Author Topic: anyone ever shoot +p+ ?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Reroye

anyone ever shoot +p+ ?
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »
Was wondering if any of you have ever shot any +p+ in a cz 75 sp-01?

Offline Josh Ramsey

Re: anyone ever shoot +p+ ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:43:36 AM »
Shoot it in my Shadow all the time

Offline Reroye

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:35 AM »
Cool I have a shadow also and a friend of mine gave me some Federal 115gr +P+ 9bple and I was not sure if it was safe to shoot.

Offline marine6680

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »
Its a gimmick... +p is regulated (BTW only certain calibers have official +p specs) and +p+ is not a recognized standard.

This means the rounds may be higher pressure than +p, or it may not.

In the end... its just marketing.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
Its a gimmick... +p is regulated (BTW only certain calibers have official +p specs) and +p+ is not a recognized standard.

Very well stated.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Josh Ramsey

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:11 AM »

I don't feed it a regular diet, it mostly gets 125 n Zero bullets and 3 gains of VV N120, but never had an issue at all and the guys at the shop gave a thumbs up.

Offline marine6680

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:08 AM »

I don't feed it a regular diet, it mostly gets 125 n Zero bullets and 3 gains of VV N120, but never had an issue at all and the guys at the shop gave a thumbs up.

If you are loading your own, and are confident, then its your call.

Its just the factory stuff that is all hype.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

Ummmm?  VV N120 is a Rifle Powder.  I'm thinking you mean VV N320.

As to your original question, I generally avoid +P+ Ammunition, but I have used/tested the Winchester 115 grain +P+ 115 grn JHP loadings that used to be Illinois State Police Issue for a local small PD.  Velocities from my Taurus PT92 and Tanfoglio TA90 averaged some 1320 fps.  Velocities from my SigArms P226 averaged some 1290 fps.  The standard velocity equivalent was 1230 fps and the PD involved decided that the +P+ level ammunition was NOT worth the extra cost and wear and tear on their officers Pistols.

Now they all carry .40's.

IMO, +P level is as far as I care to go and I fire only enough of that to test reliability and accuracy.  Standard pressures work fine for everything else.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
In all honesty, a full size, all steel gun can handle limited use of +p+ ammo.  However, it WILL accelerate wear on the gun.  I wound not recommend it, however, in compact and sub-compact handguns.  I'm not talking about guns like the 75B Compact...I'm talking about true compact concealed carry guns, like a Ruger LC9.  Just not enough meat on a small gun like that for increased pressure.

Offline Josh Ramsey

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »

As to your original question, I generally avoid +P+ Ammunition, but I have used/tested the Winchester 115 grain +P+ 115 grn JHP loadings that used to be Illinois State Police Issue for a local small PD.  Velocities from my Taurus PT92 and Tanfoglio TA90 averaged some 1320 fps.  Velocities from my SigArms P226 averaged some 1290 fps.  The standard velocity equivalent was 1230 fps and the PD involved decided that the +P+ level ammunition was NOT worth the extra cost and wear and tear on their officers Pistols.

IMO, +P level is as far as I care to go and I fire only enough of that to test reliability and accuracy.  Standard pressures work fine for everything else.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, N120 is the premier pistol powder for the leading competitive shooters and I highly advise you follow suit if you hope to keep up with those already using this incredible new formula.
Good day sir!!

8)

Offline Josh Ramsey

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »

We get some free stuff in at the range from time to time I shoot, but I won't pay money for the stuff when I can simply make a better round myself.

We have one guy there that comes in and drops a bill or 2 at a time to practice with it as that is what he carries...to each his own.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
Josh are you shooting 9mm Major with the Vit n120?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:56:15 AM »
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, N120 is the premier pistol powder for the leading competitive shooters and I highly advise you follow suit if you hope to keep up with those already using this incredible new formula.
Good day sir!!

Now that was uncalled for. 

VihtaVouri N120 is listed as a Rifle Powder.  Plain and simple.  Number 73 on the Burn Rate Chart, between H4198 and H322, which are well known Rifle Powders.
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=VI&prodID=VIN1201&prodTitle=N120%201LB%20RIFLE%20POWDER

Behave, or you tempt my Dark Side.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:07:13 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:47 AM »
Lapua/Viht list no load data for a 9mm and N120.  If anyone was going to have off the wall load data, it would be them.  I would suggest you switch to N320, as suggested above.  N120 is NOT SAFE in a 9mm.

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/34

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-powders

Offline Josh Ramsey

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
Good day sir!!

Now that was uncalled for. 

VihtaVouri N120 is listed as a Rifle Powder.  Plain and simple.  Number 73 on the Burn Rate Chart, between H4198 and H322, which are well known Rifle Powders.
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=VI&prodID=VIN1201&prodTitle=N120%201LB%20RIFLE%20POWDER

Behave, or you tempt my Dark Side.

Haha, please tell me you knew I was joking?

The sunglasses smiley face?

....sigh...sarcasm translates poorly in forums
It was just a typo

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:13:50 PM by Josh Ramsey »

anything