Author Topic: Scope Q  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Cheesesteak

Scope Q
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
Hi all,
Just ordered my vz.58 from Czpoint. Has anyone mounted a handgun scope to one of these rifles? I?ve seen them on mosin nagants and seem to work well. Btw, I have never handled one of these rifles or a handgun scope so this idea may be well off base...balance etc  :o
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:15:29 PM by Cheesesteak »

Offline RKB

Re: Scope Q
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »
by handgun scope do you mean red dot or an actual scope? many people use the aimpoint micro dots, if thats out of your price range the bushnell trs 25 is a great option, about the same exact size. If you are looking for a more traditional  scope, i would urge you towards the scout scopes. They are made to be mounted halfway up a rifle like you would see on a scout m14 and have the right eye relief ( if any im not sure how they work) , and i would think they would work better than a pistol scope.

Offline Cheesesteak

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:10:22 AM »
Thanks> I was thinking about a compact scope mounted in place of a red dot type (forward of the action?). Not sure if that would work with the ergos of the 58. I'm not a huge fan of red dots but that may change. Can't wait.....first semi auto.

Offline RKB

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »
its a great gun , im sure you could find a set up for the scope instead of the red dot

Offline mreddenrn

• No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
I mounted a handgun scope and sent it back, too much difficulty with the eye relief, even for a handgun scope. I went with the Bushnell TRS 25 and love it...

Offline Stevo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
I had good luck with this setup, a 4x LER scope on an Infratek mount.

Offline Cheesesteak

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
Nice. Thats what I was thinking. Are you getting some decent accuracy with the set-up?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:55:22 PM by Cheesesteak »

Offline CZ75BRocks

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
A Scout Scope works well. See either Burris or Leupold.  They make a 2.5x that works well

Offline Stevo

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 03:33:38 PM »
Nice. Thats what I was thinking. Are you getting some decent accuracy with the set-up?

If your rail is solid, you'll get some improvement just based on the ease of holding a more consistent aiming point and it's a lot easier to get better results the farther out you shoot.

That said, it was a 3-4 MOA gun with the Czech surplus ball.

Offline eth77

• 97B
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
I'm getting 2.5" five shot groups with my HiLux(Leatherwood) with Wolf Military. My groups are getting better with my 150 gr reloads. I'm working up a 174 gr load with a Hornady 3131 bullet. It won't be blindingly fast, but it may pull really tight groups. I'll post as I can.

Liberty, it starts with self ownership. You own you. Everyone owns themself. The essence of freedom and liberty is to allow everyone to pursue THEIR idea of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness. In doing so, they may not violate your right to the same goals. Thus All crime is property crime.

Offline Cheesesteak

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »
Looks really good. How much does it cost you per round to reload? I may have to get into that hobby too  ::)

Offline eth77

• 97B
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Don't do it unless you can capture all your brass and reuse it.

Brass is expensive - $39/100
Powder - $26/lb
Primers - $32/1000
Bullets - $27/100 <- non reusable ;-)

So the first rounds will be about $0.70/rnd, after that ~$0.30. That compares to a box of 20 at Academy in Houston for $5. So it costs $1 more per box to reload, but you get other calibers for about a $40 investment after you've bought the reloading equipment for the 7.62x39. If you get the Christmas special on a Hornady or RCBS press kit, you get everything you need. Just make sure not to use the digital scales around CFL fluorescent lights, the glow discharge in the bulbs screws up the scale readings - big time! I actually bought an old school scale to avoid the problem.

What ever you do, be safe! Double check the powder throw, look into each case before you put the bullet in, make sure you don't put too much powder in the case. I am really goosey about having a big bang I don't want.

I can now reload .40, .357, .308, and 7.62x39 - I got 700 rounds of .308 bullets for the purchase of the reloading press from Hornady. I also got 100 for the 7.62x39 dies, the .40 dies, and the .357 dies. Now the bullets aren't exotics, but the .308 is costing me $0.03/rnd right now, as I had .308 brass already.

You can buy a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner, a basket from Lyman, and get sparkling clean brass in about 30 min. The solutions are reuseable so buy a good one, although I've got a homebrew receipe using phosphoric acid, dish detergent and a little baking soda which works very well.

If you decide to reload you'll enjoy the great feeling of seeing handwork come alive.
Liberty, it starts with self ownership. You own you. Everyone owns themself. The essence of freedom and liberty is to allow everyone to pursue THEIR idea of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness. In doing so, they may not violate your right to the same goals. Thus All crime is property crime.

Offline Cheesesteak

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:34 PM »
Thanks for the great info. I'll look into it. I love to tinker so it may be right up my alley!

anything