Author Topic: Is it possible to have a bad day at the range? Yes, yes it is.  (Read 3003 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Is it possible to have a bad day at the range? Yes, yes it is.
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
I went out with the vz-58 today, intending on doing three things, getting it sighted in after the removal of the EOTech, shooting at 300 yards for one persons curiosity, and testing some cast bullet loads at 50 yards.
That DIDN'T quite work out the way I had planned...

When I got out to the range, I suddenly realized I had left my shooting bench behind. All groups were fired kneeling, instead. Ok, been there, done that, we can handle it. Oops, left the camera behind. OK, no prob, phone camera is just fine for quick and dirty pictures.

BTW, this was the first test of ObiwanbonJovis' American made gas piston rod - worked PERFECTLY...the only thing that did.

Set up at 100 yards, sight on the 100 yard mark. Fired 5 of my favorite reloads. Hmm. Took a picture, taped and adjusted to the battle sight. Fired 5 more. Better. Took picture, taped and moved it back to 200, but while walking it out there to 200 the wind came up HARD.. With battle sight, fired 5, walked out, took picture, (not great).  When I finished my string of five, my metal based target stand blew over. This bodes ill. BUT, I made a promise to try this, so I taped it on the stand as tight as I could, and walked it out to the far end of the range. Whaddya know, I was wrong, it actually IS 300 yards. Walked/pushed by the wind back to the bench, loaded up, took position, fired 5. At 300 yards a B-27 target is the same width as the front sight post. Realized after I was done that my target looked "odd".
Walked out, discovered the wind had torn the target across the chest, and everything below the collar bone was flopping in the dust. I looked at the fragment, saw a tear in the target that looked like an ODD hit, realized that the only thing I could be sure I hit was my target stand! When the wind was pushing it from behind it tilted forward, and the bullet neatly impacted the TOP of the leg, and then up through the target. Weird, didn't hurt anything, really. I guess I am good at shooting a bad guy in the foot at 300 yards...
Brought the stand back to 50 yards, weighting the legs down with rocks - I am NOT gonna drive all the way out here, fire 20 rounds and go home! Nope, I fired 10 of the cast bullets, got a decent group that was not near POA, watched the target stand throw off the rocks and go sailing.
DONE!
Uploaded all the pics from my camera phone...NOT! You noticed I kept saying I took pictures? Yep, but only ONE uploaded, this one at 100 yards, taped holes are from 100 yard sight, untaped are battle sight.

Threw everything in the car and came home for spam and eggs, only to find my eggs were frozen solid.

I need to go back to bed and start this day over...

Offline Utlagi

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
Re: Is it possible to have a bad day at the range? Yes, yes it is.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
If you didn't have bad days the good ones wouldn't feel nearly as good.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Mrs Armoredman

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
If you didn't have bad days the good ones wouldn't feel nearly as good.

You are so right. (Armoredman honey I have had bad days at the range too. Remember when We were at TMP range? My Rami didn't like the ammo we were using? I had a stove pipe after a jam and I wanted to throw it in the trash or down range? Don't worry about it so much. There will be other days that will be good. There will be other days that will be bad. Just take it as it comes and everything will be ok.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »
Yep, that was my first generation reloads - bad stuff they were. :'( :-\
I'll be back out soon, and I shall conquer! ;D

Offline alank2

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
Hi,

I'll be back out soon, and I shall conquer! ;D

That is the spirit!!!

I'll never forget the time I went to the range for the express purpose to chrono some test loads, only to get there, get setup, and find my chrono battery dead because I left it on...  So you are there, wanting to shoot, but if you shoot up your test rounds, you'll just have to make up some more test rounds for a future session...

Thanks,

Alan

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:12:05 AM »
  It happens about twice a year.  I go to an IPSC match somewhere and there's a competitor who shows up with his, say, 1911 in 45acp, and he brought 9mm ammo.  It's usually some iteration of the above.  I did that in my 20s. It took me a 5hr drive to Ohio and not being able to find ammo anywhere......it wasn't a pretty drive either, but I learned.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »
Every day I go to the range is a good one, regardless of how well I shoot.

Heading back to my favorite range tomorrow...our family farm.  My Grandpa christened it the "Muddy Flats" when they bought it in the early 60's.  Just going home and spending time with my Grandpa and Pa is a victory in itself.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:34 AM »
When I shot in compaction, I found it was very time consuming (and sometimes embarrassing) to sit and sift MY brass out of the thousands shoot that match?SO
I thought, ?I?ll just take and shoot range brass at the matches and save the hassle !?
Scoop up the number I shoot +/- (usually +++) and call it good (I?d end-up with quite a few of mine anyway)
Sort-out the best and reload?And this worked well?For a while?UNTIL
One night, while running the course on a ?Night (no light) Shoot?
About three quarters of the way through, (good time and score up to then) I had the head blow off of a (range) case
The flash was so intense, it about blinded me, and add to that, the bits of brass I caught in the face?WELL
I didn?t finish well that night to say the least
That was about the worst experience I?ve ever had at the ?Range?
Shoot safe all, Den S