Author Topic: Mepro Night Sights vs. Stock P-01 sights  (Read 8700 times)

Offline govtcheez

Mepro Night Sights vs. Stock P-01 sights
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
Anyone have any comparison pics of the two or can comment first hand how they compare?

I love this pistol, but the sights do leave a little more to be desired. I'm thinking of swapping them out for something else, a little more substantial that will be easier/better to line up (a little taller would be better) and thought about going with these night sights.

Offline JonNC

• Got Czechnology?
Re: Mepro Night Sights vs. Stock P-01 sights
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
I have the Meprolights.
The first thing that you would notice is how much bigger the "dots" are, compared to the stock sights.
Also, I like the fact that Meprolight had the forethought to smooth out the edges on the muzzle side of the rear sight (the side of the sight that is facing the front), so the sight doesn't tear up your hand on a fast slide grab/rack.
The only modification that I may make to the Meprolights is to open up the rear notch just a little bit, to let more light in, but other than that, I LOVE THEM.

It also helps that the Meprolights are quite a bit less expensive than Trijicon and others.

P.S.  Sorry that I don't have pics, I really should have taken a pic of the stock sights for my own comparison.
CZ P-10 C, S, F
CZ 75 P-01
CZ 75 Shadow Duo-Tone
CZ Kadet Kit 2
CZ Scorpion

Offline SCmalinois

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
I also have the Meprolight (front only, long story) and the white ring is definitely brighter in daylight than stock sight.  I have also found (since I have several of both) that the tritium in the Meprolights seems to glow brighter in low/no light than the Trijicons.  YMMV.

MC in rural SC

Offline govtcheez

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
It looks like there's a few different models (#4,5 and 6) that works for CZ75 based pistols. Which ones do you guys have?

Offline SCmalinois

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Sorry I can't give you that detail.  I had Stuart add the Meprolight front to my CZ (PCR) when I was having some other work done.  I think he shaved some of the sight to get it to exactly match the height of the stock sight it replaced.  It worked out perfectly and the accuracy was maintained.  Stuart and probably many others on this forum will have the answer for you.

MC in rural SC

Offline Sion

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:05 AM »
I agree stock sights could be better. I ordered the Meprolight ML-17775 from Opticsplanet. They're for the CZ P-01 and I believe there is a slight height difference between them and the ML-17777 model. They were out of stock so I have to wait a couple weeks for them to get a fresh shipment in, when I get them, I'm driving over to CZ Customs to have them installed. As for the different models #4, #5, #6, those are different heights, if you were to remove your rear sight and look at the bottom you'd see a number which tells you what height they are. That's how CZ told me to determine what sight model I need but I just ordered the Meprolights that are marketed for the P-01. I don't have pics yet but I can take some of the stock sights in light and dark, it'll just be a couple weeks until I can do the same with the Meprolights.

Offline mkd

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
my p01 came with a #3 rear sight and i have recently noticed that on the lower edge of the frame there is a number 3 stamped on the frame itself and only visible when you take the grips off.is this just coincidence or cz's way of marking the frame to show the proper sight height?

Offline BarnacleBill1

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »
I just put Trijicon's on my P-01 a few weeks ago, and I like them a lot.

Offline gocubs6

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »
Has anyone used the tactical rear sight from CZ custom?  I'm tempted to purchase that and a front tritium or plain black front.  It looks like it hangs off the rear of the slide, which looks tacky.

Offline RustedinKY

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
I've got the CZC competition rear, which seems to have about the same profile as the tactical rear, and a fiber optic front. There is an overhang which will reach the first spur on the hammer. It may not look the greatest from the side, but it sure looks sweet looking down the sights.

Offline gocubs6

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »
So, do you have to swap out the hammer?

Offline 1saxman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
I received my Meprolights today from Optics Planet. Everything's okay, but I did notice that the Meprolight rear sight does not have set screw like the original. Consequently you must be sure that you're satisfied with the rear sight position before removing it and installing the Meprolight in exactly the same place. You most likely will have to use Loctite or Super Glue on the new sight since there's no set screw, or a gunsmith could install the screw for you.

Offline RustedinKY

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
So, do you have to swap out the hammer?

No.  Plenty of clearance.

Offline m39nut

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »
I received my Meprolights today from Optics Planet. Everything's okay, but I did notice that the Meprolight rear sight does not have set screw like the original. Consequently you must be sure that you're satisfied with the rear sight position before removing it and installing the Meprolight in exactly the same place. You most likely will have to use Loctite or Super Glue on the new sight since there's no set screw, or a gunsmith could install the screw for you.
I staked mine after I established the position. No problem at all.

Offline 1saxman

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
Did you stake on the slide or the sight? Can you show a pic (if there's anything to see)? How about front sight removal? I see the small roll pin, and I have roll-pin punches. I guess you punch the pin out and the sight comes out toward the muzzle end. Did your Meprolights have to be sanded to fit the slide? Did you have to heat the rear sight to remove it or does it drift out after loosening the set screw? I've installed night sights on two pistols before - a Taurus 1911 and a Taurus 24/7. Novaks on the 1911 and Heinies on the 24/7. Both required extensive fitting and touch-up of the slide, and I didn't want to get into it that deep with this pistol.