Author Topic: Witness 40 Cracked Slide  (Read 9620 times)

Offline JJH

Witness 40 Cracked Slide
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
We have all heard the reports of cracked slides on the Witness Steel in 10 and 40, well mine just joined the club.  I have around 2000-2500 rounds down the pipe.  All factory loads, never have put a handload down the pipe.  Off EAA it goes >:( 

Worst part, I was just taking it to the range for one last ride.  My new small frame came in yesterday, and I am picking it up tomorrow.  I was just planning on selling it this weekend.  I hope EAA turns it around fast >:(

Offline Gary1911A1

Re: Witness 40 Cracked Slide
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
Sorry to see that happen to you. Hope they take care of it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Sorry to see that happen to you. Hope they take care of it.

+1 !
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline muncie21

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
My 10 has a similar crack.  Interested to see how long it takes and what (if any) you are charged for the repair.

Offline fuzz2moe

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:52:24 AM »
JJH, is that your 10mm or 40 that cracked? If that's the 40, that'd be only the 2nd one that has ever done that. I'm not sure how long the turnaround will be, but EAA will take care of it. Try calling Kristy at 1-800-536-4442 ext 201. If she's at lunch, leave your number and she'll get back to you. Tell her Fuzzy sent you. I know she'll make it right.
I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys lol

Offline Blown Nitro Pontiac

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
These Witnesses in .40 and 10mm seem to have a problem, but what about the 9mm variants?

I ask this because Tanfoglio takes out a LOT of metal when they lighten/scallop the slide on this model.  However, I've noticed on the Rock Island Armory/Armscor 9mm version that I have, the slide is NOT lightened like this.  Rather, it is "slab sided", with more room to do the "Rock Island Armory" rollstamp.

Thoughts?

Offline JJH

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
JJH, is that your 10mm or 40 that cracked? If that's the 40, that'd be only the 2nd one that has ever done that. I'm not sure how long the turnaround will be, but EAA will take care of it. Try calling Kristy at 1-800-536-4442 ext 201. If she's at lunch, leave your number and she'll get back to you. Tell her Fuzzy sent you. I know she'll make it right.

Its a 40, no handloads, nothing but Federal factory loads. 

Looking over at Brian Enos, a guy over there said his 40 went thru 3 slides before they finally just put a older square top on.  This leaves me to believe that its happened more than twice.  I sent them an email and Paul just told me to send it in to the be repaired.  I am going to go ahead and call on Monday and specifically request they put on a square top instead of the round top.

Offline fuzz2moe

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
My guess is that it is Steve from my forum that your talking about. He did have I think 2 slides  (maybe it was 3, I know one was a replacement) that cracked. I guess what I should have said was that there was only one person to my knowledge that has had a slide issue with the 40SW. They did replace his with a (older) square slide, but I was surprised that they found one for it because I didn't think they had any left. I do know that they fired numerous rounds thru his gun trying to figuire out why it happened, but I don't know what they found out. Keep in mind, this isn't an EAA issue, but a Tanfoglio issue. All EAA can do as an importer is try and make it right for you. Please talk to Kristy if you can and let her know I sent you and I'll try and help you get this resolved.
I live by the rule that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission when buying my toys lol

Offline schmeky

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »
This is strictly my opinion, but I don't personally see the need in heat treating the slide and frame to the hardness Tanfoglio deems proper.  Heat treating is an excellent method to extend the life of a component, but it also makes the part much more "brittle".

I hope this is resolved to the OP's satisfaction.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
This is strictly my opinion, but I don't personally see the need in heat treating the slide and frame to the hardness Tanfoglio deems proper. 

What C scale hardness do they deem proper?

???

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »
Blownn Notro Pontiac,

I don't have a Rockwell Hardness Tester, but I have tried to mill Witness Slides and frames in the past.  A HSS milling cutter will "smoke" and dull, being rendered useless in seconds.  Micro grain carbide cutters will work, but dull very quickly.  Usually a single pass making a .020" depth cut will take the edge off carbide.

Even the trigger is heat treated, therefore you cannot install an over-travel stop.  Oddly, the only main parts not heat treated are the sear and hammer; you would think these would be prime candidates for heat treating.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
Seems like Tanfoglio's paint (red dot on the safety) lasts longer than their slides....

::)

Offline schmeky

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I really like some of the improvements Tanfoglio engineers have designed into the original CZ pistol. 

If Tanfoglio could deliver the improvements without the weird sights (on the standard model), over zealous heat treating, in some cases sub standard mags (Sabatti instead of Mec-gar), combined with one of the worst importers for customer service (EAA), they could potentially enjoy a much better market share.

Please keep in mind this is strictly my opinion.

Offline JJH

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
Good news.  7 (calendar) days from my UPS depot, back to my front door. I am actually really impressed from the stories I have heard, about EAA customer service.

Included with my return shipping check and letter I mentioned I would prefer a old style squared top replacement slide. Sure enough, they replaced the slide and a new barrel. 

Now the interesting thing.  I forgot to include my Mag with the gun when I shipped it out.  EAA was kind enough to ship me a brand new one when they sent it back.  But this mag does not look like my other 40 mags.  First of all, it is a K10 mag (obviously a 10mm).  Black follower, and the mag body is a Matte blued finish as opposed to all my glossy blue 40 mags.  Any idea if this is just an older style mag?  If it feeds when I get it out to the range I may end up picking up a couple more.

I doubt they watch the forums, but I will still say it, THANKS EAA!

Offline Barlow7

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
I had a 45 slide crack on me after a couple hundred rounds. They replaced the slide with an older square model. The gun had trouble feeding hollow points with the old slide, but has improved after EAA fitted the new slide to the gun.

Mike G.