Author Topic: Old Guys CAP GUNS  (Read 1520 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Old Guys CAP GUNS
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
While I'm not 'really' old, I do remember those pot metal "cap guns" that many kids played with "back then".
A neighbor-friend stopped me on the way to the mailbox and wanted to show me something.  (He's a not really old guy too.)
He went in his house and brought out a shiny pistol that turned out to be one of these old cap guns.  It was a revolver (cylinder rotated with DA trigger pull).
It was ornately decorated pot metal fit together with screws and pins.  It uses the old "roll" caps that feed up through the hammer. 
He was smiling like a us kids smile when new toys show up.

The guy that started this business assembles the parts and sells them in a number of "Old West" versions of  derringers, six-guns etc.   He's also an old west buff, and has many of the old classic western movies on his site.  His phone "ring" is the theme from the Lone Ranger.   ;D
http://www.wildwesttoys.com/

Offline 2fewdaysafield

Re: Old Guys CAP GUNS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »
That is very cool!!!!  I'm going to order a couple.....well....just because!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Teczas

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
I am old enough to be the original owner of a set of Saddle King of Texas six shooters with leather holster.  Made in Waco in 1961. They are both in  excellent condition.  These used the single shot caps that came in rolls of 50 I believe.  We used to double them up to make magnum loads. 

I guess I better order a bunch of paper caps before the panic buying sets in and they become scarcer than small pistol primers.   ;D
If anyone asks, I don't own any guns.  None zip, zero, nada.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:33 PM »
I am old enough to be the original owner of a set of Saddle King of Texas six shooters with leather holster.  Made in Waco in 1961. They are both in  excellent condition.
Cool.  Those are probably worth a lot more than the average Glock pistol. ;)

Teczas you had the modern versions which came out while I was in high school.
As youngsters, We also did the double-up trick.  Hitting a whole roll of caps with a hammer was the bomb version. ::)

Those caps already cost more than .22 rimfire.!!  Owee     
Let's see, the base of a small pistol primer is coated................. and only costs $2.50/100..hmmmm O0

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:03:31 AM »
Great link I may have to get one of those..... for the kids.........well maybe.

On another note it is sad but I am nervous these days buying the kids toy guns. Not because they will be turned into crazed killers but because adults are not used to seeing kids with toy guns anymore. If they are they have those silly orange plugs at the end of the barrel. I am more worried that some adult will call in the police because the kids are having a good time playing .

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »
FWIW, the 44 Six-Gun my neighbor bought HAD a red plug in the bbl end---mostly only visible from the front

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
1SOW -
Watch Out !!

You'll shoot your eye out!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:12:59 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline mkd

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
for christmas back around 1958 a fanner 50 6 shooter with belt and holster showed up under the tree.it had shells that had springs inside and there were plastic bullets that snapped onto the front end and greenie stick m caps placed on the primer end. when the hammer struck the back end of the case the cap went off and the bullets released and shot out the barrel.i beleave mattel made the whole set.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W8qXLxHi9_8#t=25s
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:23:26 AM by mkd »

Offline tkvalead

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Brings back some old memory. Great site. Thanks for the post.
thomas

Happy shooting, CZ75 P-01-stolen, CZ527 Carbine .223

anything