Author Topic: 9 mm or 40 S&W  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Pico

9 mm or 40 S&W
« on: October 14, 2002, 03:16:55 PM »
I want to get a CZ 100 but am wondering how the 9 mm and 40 S&W versions compare. Anybody have both or has anybody shot both? Any preferences? The price is identical as far as I can see.

Offline bullsi1911

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 04:52:36 PM »
I got the 9mm Para gun, But that is because I think porting has no place on a Self defence gun.

Now, if they came out with a .357SIG model, I might get another.

Offline Pico

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 06:39:40 PM »
Why no to porting? Is this in case you have to shoot while the weapon is close in?

I don't understand the adjustable sights on what is obviously a self defense or LEO-type firearm. The adjustable sights and ports seem to be more indicated for a range pistol.

Mainly, I was really interested in how well this gun frame works in 40 cal. It looks sturdy enough for 9 mil but I wondered how well it holds up in the 40.

Also, is the ported 40 more or less pleasant to shoot than the 9. I would think recoil would be a bit heavier, naturally, but muzzle flip should be the same if not better than the 9 without porting. Unfortunately, our local range does not rent CZ pistols so I have to rely on the forum...

Offline Radom

• HGWT
9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2002, 07:32:41 PM »
...strike again!  If your gun has enough "evil" features, I believe you can cancel one out with a "sporting" feature.  The adjustable sights make the gun easier to import.  Sigh.  This may be incorrect, as I originally heard this on the internet...
The artist formerly known as FEG...

dleong

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2002, 08:10:56 PM »
Pico,

I cannot speak for the 9mm version, but my 40S&W CZ100 is a hoot to shoot! The compensator ports and my relatively warm handloads containing the older, dirtier burning Unique powder make for a flamingly spectacular shooting experience. That V-shaped flash from the ports is way out of proportion to the size of the pistol, and does draw its share of attention at the range.

Theatrical pyrotechnics aside, the compensator ports do help to reduce muzzle flip on the CZ100. I have noticed this when shooting both my CZ100 and 40S&W 75B.

DL

Offline bullsi1911

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2002, 08:42:14 PM »
I think CZ put the ports on the gun so that such a small and light gun did not bury the front sight in yer forehead when fired.  But putting ports on a gun makes it do 2 things you don't want on a gun that might be used in self defence
1) Directs more sound to the shooter.  Fire that puppy inside a hallway or closed car without hearing protectors, and you will probably need hearing aids for the rest of your life.
2) Makes the gun dangerous in 2 directions, the muzzle and the ports.  If you have to fire it in close to your body, and that jet of burning gasses, burning powder, and copper and lead shavings blasts up uour nose and in your eyes.  That can make follow up shots a tad difficult.

Just my opinion, but if you want to see something, take a sheet of cardboard and hold it a foot or 2 over the ports on a compensated handgun when it is fired.  I don't want that happening to my face.

Offline PragueCzech

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2002, 01:09:17 PM »
... what exactly is "porting" (I do have a faint idea) and what is the direction these ports face?  Side? down?

Thanks..

Offline PragueCzech

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2002, 01:13:52 PM »
It says so on the price list - "CZ 110 r. 9mm LUGER (.40 S&W)"...

However considering the gun specs only have 9 mm Luger and 9 x 21 I think it's likely to be a typo.

Would love the 110 in .40 though... :(

Offline PragueCzech

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2002, 01:21:14 PM »
The photo they show IS a cal .40 S&W !  I'll ask in the factory shop, but I think I just found my next handgun! :)

Offline PragueCzech

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2002, 01:23:18 PM »
They should of course go to another thread... Sorry!

dleong

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2002, 07:47:32 AM »
Quote:
Just my opinion, but if you want to see something, take a sheet of cardboard and hold it a foot or 2 over the ports on a compensated handgun when it is fired. I don't want that happening to my face.

Funny you mentioned this. I did exactly that last night at the range, except that, instead of using cardboard, I used a regular sheet of 8.5" X 11" paper. I benchrested the 100 with my right hand and held the sheet of paper perhaps 12" above the ports with my left. I was expecting to see a couple of diverging, teardrop-shaped scorch marks on the paper.

Boy, was I wrong.

When the 100 discharged, the jets from the ports literally disintegrated the front half of the sheet of paper. Confetti-sized shreds of paper were floating down all around me, and paper dust was actually drifting downrange with the air circulation. Surprisingly, though, there were no scorch marks on the remaining half of the sheet of paper still in my hand. The one other user who was in the range at the time probably saw the cloud of white dust after the discharge, but did not say anything.

If anything, this little "experiment" underscores what bullsi1911 said about keeping clear of the compensator ports on any firearm. I'd hate to think what would happen if a body part got in the way of the venting gasses.

DL

RayBay

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2002, 07:48:15 AM »
I'm a new-ish CZ100 .40 S&W owner, only shot about 400 rounds so far. I don't have strong wrists, and I find it extremely comfortable and well-behaved. Only shot in daytime so I never saw the porting flashes.
The comfort / manageablility factor was emphasized yestsrday - I went shooting with a friend who has a new Taurus PT111 Millennium (which I had been eyeing while deciding on the CZ). After shooting my .40 CZ 100, the Taurus felt like an extremely badly behaved child. Compared to the CZ it was simply terrible to shoot - nasty recoil and unpredictable trigger. Aside from suffering a  structural failure but that's another story.
I haven't fired a Cz100 in 9mm, but I can vouch for the .40 being a gentleman on the range. Very comfy, and obviously the accuracy is no problem once one is familiar with the trigger break.

Offline wrylie

9 mm or 40 S&W
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2002, 12:13:21 PM »
My friend bought the Taurus PT111 Millennium at the same gun show from the same dealer I bought my 75B from. He passed on the CZ40. He liked the way it felt, but thought it was too big for CCW. He liked the size of the Millennium for CCW, and it seemed to be a good choice for him, mostly because it was smaller than the CZ40 and 20 bucks cheaper to boot. Then we took them out and shot them. We didn't like the loooong trigger pull on the PT111. It was hard to tell when it would break. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it, and neither could he. End result, he doesnt shoot it anymore because he doesnt like it.  I still can't talk him into a CZ, even though he tears a ragged hole in a target with it. He thinks they are too big. We havent held any of the compacts from CZ, and they cost more than he wanted to spend anyway.