Author Topic: Press recommendations for beginner  (Read 6786 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Press recommendations for beginner
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »
Woe unto you who decide to reload, for you have passed into a new universe from which there is no return. O0 ???

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
I'll start reloading 9 and .45 first and may get a single stage for the .223.

No reason to spend the money on an additional single stage when you have the Lee Classic Turret Press.  Pull off the turret, remove the indexing rod, and reinstall the turret.  Now you have a single stage press.  Total time involved: 15 seconds.  Total cost: $0.00.

Also, +1 to Wobbly's suggestion to start with .45.  WAAAAAAAY more forgiving than reloading 9mm.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
Woe unto you who decide to reload, for you have passed into a new universe from which there is no return. O0 ???

But it's so nice here, who would want to leave?  ;D
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
Well, i think i figured how all my dies work. And everything seems ready to rumble but I guess i'll have set up my .45 dies on the second turret i bought and drop it in. I have speer, herters select grade brass and federal champion brass. I'll check to see what size primers they are...small or large.

Offline Striper Sniper

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Just finished reading Modern Reloading Second Edition. Skipped the bullet casting and shotshell reloading chapters. It appears there are a zillion component and powder choices for .45 acp as well as 9mm. How do you decide what to try first?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
Win 231 (aka Hodgdon HP-38) is an excellent choice for both 9 & 45.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline viking499

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
Wobbly, does the 231 like the 124 grain 9mm's?

What's a good load for the 124's through a CZ?  Getting ready to get some Berrys. ;D

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Wobbly, does the 231 like the 124 grain 9mm's?

What's a good load for the 124's through a CZ?  Getting ready to get some Berrys. ;D

Try both the RN and the FP, both with "hollow base"... they do really well.

HP-38 is typically $2 cheaper per pound. Target loads typicality run in the 4.0 to 4.4gr range with pretty much any 124gr, depending on desired speed. We're using 1.130 to 1.140" for the Berry RNHB and a wee less powder at 1.065" for the Berry FPHB. The FP is going to give you a cleaner paper target hole by far.

;)

Offline sfrenchy

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
Listen to Wobbly-for me he's usually the last word....great source of reloading info on this forum!

Offline Striper Sniper

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
Ive bought some four set dies from lee for pistols. Specifically .45 and 9mmm. Also bought sone three set dies for rifles. .223 and 7.62 x39. Noticed lee sells a seperate "factory crimp die" for both .223 and 7.62 x39  would these be advisable to have/use? Ive seen some threads say crimping is not necessary on pistols but is it for rifles?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
The Lee "factory crimp die" is a different beast for rifle and pistol.

? If you are shooting a bolt-action rifle, then you definitely want the Lee "collet neck sizing die" for rifle. That will make your brass last a lot longer. But probably not any type of crimp die, since it's unwarranted.

? If you want to start a war, then just start a thread about the Lee FCD for pistol. Some people love it, some hate it. There's rarely any middle ground. There's no doubt it puts a good crimp on the cartridge, but it also does other things like re-size the case. If you bought over-size lead bullets, well the FCD just irons those back to std size.

For me and my house, I'd rather see you set your dies up correctly, then check your output with a Wilson cartridge gauge instead of indiscriminately ironing over every cartridge. In that vein, I think the Lee standard "taper crimp die" is wonderful and a great buy at $12, especially if your die set is missing the TC die or simply not doing great taper crimps.

Just my 2 cents.  ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
Ive seen some threads say crimping is not necessary on pistols

Sorta , sometimes.  The reloaders that 'don't' need to crimp, don't bell the case-mouth for seating the bullet.  For me, some bullets are okay with this and some aren't.  My personal choice is to use the smallest possible bell to 'comfortably align the bullet for seating.  JUST my choice.

Now that I've belled the case mouth, I have to 'taper crimp' to JUST close the belling back snug against the bullet.

Two methods come with LEE 4-die sets: 
1. Use the seating-taper crimp die to BOTH close the bell and seat the bullet.  The stem height drives the seating.  The die height drives the taper crimp.
-- Some reloaders find they don't prefer seating and crimping in one pull.  They find it more precise to do these as two separate steps.
-- Case length variations affect the taper crimp.  Longer cases get more crimp than shorter cases.  OAL is not altered, just how deep the bullet is seated is affected by case length.  Longer cases seat deeper than shorter cases.   The free-air space above the powder is NOT affected by case length.
2.  The LEE FCD die can be used for a separate taper crimp function.  Again the die height determines how deep the case goes into the die, and adjusting the center stem sets the amount of taper crimp.
-- The FCD ALSO has a carbide ring that 'sizes' the case (with the bullet in it) to meet SAAMI max cartridge diameter standards. 
Here is where the trouble/controversy starts.  The die needs to be carefully adjusted for both die height and taper crimp desired.  Mis-adjusted,  it can squeeze the crap out of the crimped area where the bullet is seated and even damage or resize the bullet.  Longer/Shorter cases also have slightly different results.
-- My 9mm experiences with the FCD have been good.  I HAVE NOT loaded LEAD BULLETS.  I seat .356" plated Berry's bullets in WIN/WCC moderately thick cases with no marks of any kind imprinted on the bullet. 
For either method used, I measure the taper crimp at the mouth of the case.  For .355-.356 plated bullets .378 to .379ish" is good in my combo.  With .355" jacketed bullets .3765" to .378" taper crimps are good. 

An alternate available taper crimp method is noted by Wobbly, remove the FCD and install a taper crimp-only die.  Case length variations will slightly affect the amount of crimp.

For other calibers or use with lead bullets,  I can't comment.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:31:07 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Striper Sniper

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
I think i'm going to try the FCD with the .45 rounds. I bought a digital caliper to measure OAL and a bullet puller. I figure i'd try a few without powder and see how they come out/measure up. The FCD die i bought for 7.62 may not see any use. The .223 collet die probably will. My dad has never reloaded and i think he over simplifies the process but there is clearly a lot going on that has to be just right. Thank you wobbly and 1SOW.

Offline sfrenchy

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »
Congrats on your reloading journey. I was in the same boat as you a year or so ago. Any questions you might have will be answered on this forum. I've reloaded over 2,000 .45 rounds so far as well as 9MM. Now I'm starting on 223 REM. I agonized over which press to get and ended up with the RockChucker. I can do about 100 pistol rounds in an hour. I like the pace of the single stage and I feel there are less mistakes to be made with it over a progressive. I will admit that if I fall behind on ammo and it's the night before a match....I do think about a 550B progressive....Have fun

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »
Congrats on the new loader...........My advice is to be sure your powder drop is good quality. I hate when they are inconsistant. If I could not be sure I could make mine exact I would be crazy.

I use both a RCBS rock Chucker that I have loaded over 20,000 handgun rounds on and a Hornaday Lock and Load progressive. I still prefer the single stage loading because I like touching all the rounds a few times before I put them in the case. I have a "few" already made so I don't need to load 200 fast so I can shoot tonight. Since Thanksgiving I have loaded 2,000 9mm on the Rockchucker. It is therapy for me .........after I play hockey I need to wind down so I can sleep. Load 200 bullets, My daughter and wife are having a little girl time, I load 400. The NHL is still on strike so darts is on TV I load bullets. I have enough for next years league made already and winter isn't even here yet!

Enjoy, this is a great hobby!!!!!

RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country