Author Topic: CZ 52 firing pin FIX  (Read 4047 times)

Offline JohnEd

CZ 52 firing pin FIX
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
I had been told that the reason the 52 firing pins broke was that they were over hardened.  I delicately dragged a Swiss file across the end surface of my firing pin and the file was biting.  I removed no material in doing this at that time.  The firing pin in the CZ I have was not hard steel or at least not "overly" hard.

I had also been told that the primers on mil surplus ammo were very tough and that they over taxed the firing pin.  I took a couple bullets apart from samples of two different east block manufactures and I also bought a box of Seller Bellot(spendy) bullets.  "Shooting: the primered cases I made dents in samples of all the ammo.  I measured and found that the firing pin left an impression of exactly the same depth on ALL casing primers.  So much for the "hard primer" theory.  What I also noticed was that the pin left a "holy crap" deep punch in all of the primers.  Way to deep.  Now the Seller ammo was boxer primed and the boxer has a cup that the pin pushes into and the primer had the "anvil" built in and it crushes.  The Berdan has a different mechanism and the primer is pressed in over a stout brass projection in the center of the primer pocket.  When the firing pin hit the center of a Berdan primer it first punches in the primer and then it should stop.  In the 52 it keeps going and punches so deep that it flattens and crushes the brass tip in the primer pocket.  That is abusive and not at all necessary to ignite the primer.  THE FIRING PIN IS TOO LONG IN THE TIP.  EVEN THE BOXER PRIMERS ARE CONSPICUOUSLY STRUCK WITH TOO MUCH FORCE.  My fix was to file some of the firing pin away so it only penetrated the primer as far as need be to reliably fire the primer.  The firing pin has a shoulder that actually stops the forward motion.  I expect this firing pin to last my lifetime.

Hopes this reduces the amt you spend to shoot and makes your firearm more reliable.

HTH,

John

Offline ipijohn

Re: CZ 52 firing pin FIX
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »
I had been told that the reason the 52 firing pins broke was that they were over hardened.  I delicately dragged a Swiss file across the end surface of my firing pin and the file was biting.  I removed no material in doing this at that time.  The firing pin in the CZ I have was not hard steel or at least not "overly" hard.

I had also been told that the primers on mil surplus ammo were very tough and that they over taxed the firing pin.  I took a couple bullets apart from samples of two different east block manufactures and I also bought a box of Seller Bellot(spendy) bullets.  "Shooting: the primered cases I made dents in samples of all the ammo.  I measured and found that the firing pin left an impression of exactly the same depth on ALL casing primers.  So much for the "hard primer" theory.  What I also noticed was that the pin left a "holy crap" deep punch in all of the primers.  Way to deep.  Now the Seller ammo was boxer primed and the boxer has a cup that the pin pushes into and the primer had the "anvil" built in and it crushes.  The Berdan has a different mechanism and the primer is pressed in over a stout brass projection in the center of the primer pocket.  When the firing pin hit the center of a Berdan primer it first punches in the primer and then it should stop.  In the 52 it keeps going and punches so deep that it flattens and crushes the brass tip in the primer pocket.  That is abusive and not at all necessary to ignite the primer.  THE FIRING PIN IS TOO LONG IN THE TIP.  EVEN THE BOXER PRIMERS ARE CONSPICUOUSLY STRUCK WITH TOO MUCH FORCE.  My fix was to file some of the firing pin away so it only penetrated the primer as far as need be to reliably fire the primer.  The firing pin has a shoulder that actually stops the forward motion.  I expect this firing pin to last my lifetime.

Hopes this reduces the amt you spend to shoot and makes your firearm more reliable.

HTH,

John

I read this same thing on another forum about six months ago and shortened my firing pin using the same method you used. So far about 500 rounds through the 52 with no issues.  BTW, I did before and after measurements and ended up removing .015 inch from the end of the firing pin.

Offline josey88

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »
I did better than that ...  I replaced the firing pin with a  #3  Harrington firing pin and reduced the pull to 4 lbs . No more broke firing pins and now I have a 1911 type trigger pull.   

Offline Surculus

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:45 AM »
I had been told that the reason the 52 firing pins broke was that they were over hardened. 

Funny, I'd read over on www.makarov.com in the CZ52 section that the reason the firing pins broke was because they were cast steel, in the interests of production economy. [Pity that Karl? had to shut down the makarov.com store, but at least the site is still up (for now.) I'd suggest anyone interested save a web archive to their local machine against the day that the site disappears for good...]

Thanks for the info about adjusting the firing pin protrusion: that's more about saving oneself the hazards of a pierced primer than firing pin longevity in my opinion, but regardless, it's an important caveat that is easily overlooked! Much obliged.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:10:23 AM »
Sur,

Being only semi literate, how might I "suggest anyone interested save a web archive to their local machine against the day that the site disappears for good...]" ?

Thank you,

John

Offline Surculus

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
Being only semi literate, how might I "suggest anyone interested save a web archive to their local machine against the day that the site disappears for good...]" ?

When you look under the File menu, there's an option to "Save As...": the ellipsis means that selecting that menu option will open a dialog box. In that dialog box, you have the options of saving a web page as strictly the html file, the web page complete [which means it copies graphics, etc. to a supporting files folder] & so on. Obviously, you want the "save page complete" option.

Then it is simply a matter of navigating around the site saving all the pages that you think you might want to refer to again at some time in the future. Kind of a hassle, but vital for any page that has valuable info that you might want to reference again. And w/ hard drive space in the range of $200/Tb in these modern times, tying up a few Mb w/ info you really want is hardly a concern.

Just look at all the hobbiest web sites on Geocities that are now dead links? I've had to cull at least a dozen from my bookmarks over the past couple years. Wish I'd saved some of them; others, eh, no great loss... ;-)

I archived everything over at the Gunwriters on the Web site the P.T. Kekkonen used to write [R.I.P, Pete!] a couple years ago, because who knows how long it will stay up/ not have access blocked by the fearful Obamanation our govt. has become? [That's part of why I despise Flash so wholeheartedly: not only does it slow the web to a crawl, but you've got to work at it to save the d@mn stuff & then it takes up way too much space for the info it contains! :P]