Author Topic: Recommended cleaners/lubricants for the PCR?  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Rusty

Recommended cleaners/lubricants for the PCR?
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just got my first CZ, a Compact PCR. I installed the Beretta 92 base plates and a Crimson Trace laser grip on it, and now it feels fantastic in my hands. I wanted to ask for product recommendations to do the initial cleaning and lubrication before I take it out to the range. Any opinions on:

- Ballistol to clean/degrease the pistol and to preserve the metal parts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O2L80E, and then
- M-Pro 7 to lubricate the moving parts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031D0G4I

Judging by the reviews, both seem like great products and I mainly wanted to ask for your advice on three things:

1. Is there any risk of damage to the aluminum alloy frame on our guns from using either of these products?

2. Any compatibility issues with using both?

3. Any other recommendations for cleaners/lubricants to use specifically with the PCR?

Given that it's made of aluminum alloy, I'm assuming I don't have to worry about spraying a rustproofing protectant all over the frame. So my plan was to just use the Ballistol to clean the pistol, and then dab a bit of of the M-pro 7 on the slide and other moving parts.  If anyone has any recommendations on what else to do or how else to do it, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:28:55 PM by Rusty »

Offline Rusty

Re: Recommended cleaners/lubricants for the PCR?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
No opinions at all?

Anyway, I sent e-mail to Ballistol and Simple Green to ask about compatibility of their products with aluminum. I'm not crazy about having to use a water based cleaner, but Simple Green Pro HD is formulated for aircraft grade aluminum, which our frames are. The more research I do, the less comfortable I am with chemical cleaners typically intended for steel guns. So far, I've read that graphite cleaners can encourage rapid corrosion to the aircraft grade aluminum, and that anything with chlorine (e.g., trichloroethane, trichloroethylene) or ammonia which have a very low PH and are acidic will react with aluminum.

What do you guys use to clean/lubricate your guns?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:43:08 PM by Rusty »

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »
What do you guys use to clean/lubricate your guns?

Hoppe's No. 9 to clean and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil to lube. http://www.hoppes.com/
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Cesar

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
You can use regular car carb cleaner, as most throttle bodies are made of aluminium...

For off the shelve oil/lube - either Synth motor oil or Hoppes Elite are good.

If you know a good car mechanic, ask him to make you a mix that will be slick, stick to metal and clean it as you go too, while being heat and wear resistant. Motor oil and ATF are two components of at least 3 there ;)

Offline Rusty

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »
Jim, Cesar, thanks for sharing your perspectives. It's good to know that Hoppe's #9 is safe for our guns, even though it contains ammonia. After seeing your post, I did a quick search online and read about a guy who soaked aluminum in Hoppe's for 6 months as a test and noticed no negative effects.

Cesar, good thought about carb cleaner being safe on aluminum throttle bodies. Any concerns about getting residual cleaner on the steel springs or steel slide?  Hopefully, it's fine on other metals too.  Have you noticed that using motor oil on the slide attracts residue and gets gritty over time as you use your gun? I don't mind spending $12 on M-Pro 7 or Hoppe's oil since they're designed specifically for guns. Who knows...it might just be synthetic motor oil in a different package, but maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:07:49 AM by Rusty »

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
I have been treating all my firearms, AR to Uzi, with Frog Lube and also using it as a cleaner.  I still use Tetra lube on the rails and other friction points.  Once the surface is treated cleanup is very easy and the lubrication properties stay with the steel. Everything runs great, no signs of wear, no smell and cleanup of dirty 22lr carbon residue is a breeze.

Sorry I have No Idea what or how it reacts to anything or even what it is made of, but the dealer at the gun show eats it and use it for a lip balm  :o.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline 777TRUTH

• Integrity Lock & Safe
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »
No need to over do it, guns are simple and almost anything will work.

Clean - NON CHLORINATED break cleaner does much better than some of the commercial gun products at a small fraction of the cost. Make sure you take the grips off!

Lube - 10w30 Synthetic motor oil
(Optional) I like to grease the rails barrel and lug. Again you can get "gun grease" but I use synthetic grease from the auto parts store and put the savings toward ammo.

I personally use Ed's Red and an Ultrasonic to clean my guns and a 50/50 mix of 10w30 and Marvel Mystery Oil to lube. 
CZ P-01 * CZ 75B * CZ 912 * CZ 920 * XDs-9 * XDm 45 Compact * Kimber Pro Crimson Carry * Glock 26 Gen 3 *  Ruger 22/45 MK III RP

Offline Rusty

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
Thanks a lot, guys. In case it's helpful to anyone, I had a good e-mail conversation with the VP of R&D at Simple Green this morning. She recommended Simple Green Pro HD (sold exclusivelty through Home Depot) for gun cleaning. It's the same chemical formulation as their Extreme Aircraft Cleaner, which is specifically formulated to be safe on aircraft grade aluminum.

She forwarded me testimonials from gun owners who have been using Pro HD as a cleaner for years. One professional shooter and instructor said it worked better than Hoppe's and other products he used to use in 1/3rd of the time and at a fraction of the cost. This stuff is cheap at Home Depot, and is typically mixed 1:6 with water, so a 1 gallon jug ends up giving you 6 gallons of solution after mixing. Additionally, she also sent me lab results where they soaked aircraft grade aluminum in a diluted solution for 24 hours. At moderate to higher dilutions (e.g., up to their recommended max of 1:13, where they mix 1 part Pro HD with 13 parts water), the tests show no discoloration or damage to aircraft aluminum after 24 hours. At the highest concentration they recommend which is 1:5, there's minor discoloration on the aluminum after soaking in the solution for 24 hours. Given this, seems like Simple Green Pro HD would be safe for cleaning our PCRs at moderate dilutions (say 1:6 to 1:9), especially since the solution won't remain on the pistol for more than 10-20 minutes before being rinsed off.  I'm not crazy about water on my gun, but compressed air should be able to blow it out of the crevices. I guess water is better than a chemical solvent that eats the aluminum though.

So it's one more option to consider. I might try Simple Green Pro HD, followed by a spraying of Barricade rust protectant, and then a light oiling.

Offline ace73

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:59 AM »
+1 on removing the grips!!

Offline burley

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
I'm not a fan of Ballistol as a lube.  I had a couple of Ruger Mk IIs that I shot a lot one day that were lubed with Bstol and it turned to varnish and the extractor broke off one.
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Offline mianstan

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:48 PM »
Ive used various lubes for my semi autos and havent found anything better then Tri Flow with Teflon (made by Sherwin Williams) It is 100 % synthetic and it comes in a pin point applicator.   I use it on the slide rails and any other points of contact.  Cycle the slide a few times and thats it.  The stuff dries to a protective lubricating film that leaves no residue and does not attract dirt....it actually repels it.   I think its great stuff and I have noticed zero function problems due to a lack of lubrication with this stuff. Try it and see...only costs 5 or six bucks for a small tube the size of a pen.   My local locksmith turned me on to this stuff.  Its his secret weapon for gummed up and stuck locks.
" The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution. "

Thomas Jefferson

anything