Author Topic: Accuracy of 550 Varmint vs 550 American, 308  (Read 5482 times)

Offline coolbox

Accuracy of 550 Varmint vs 550 American, 308
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:28:46 AM »
I have an option of a new 550 American in 308. Should I wait for a 550 varmint to be available if I weigh accuracy more than other factors (weight etc). Or are they equally accurate. I may want to shoot at 600mtrs (660yds) a year from now, 400yds right away, some casual competition among range buddies, besides the usual hunts at much lesser distances. Advise would be appreciated. The calibre has to be 308, due to economic availability in my region.
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline ZG47

• Firearms Safety Instructor, Target Shooter, Hunter
Re: Accuracy of 550 Varmint vs 550 American, 308
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:14:09 AM »
Varmint makes a lot of sense for range work at those distances BUT waay too heavy for hunting!
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:12:50 AM »
Thank you ZG47.

Any idea of what would be difference in MOA accuracy for the two? I am concerned at how less accurate would the American be in comparison to the Varmint.

Offline m39nut

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
I think I would want both but if I had to choose I would take the varmit.  At 600 yards and for any sustained shooting where the barrel would heat up, I would definately want the varmit. I shot high power service rifles for years and there is a reason we all use a heavy barrel. But for hunting, I would much prefer the lighter weight barrel but the extra weight would not be a show stopper. Keep in mind both the G3 and the FAL weigh over 12 pounds loaded and Germany is still using the G3 in Afghanistan for a DMR.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
So I understand that there is a difference in accuracy of varmint and american, with varmint being more accurate, specially for a competition at 600yds, involving multiple shots.
That makes me wait for the varmint, till it arrives..sigh....maybe I wanted to hear that both are just as accurate!

Offline viking499

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »
Both are just as accurate on a given number of shots..............

Offline ZG47

• Firearms Safety Instructor, Target Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
During a competition, and especially on a hot day, the heavy barrel is likely to deliver more consistent accuracy but another factor to consider is that the extra weight will help to stabilise the rifle whilst you are holding it for your shot.

Individual accuracy must be confirmed by shooting. Having said that, a lighter rifle may prevail in a 4P (20 shot total) match, with the situation possibly reversing when the competition changes to a 40 shot match with similar time allowance per shot. I say again ... Individual accuracy must be confirmed by shooting.

By the way, when you conduct your testing you may want to follow some recent advice from David Tubb. He indicated that changing powder and or bullet jacket material during a shooting session (without thorough barrel cleaning prior to the change) can have unexpected accuracy outcomes, i.e. use one type of powder and one type/brand of bullet for working up your long range loads.

Best of luck, and remember that there are two good reasons for dry firing before live firing:

1. To eliminate the creaks and smooth out the functions of your own muscles and tendons.

2. To smooth out the working of your firearm with especial reference to the trigger mechanism. The trigger needs a bit of working if it hasn't been used for a while and the more complicated triggers seem to need more working than the simpler ones after a period of rest.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline dancz

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »
Both are just as accurate on a given number of shots..............

Never a truer word has been spoken. To get really small groups only shoot the one shot. :)
New Zealand

Offline coolbox

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. Got some nice information here. Will try to pick what ever I can first lay hands on, and will post details. I may have to wait a couple weeks out before I am sure that varmint is not available at all or otherwise.

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »
out to 200, not much between them, after that i would go for the longer, heavier barrel, i would avoid the plastic stocked version american. i shot afew rounds out of the american ,before one of the guys at the range changed it for the varmint . it was very punchy and heated up after 2 rounds- the reason he changed it . the american definately is a hunting only rifle.

Offline m39nut

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
Many years ago I worked at Remington. The rifle all of us who shot a lot never wanted was the mountain rifle. After 3 shots the barrel heated up because it was so light that the group size would increase dramatically. My M24 or the 40X, on the other hand, you could shoot all day and it would hold tight.

Offline coolbox

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »
out to 200, not much between them, after that i would go for the longer, heavier barrel, i would avoid the plastic stocked version american. i shot afew rounds out of the american ,before one of the guys at the range changed it for the varmint . it was very punchy and heated up after 2 rounds- the reason he changed it . the american definately is a hunting only rifle.

Is the standard 550 (or the american) really that bad? Or for that matter, all 'thin' barrelled rifles are such? I will have to rethink my options I guess.

Offline KBW

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »

Is the standard 550 (or the american) really that bad? Or for that matter, all 'thin' barrelled rifles are such? I will have to rethink my options I guess.
I don't think CZ 550 is a bad rifle at all but as buddy.223 said, it's a hunting rifle. It's not an appropriate rifle for target shooting and expecting it to perform well during prolonged target shooting sessions in which you might have to fire multiple groups of 5 rounds each would be asking too much from this rifle, in my view. As our shooting instructors used to say, "if the rifle is too hot to touch, it is not good to fire". Shooting excessively with a hunting rifle would wear out the bore early and would reduce the barrel life and accuracy. Or you should be looking at shooting groups of 3 rounds at one time, let the barrel cool down and than shoot the next group, ensuring proper cleaning immediately after the shooting session.   

550 Varmint would be a better option as already discussed but if that is not available, 550 is the option, though not a good one for target shooting. Better start hunting.... buddy  ;)   

Offline coolbox

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »
Mr. KBW, good (and surprised) to see you here...the hunt is on, thankyou for the input. It will have to be a varmint. Will update when done with.