Author Topic: www.ar500armor.com | Defensive preparedness!  (Read 34935 times)

Offline ShootersElement

• www.ShootersElement.com
    • Shooters Element
www.ar500armor.com | Defensive preparedness!
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
Hi Guys,

I wanted to jump in and introduce myself, my screen name is Masada but you can call my Taylor.

We specialize in body armor and trauma plates, but are growing quickly to encompass even more. These plates are great for defensive purposes if you are looking for an inexpensive quality body armor. They are slim and easy to put into a plate carrier or even a backpack. Currently we offer several trauma plate configurations (flat, curved and side plates) and now we are happy to announce we are selling plate carrier and plate combos along with additional tactical gear. Save on plates and the vest needed to carry them while getting a little more.

Check it out the different configuration at http://www.ar500armor.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=169

If you would like to order anything, let me know and I'll see what kind of discount we can offer you through the forum.

So is armor something you consider essential for your preps?

Well, thanks for reading this. And now some pictures!

CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Like us on Facebook:www.facebook.com/ShootersElement
Check us out on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/shooters_element

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: www.ar500armor.com | Defensive preparedness!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
These are one of those products people don't really think about for emergencies, because for one thing, they think it's too expensive. They aren't.   People compare them to traditional soft body armor, which is less effective, will still cause blunt force trauma, and cannot stop most if not all rifle rounds. Soft armor is made for all day concealed wear for those who need it. This type of armor is grab and go for that "HOLY BLEEP!" day, a quick setup with pistol and rifle magazines, and it doesn't degrade over time - soft armor reaches an expiration date, faster if the fabric is mistreated. This vest will be there for a long time with no maintenance but dusting required...and like all of our emergency preps, I hope all we ever do is dust them. But if the worst happens, (and with the unrest in the world, both spontaneous and deliberate, that possibility grows every day), this is a one of those good ideas that will be worth it's weight in gold if you ever need it.

Offline ShootersElement

• Shooters Element
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
These are one of those products people don't really think about for emergencies, because for one thing, they think it's too expensive. They aren't.   People compare them to traditional soft body armor, which is less effective, will still cause blunt force trauma, and cannot stop most if not all rifle rounds. Soft armor is made for all day concealed wear for those who need it. This type of armor is grab and go for that "HOLY BLEEP!" day, a quick setup with pistol and rifle magazines, and it doesn't degrade over time - soft armor reaches an expiration date, faster if the fabric is mistreated. This vest will be there for a long time with no maintenance but dusting required...and like all of our emergency preps, I hope all we ever do is dust them. But if the worst happens, (and with the unrest in the world, both spontaneous and deliberate, that possibility grows every day), this is a one of those good ideas that will be worth it's weight in gold if you ever need it.

You make some great points here, the advantages of steel are huge compared to several types out there.

Traditional ceramic plates can run $300+ for each plate and they can't handle all the same forces that steel can. Plus if you drop them or land on them if you had to hit the dirt, the ceramic plates could crack and become vulnerable. How about the fact that they are more slim than ceramic plates and would give you a smaller profile for better range of motion. Soft armor is only rated to stop most pistol rounds and usually has a trauma plate over the heart to help protect against blunt force trauma.

These plates are stand alone, they can be dropped, shot several times and keep protecting the user. No expiration date and no maintenance needed, just put them on and know you are protected.

Rating: AR500 Trauma Plates are stand alone, multi-hit capable, and bench tested to the same armor rating as Type III. Type III Armor will defeat rifles rounds up to 7.62x51/.308 @ 2780 ft/s.
Recent testing provided good results against Federals XM855/SS109 Penetrator Round (Green Tip 5.56). We fired 7 rounds at 15 yards within a 2.5" group and experienced no penetration. Yes, we actually test our plates out by shooting them.

Our AR500 Body Armor Trauma Plates are designed for maximum coverage of vitals while allowing the operator to shoulder there weapon comfortably. Our AR500 Armor Plate will fit in all plate carriers capable of accepting 10"x12" plates, slim 1/4" thick profile.

Finish: We take extra care in not affecting the final heat treatment of the AR500 as it comes from the manufacturer. Because of this we coat in a "cold" method, and avoid the common practice of powder coating which many other manufacturers do. We feel there is no need to expose the AR500 to extra heat for any reason, helping eliminate one extra variable to ensure our Armors durability. Each plate is coated with industrial grade enamel offering protection again UV, rust, chemicals and general wear. The coating is functional and effective.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:41:00 AM by Masada »
CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
If anyone here is a police officer, volunteer officer, or another type of First Responder, this is always a great idea to have this available - leave it in the trunk, as it won't rot or degrade due to heat or cold, and in a call out, you might forget some items, better to have it sitting there waiting.

Offline 9millie

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:01:44 AM »
how do these compare to level IV esapi plates?

also is there any possible harm from bullet shrapnel ?

can these stop 30-06 ap and m2 ap bullets?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:12:55 AM by 9millie »

Offline E.Shell

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:05:53 AM »

also is there any possible harm from bullet shrapnel ?...
This would be my own question as well.

I shoot AR-500 daily (I teach precision/long range rifle). Some plates are manufactured targets with popper systems, others hang from sawhorses. I find a 180 degree spray of major lead and jacket frags around the impact area, and a lot of it becomes embedded on the inside edges of the 2 x 4s, stuff like this:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline ShootersElement

• Shooters Element
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

also is there any possible harm from bullet shrapnel ?

can these stop 30-06 ap and m2 ap bullets?

also is there any possible harm from bullet shrapnel ?...
This would be my own question as well.

I shoot AR-500 daily (I teach precision/long range rifle). Some plates are manufactured targets with popper systems, others hang from sawhorses. I find a 180 degree spray of major lead and jacket frags around the impact area, and a lot of it becomes embedded on the inside edges of the 2 x 4s, stuff like this:

Great questions guys.

Since these are Level III plates they are not going to be rated the same as Level IV plates, however we have put a couple plates through some pretty harsh testing (over 100 rounds on the same plate) with great results. I don't think we used 30-06 on any of them, but did use 7.62 AP rounds and several moving faster than the 2880FPS as the level IV plates require (see below), with 0 penetration at 15 yards. Also it's important to note the draw back of ceramic, once that plate takes a hit it's severely compromised vs. steel can take another and another in the same general area (1 inch or so apart) without compromising the plate. Also note that ceramic can be damaged just by dropping it on the ground which could result in comprising the plate, the steel plates don't have the same kind of problems.

As for fragmentation (AKA spall), since most of the rounds shatter when they hit the plates it can be send cause some spray. But that's only when a plate is being shot outside of the plate carrier. Users need to remember that these plates are inside a plate carrier, that is going to contain the spall but cause the carrier to start fraying. So to combat that, we are working to creating a product to contain the spall. But in the mean time, some of our customers have used lineX and Rhino liner to cover the plates and also bought some old Kevlar and cut several sheets of it to wrap around the plates. But again, if you were to just put these in a plate carrier, it will contain the spall that comes from the bullets impact.

CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the NIJ test data!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Oddly enough, I had to put mine on last night.
It started with my wife coming to the computer room and telling me she heard someone in the back yard. Visibility is limited, and police response to this neck of the woods can be somewhat delayed. Knowing that it wasn't the SMARTEST thing to do, but it was the thing I did have to do, I put on my AR500 Urban Go plate carrier setup, http://www.ar500armor.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29906, grabbed the Surefire and CZ SP-01 Phantom, and headed for the back door. The big dog went out first, followed by me sweeping our, (small, very small), back yard, and there was a dusty haze from one corner from someone or something jumping from that dust pit back over the wall. Considering my dogs lack of reaction, I'm guessing an animal of some kind. However, about 45 minutes later I was back outside enjoying a pipe, (Captain Black), when I heard 4 shots about 100 yards south of my back porch, which faces a large desert area and a big cotton filed south of that. Flashlights were seen moving in the desert area, and local PD was called, who arrived about 30 minutes later, and found nothing looking with the spotlights from the car. The 24 hour hunting season for coyotes isn't until May of next year, so it wasn't a hunter. Even though nothing came by me, and all I did was stand in the back yard waving a flashlight around, (and exposing some holes in our strategy), I was quite happy to have that steel armor, just in case. Now I need one item to make our response a little better - anyone havean extra flashlight holder for a Picatinney short rail to use with a surefire flashlight that you're not using right now, something like this?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/ema-pl2-flashlight-mount.html

Offline ShootersElement

• Shooters Element
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Glad to hear you are liking the armor.
CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
I know two people that like your armor package deal right now, the Urban Go is really a good deal.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »
With any kind of warning time, like the delay caused by dogs, security screens, etc, this is a FAST setup to put on.