Author Topic: EMP attack  (Read 6749 times)

Offline wgungho

EMP attack
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
I've read about economic collapse, nuclear attack, zombies, etc., but I haven't seen anything about an EMP attack, which is probably worse than anything short of a major nuclear exchange.  A single nuclear device exploded high in the atmosphere over the central U.S. would knock out all electrical power (and not for a brief period), all post-1980 vehicles, including farm equiptment, trains, planes, and communications of all sorts.  If you're in a city of any size, food is completely gone after a few weeks, or a few months out in the country.  No medicine for the seiously ill.  No help at all if you're not near the coastal area, and then not quickly.  Bands of "new barbarians" after a very short time.  One medium nuclear device that could be mounted on an advanced Scud, launched in the Gulf of Mexico from a container ship, detonated over the mid-west, and we're in the sh***er.

"One Second After," by William Forstchen, describes a very probable senario.  He's a professor of military history and technology history.  A study was commissoned by the government, and presented the very same day that the 9-11 report was submitted.  The EMP study was, of course, backtracked.  The study, by "The Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse Attack," was critized by the left as some sort of scare tactic, but was comprised of noted scientists.

There's actually a fair amount of information on the internet, if you're willing to read about.  bleepned scary.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: EMP attack
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
An excellent online fiction story was written about this exact scenario, called "Lights Out". Go without refrigeration, A/C, cell phones,  I-Pads and internet? Many of our young will self destruct, possibly violently, especially when they realize 911 no longer works, nor do those expensive cop cars...

Offline GEORGETHEGREEK

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
lol

funny as it seems i have an R1200GS BMW bgike which as portraid would stop functioning if there was an EMP attack along with my car.

Funnyly enough 18 months ago i went along on a project where i bypassed with the BMW bike technician (who happens to be a best buddy of mine) the whole of the electronic part of the bike. (cpu along with any other electronic parts as well as the immobiliser)

A new set of traditional carburators and fuel lines along with an independant ignition circuit was devised and put in place.
After fine tuning the new recipe on a dyno the parts were taken off teh bike and the bike brought back to factory status (minus whatever power improvements i have made)

I have the kit close to my gun cabinet and should be a matter of an hour or so to install under pressure.

Now that along with a cave (on of the many we have here) are my own solutions.

I have my means of transport and the cave.

Few short words on the cave,
still needs a lot of work to make it better but for the time being i have made a 25 cubic meter enclosed water basin and a good stash of long term canned food, a couple of barrels of fuel and a barrel of diesel.
Wood is abundant enough in the area. (for fighting the cold)
its located 825 m above sea level and is the best i could come close to a bunker since those cost much more than i could possibly afford... lol

I have this plan as a back up for any extreme situation along with that supposed and far fetched EMP attack. (Myself i was more moved by a solar storm scenario)

Anyway all of this is propably not going to be needed, ever, but its still a nice hobby and chance to escape from boring days along with a couple of friends.

Offline Surculus

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
I've read about economic collapse, nuclear attack, zombies, etc., but I haven't seen anything about an EMP attack, which is probably worse than anything short of a major nuclear exchange.

Clearly you weren't watching Fox network back in the y2k/2k1 tv season when Dark Angel aired. That's the show that "made" Jessica Alba. Good sci-fi, but Fox execs kept jerking it around and killed it. It didn't help that James Cameron kept going over budget & was late getting episodes in the can. After Fox canned it, James Cameron started getting serious about sci-fi & began working on Avatar: & we all know how that ended up!

It's pretty entertaining; if you like sci-fi you should check it out. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:26:08 PM by armoredman »

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »
EMP attack is not too far fetched.  The Iranians are working on this as a part of their nuclear program with the reported target being the US.  Apparently tied to this plan is a naval basing agreement with Venezuela and/or Cuba.  Iran apparent plans to put corvette or frigate sized vessels with the plan for them to operate in the Gulf of Mexico.  Global Security website doesn't speak highly of the Iranian Navy due to it's small size.  It is a coastal force and not real effective.  Their Kilo class subs are still having "technical problems" with plenty to range to reach the Gulf of Mexico of they can fix them.

Part of this with Iran's support Hezbollah is working to acquire missile sites for ballistic missiles in this hemisphere.  The question is will the US take aggressive action to prevent any of this with direct military force like the "Cuban Missile Crisis".   The difference is that the Soviet Union was much more realistic than Iran & Hezbollah.

The question about EMP weapons amd missiles to launch them here may be more obvious over time.  Based on some details with EMP when I was in the Army, they would disrupt a lot of critical business communications in the country with a very serious impact.  Most of the military systems are hardened somewhat for this.

This will rapidly move from diplomacy to some action in the White House based on who is in the Oval Office.  The EMP scenario is scary as are Iranians corvettes and frigates in the Gulf of Mexico going after offshore production platforms.  Based on my weak memory, there aren't any naval bases in the Gulf of Mexico to trump this.  The Coast Guard is too weak to take on missile carrying vessels.

This implausible SHTF issue.  A friend told me it wouldn't happen.  I wonder now what they would say  if this question had been asked about 911 before 911.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
I wouldn't count out the Coast Guard, they have some good warriors and ships down there. As for the Iranian Navy, I was there when we faced them in '88, and they came up short...real short.  It took them this long to rebuild from what we did to them in a day.
Kilos? Ancient junk, a single 688 boat from the 80s could take them all on with little effort. All we would need is a leader with guts and fire...where do we find one?

Offline myles

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:52:30 AM »
And just who would provide air cover for this Iranian operation?  The short lived nature of surface operations without it was demonstrated 70 years ago.  In addition to Armordman's trailing fast attack boats.  And an AEGIS-BMD task force.  And ground based Patriot.  And on and on.

I think the guy who pushed the deployment of ballistic missile defense AEGIS systems, ordered the Bin Laden and al-Awlaki operations, as well as numerous other steps that actually improve our security has done a pretty good, and quiet, job.

anything