...

Minute of bad guy...

Darn, I hate missing. Well, I can say with authority that an 8x11.5" piece of paper doesn't stand a chance! ;)
Brass was ejected forcefully almost exactly 90 degrees to my right, so I need to be in the far right lane, or the guy next to me ain't gonna be happy!
No jams, no burps, no failures of any kind, magazines loaded both to 10 and up to max of 18 each. Every time I loaded up it was like the gun was saying "Bring it!" Recoil was a little harder than it would have been with the steel framed SP-01 or Shadow, but it was quite manageable.
 Only a little under 200 rounds fired, but what fun! All I can say about this gun is - I NEED A GOOD CARRY HOLSTER! The Phantom IS everything people said it was...wow. This will be a great sidearm.:cool:

Offline Stones

Re: CZ SP-01 Phantom at the range!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
Looks like your one step closer to getting the brass to switch over from Glocks.

Ugh! Get the Shadow or a Phantom?

Keep up the good work.
"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford

We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem! - Chesty Puller, USMC

-CZ P-01, SP-01 Shadow (among others)