Author Topic: New Load-new bullet-new powder.  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Mr. Sasquatch

Re: New Load-new bullet-new powder.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »

I thought you were a big fan of Berry's HBRN bullets?  ;)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
Is 7625 a single-base powder? 

There are very few single-base powders available. Solo-1000 and Solo-1250 are, but they come is 12oz cans they are so fluffy.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
I thought you were a big fan of Berry's HBRN bullets?  ;)

Those are for my 38 Super gun. I might shoot some in my SP-01, but they are mostly for my 1911.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Berrys MFG

• Berry's Manufacturing
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »
I look on occasion to see if Hodgdon has placed any data for our bullets on their website and you will never guess what I found, data for one of our 9mm bullets.  I had to knock the dust off my sales sheet to find where the .38 Super (9mm) 130gr RN bullet ranked in sales numbers. 
Jay R. Phillips
www.berrysmfg.com

Loic

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
I do not want to highjack the thread but I need some help.
I received my bullet but I am not sure about the data I need to use, it will be my first time reloading.  the powder i'll use will be the Win 231.

here from the rainier web site :

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
If you tell us the bullet weight and "nose shape", we might be able to offer some suggestions.

The Hogdon site does have "some" lead data for for 115gr and 124gr rn and conical nose bullets.  http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
The Lee 2nd edition manual has a few also.
I suspect Lyman's would also have lead data for 231/HP38.
Several "plated" bullets also show data for 231/HP38 and could be used  with a little "english' on the powder quantity.

Give us a little more info.

Loic

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
Sry, 115 gr bullets, round nose.

Sent from my EVO 3 D using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
This is one from Hogdon:  click on link above.  Select "cartridge", 9mm luger, HP38/231, 115gr, look for LRN (lead round nose, etc)
Cartridge:  9mm Luger
Load Type:  Pistol
 Starting Loads------------------------------------------------------------------Maximum Loads

------Bullet--------Powder----Bullet Diam---C.O.L. Grs.- (ft/s) -Pressure--- Grs.-(ft/s)--- Pressure -------------------------

115 GR. LRN  Hodgdon  HP-38  .356"        1.100"  4.3  1079  28,400 CUP  4.8  1135  32,000 CUP 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:02:11 PM by 1SOW »

Offline johnnyrees

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
Excuse my 2 cents worth Loic but what over all length are your rounds going to be....thats another factor that would affect the quantity of powder being used

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »
The OAL in the published data, is the "minimum" oal/col.

A longer oal will need a skosh (.1-.2 grs) more HP38/231 powder depending on how long you want..

ALWAYS start at the low end and work up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:09:21 PM by 1SOW »

Offline johnnyrees

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
The only reason I brought it up 1SOW was that the oal which work in my 75b are consistently lower than the published data...this calls for some thoughtfull judgment on a starting load

Loic

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
The only reason I brought it up 1SOW was that the oal which work in my 75b are consistently lower than the published data...this calls for some thoughtfull judgment on a starting load

for the overall lenght, if the ammo I'm using now works well in my phantom, I should use this ?
I have read in the reloading manual and on the web, that case lenght difference is not a problem, now to me it doesnt make sens,to me, if the bullet is seated at the same depht with different lenght brass then the powder amount should be changed,  and if the press is adjusted to an overall lenght  and then a longer brass is then used, the bullet will be much deeper into that case (which I dont think it would be a good idea)

can someone shed some light.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
I agree that experience is a major ingredient. 
I'm not smart on 115gr.  I use 124/125gr (working on 130) for everything I shoot.  Most "RN" bullets with a traditional ogive don't have to be loaded short. Now that I've blurted that out, I know there are exceptions to the norm.   :-[
We may get into the "push" and "drop-in" tests before Loic gets a load developed. ;D
I'm just trying to steer Loic into "using published data" , especially as a new reloader.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:46:38 PM by 1SOW »

Loic

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
This is one from Hogdon:  click on link above.  Select "cartridge", 9mm luger, HP38/231, 115gr, look for LRN (lead round nose, etc)
Cartridge:  9mm Luger
Load Type:  Pistol
 Starting Loads------------------------------------------------------------------Maximum Loads

------Bullet--------Powder----Bullet Diam---C.O.L. Grs.- (ft/s) -Pressure--- Grs.-(ft/s)--- Pressure -------------------------

115 GR. LRN  Hodgdon  HP-38  .356"        1.100"  4.3  1079  28,400 CUP  4.8  1135  32,000 CUP

thanks, that is the one I had found, but I prefer to triple check with you guys, been the first time reloading, I am not taking any chances.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
I have read in the reloading manual and on the web, that case lenght difference is not a problem, now to me it doesnt make sens,to me, if the bullet is seated at the same depht with different lenght brass then the powder amount should be changed,  and if the press is adjusted to an overall lenght  and then a longer brass is then used, the bullet will be much deeper into that case (which I dont think it would be a good idea)

If the case has--say--1/4" of powder in it, and the press is set to an oal of 1.XX;  if one case is a few thousandths longer/shorter than another,  the base of the bullet IS STILL the exact same distance from the powder (+/- press and reloader pull variations on oal and slight bullet length variations).  Case length does have some effect, but safety is not an issue with minor case-length differences.

Hope this makes sense.

Do you have a loading manual?  I hope your going to say, "YES, of course!"  Does your manual give any 115gr lrn loads for 231/HP38?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:40:38 PM by 1SOW »

anything