Author Topic: I May Have a New Favorite Bullet  (Read 1344 times)

Offline cdhbrad

Re: I May Have a New Favorite Bullet
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Wobbly:  Just curious as to your reason(s) for disliking Winchester and Hodgdon Powders??  W231 is one of my favorites for .40S&W and I shoot a lot of Varget and H335 in my .223s, 6BRs and even .308 Win.  Alliant and IMR do make some that are comparable, but Varget and H335 are hard to beat in those calibers.

BTW, I like Sport Pistol too.     

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:29 PM »
Wobbly:  Just curious as to your reason(s) for disliking Winchester and Hodgdon Powders??  W231 is one of my favorites for .40S&W and I shoot a lot of Varget and H335 in my .223s, 6BRs and even .308 Win.  Alliant and IMR do make some that are comparable, but Varget and H335 are hard to beat in those calibers.

BTW, I like Sport Pistol too.

I think Hodgdon is out to rule the world of reloading powders. I see signs that they want to sell as much powder as they can (and I certainly support their right to do that), while spending as little money as possible on support and testing (for which there is ample evidence). That last part is bad for our hobby.

Look at their recent CFE Pistol campaign. Full page ads... the works. Now go to the Hodgdon data center. Exactly one (1) and only 1 load for 124gr 9mm. In other words, they want to you to buy, but they don't want to support you. "Support" to them means selling the product.

If they can use their distribution power to cripple Alliant and Accurate, then you will most likely see powders increase in price until you can barely afford to reload. Remember, Hodgdon is a marketing company, not a powder manufacturer. For them, it's all about making money based on market share and product position.... it has nothing to do with making the best powder.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Check out my reloading equipment for sale CLICK HERE

Offline cdhbrad

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »
Understood and thanks for taking the time for such a thorough reply.  I only use Hodgdon rifle powders...?.guess I'll start shooting more RL15 to keep Alliant in the game.  :)

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
I use that bullet in my cz's 4.0 -4.2 wsf powder makes a nice load for competition rounds. I load them to 1.13 oal in my p series and phantom. I get around 1000-1050 fps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:47:20 PM by joedirt199 »
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 07:56:22 AM »
I use that bullet....

Which bullet ? The 124gr RN he gave the link to, or the 124gr conical nose he talked about ?
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong?

Check out my reloading equipment for sale CLICK HERE

Offline joedirt199

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
Didn't look at the link, just went with the discussion. The conical with no lube grove is what I have been using. SNS has a good coated lead bullet. Very thick coating that doesn't chip off. Started some loads with Win 244 and it looks very promising in the 9mms I tried it with.
God created Police so Fireman would have heroes

In God we Trust, everyone else gets searched.

Offline J Lee

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:12 AM »
SNS makes great bullets.  Have made the 147 NLG FP my go-to.  Really nice with WSF and can load to 1.14" in any of my CZs.
James

anything