Author Topic: CZ 453 American Range Report  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Faeruss7

CZ 453 American Range Report
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
     Yesterday I enjoyed my day off and went shooting. I chose my favorite rifle, a CZ 453 American and headed off to my local firing hole. My CZ 453 is scoped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, with Talley rings. As this rifle is meant for use in the field, I chose a scope that is bright, tracks well, and doesn't throw off the handling characteristics of the rifle. The main reason I chose the 453 over other CZ rimfire models, is the trigger. It is fully adjustable for poundage, travel, and overtravel. Plus there is a set trigger, which is nice to use occasionally. The sling is a Montana sling. I prefer leather slings, and this is extremely fast to adjust which is helpful for usage in offhand shooting.

I tested 10 different ammunitions of a variety of types and speeds. All groups are 5-shot groups, fired from a front rest (only), at 50 yards. Groups were measured center to center. The results are briefly analyzed below, starting with the least accurate group and finishing with the most accurate group. Velocities listed are factory specifications, as I did not chronograph any ammunition.

10. Remington Target: 40gr Lead RN (1150 fps), 1.438" group. This loading was horrible, and is added to the large list of failed attempts with Remington ammunition.

9. CCI Subsonic Segmented: 40gr Plated HP (1050 fps), .935" grouping. Not the best grouping, I have shot this better in the past (so it was me). However, I use it for urban pest control at much closer ranges, and the terminal ballistics are awesome.

8. American Eagle AE5022: 40gr Lead RN (1260 fps), .904" grouping. Underwhelming performance, but cheap to shoot. However, there are cheaper loads to shoot, so I don't intend to buy this again.

7. Federal Gold Medal Target: 40gr Lead RN (1080 fps), .836" grouping. This load shot well. I am going to give this loading further attention, as if not for a flier/poor shot, this loading would have ranked higher.

6. CCI Velocitor: 40gr Plated HP (1435 fps), .779" grouping. I found this loading acceptable. I love this round for pest control, and it is one of the few high-velocity rounds that shoots decently through my rifle. It also has noticeable recoil for a .22LR.

5. Remington SubSonic: 38gr Lead RN (1050 fps), .773" grouping. This ammunition took me by surprise. I have learned to have low expectations for Remington ammunition for my CZ 453, but this ammunition performed admirably.

4. Blazer Bulk Pack: 40gr Lead RN (1235 fps), .742" grouping. This loading exceeded my expectations. I recommend that others give this loading a try, if a low price lead round-nose is in contention.

3. Federal Bulk Pack: 36gr Plated HP (1260 fps), .738" grouping. This loading shot almost identically to the Blazer loading. I would consider them to be equivalent as far as accuracy goes.

2. Eley EPS Match: 40gr Lead Solid (1085 fps), .581" grouping. This was the second best ammunition I tested. It was both clean and accurate. I like how it left nice clean holes that were easy to measure too. That being said, I won't be buying it again. It is just too expensive; in fact it has taken me three years to be able to stomach the price to test it.

1. Wolf Target: 40gr Lead RN (1050 fps), .236" grouping. This is my standby load. It just shoots amazingly well in my rifle. I could live without how greasy the stuff is though.

Overall, I was pleased with the results of the test today. Some loads shot terrible, but I also tried a few loadings that proved successful. I would like to have shot the Federal Gold Medal Target better; hopefully I will shoot it better next time. I think it is worth noting that two bulk loadings shot well, better in fact, than a lot of the more "premium" ammunition. I purposefully didn't try anything truncated from Remington, as I have in the past, and it shot horribly. I also didn't shoot any Winchester ammunition, but now I'll have a good excuse to go shooting again :)
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

Re: CZ 453 American Range Report
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »
Nice report. I, too, have had excellent results with Wolf MT.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
I never even knew Wolf made 22lr ammo, now to find some locally... nice report, good pics, thanks!

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
     Armoredman- I rarely find Wolf Match Target locally. I usually have to order it online. On a related note, Wolf doesn't actually make the ammunition. Wolf Match Target is just re-packaged SK Standard Plus, a subsidiary of Lapua. Included are some links to MidwayUSA for both.

Wolf Match Target- http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1679162820/wolf-match-target-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose

SK Standard Plus- http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2577141120/sk-standard-plus-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Spirit 1

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »
Thanks for a very helpful and informative report! Good to know ahead of time what to expect on the various bulk. I have ammo for critters but like to know what's a good bet for just GP paper punching. Thanks!

Offline czkali

• sdrawssakcab
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
Indeed, thanks for the report. I just purchased a CZ452 American and took it apart Sunday for its first cleaning. Your results will help me decide what ammo to buy for it. But first I need to figure out what scope to put on it.  ;)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
      It can be hard to gauge what a rimfire rifle will like to shoot, as they all seem to prefer different loads. That being said, I have shot three different CZ's chambered in .22LR, and they all shot Wolf Match Target very well. Finding out what my rifle likes to shoot is no chore though either  :)
-Sam Adams

Offline History.Doc

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
Great report. Thanks.

Offline Spirit 1

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:35 PM »
Indeed, thanks for the report. I just purchased a CZ452 American and took it apart Sunday for its first cleaning. Your results will help me decide what ammo to buy for it. But first I need to figure out what scope to put on it.  ;)

Hey, CZKali, if you figure out what scope you want in the next 3-4 weeks I might be able to get you a good deal if we have a match. A friend is liquidating some stock and selling at his FFL 01 Wholesale Cost. I was just looking in the vault today and saw several brand new scopes, both budget items & good stuff. Plus I'm also in Kali so shipping should be real reasonable & at true cost or we might be neighbors. If we can get a match between your neeeds & his inventory you'd do well.

Offline czkali

• sdrawssakcab
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »

Hey, CZKali, if you figure out what scope you want in the next 3-4 weeks I might be able to get you a good deal if we have a match. A friend is liquidating some stock and selling at his FFL 01 Wholesale Cost. I was just looking in the vault today and saw several brand new scopes, both budget items & good stuff. Plus I'm also in Kali so shipping should be real reasonable & at true cost or we might be neighbors. If we can get a match between your neeeds & his inventory you'd do well.

That's funny -- that would mean I know what I'm doing in regard to picking a scope!  Great idea though, let's take this to PM and not hijack this thread more.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Plink

• NRA Smallbore Metallic Silhouette - Southern, WI
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
I read on USA-CZ website 1+ years ago about a fellow that did testing on cheap ammo using his new 452 American.  His list of cheap ammo was around 10, if I recall.  At 100 yards, using Remington Cylcone, his group avg. was .852 inches, best of all cheap ammo tested.   

I use CCI - SV with 3 shot group sizes, with average of 1.25 inches at 109 yards.  Last sighted in - April 2012 off sand bags.   I am not the caliber of off hand shooter where match grade ammo would make a difference, but working on it.   ::)
www.beloitrifleclub.org
CZ 452, Amer,  LH, .22LR
Sightron 6-24X42SIL w  BKL Rings

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »
     It is good to hear that at least somebody has had decent results with Remington's rimfire ammunition. I think CCI makes great stuff, and your groups bear that out, nice shooting :)
-Sam Adams

Offline BinhThuyUSN

• Freedom is not Free.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:41:18 PM »
Faeruss7, I too have a 453 American, with a Bushnell 4-12X40 mm scope mounted on it and like yours is a great 22 rifle. I have not shot it at 50 yards yet but I am going to the next time I got to the range. My rifle likes CCI SV and Rem Thunder bolt and have gotten great groups that you can cover with a dime at 25 yards with both those ammo. Great post and looks like you had a great day of fun at the range.

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
Faeruss7, I too have a 453 American, with a Bushnell 4-12X40 mm scope mounted on it and like yours is a great 22 rifle. I have not shot it at 50 yards yet but I am going to the next time I got to the range. My rifle likes CCI SV and Rem Thunder bolt and have gotten great groups that you can cover with a dime at 25 yards with both those ammo. Great post and looks like you had a great day of fun at the range.

Thank you. CZs are wonderful rifles, both rimfire and centerfire. I would love to hear about your results at 50 yards, hopefully with some pics too :)
-Sam Adams

Offline redlineman

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »
looks fun