Author Topic: Canik Stingray  (Read 7713 times)

Offline dwhitehorne

Canik Stingray
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
You guys have been killing me with all of this talk of Caniks.  I have been holding my breath for a CZ PO2 for a couple of years with no real opportunity for one.  I have even had a few Compact 40's and got a 9mm conversion barrel to make my own PO2.  That didn't work very well. 

So when I started looking at the Canik I saw my perfect range gun in the Stingray.  A full size grip with a barrel that is shorter than a full size.  I already have a CZ semi compact but I have always wanted the weight of the light rail on a range toy.  I was on the fence about the hard chrome version, but black was the only pistol available and money was burning a hole in my pocket.  Well this showed up today so I thought I snap some pictures. 

So far, I love the trigger pull.  Out of the box, the single action is actually better than any of the approximately 8 CZ's I have owned.  The double action is strange to describe.  It is like nothing I have ever felt.  It starts out rather heavy but releases suddenly smooth.  Hard to describe.  The finish is great.  I don't care for the loaded chamber indicator, but once I get rid of the white lettering it shouldn't be noticable.  The grips have got to go.  They are thin without palm swells like CZ grips, but these are slippery.  I've got some VZ grips on the way.  I've never seen coiled springs with the ends welded.  My semi compact had a spring just like this and never had a problem.  The 16 round mecgar mags I already have all fit fine.  I'm going shooting at work tomorrow to break it in.  David

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:09:08 PM by dwhitehorne »

Offline tekarra

Re: Canik Stingray
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Great photos, now waiting on your range report.

Offline RedState

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
Very nice; also waiting for your range report. After you shoot it, if it is anything like my C-100, you'll probably want the compact version of the Stingray, or a C-100. Enjoy.

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
Interesting ergos on the slide stop. Let us know how it works for you.

joe

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
Very very Nice!!!  8) 

The Stingray is the most tempting model of the Canik line for me.

Looking forward to reading your Range Report.  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline dwhitehorne

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Not much of an update, but I was able to squeeze off 100 rounds between Taser recertifications.  I was shooting FMJ Winchester Ranger 124gr +P ammo and didn't have a single issue.  The ammo is pretty hot but didn't feel like it.  I only tried the target out to 15 yards and the sights were dead on for me.  I left the factory mags loaded over night and can still only get 14 rounds in one mag.  The springs are very stout.  The good news is my 16 round CZ75 mags worked perfectly and locked the slide to the rear every time.  I actually only put 29 rounds through the Canik mags and used the CZ mags the rest of the time.  So I'm happy the CZ mags functioned.  I wasn't sure about the angle of the slide release, but it actually makes it quite easy to release the slide.  I shoot thumbs forward and really have issues riding the slide release with quite a few pistols.  The slide locked to the rear for me everytime.  I am conducting rifle quals at the end of the month and no one will probably show up because of the cold weather so I should be able to get more trigger time.  I'll see if I can get at least one case down range and try and few different types of ammo before the next update.  David.

Offline Aiden528

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
I handled a compact stingray a couple of months ago. The ergonomics were great and I loved the price but I can't say I like the location of the slide release. I have large hands could not help but riding the slide release with my thumb, still for those with smaller hands having the slide release set back should be a benefit.
"There is nothing more elusive than an obvious fact" ~ Sherlock Holmes

Offline dwhitehorne

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »
Well this is odd.  I decided to pull the mags apart to clean and maybe figure out if a spring was backwards since I can only fit 14 rounds in one of them.  I found this in the bottom making the mag a 14/15 round magazine.  I was curious when I picked the pistol up yesterday because the mags, follower and base plate look exactly like the Mecgar AFC mag without the coating.  The witness holes line up on my CZ 16 round mags also.  When I put the CZ factory spring in the Canick mag it holds 17 rounds just like the AFC mag.  I may cut one of the Canick springs and see how it works.  David

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »
When I put the CZ factory spring in the Canick mag it holds 17 rounds just like the AFC mag.  I may cut one of the Canick springs and see how it works.

In my experience, Spring cutting rarely works, and even when it does, it won't work for very long.  I recommend going to Wolff +5% Cz75 Magazine Springs instead.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline dwhitehorne

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »
In my experience, Spring cutting rarely works, and even when it does, it won't work for very long.  I recommend going to Wolff +5% Cz75 Magazine Springs instead.

That is my experience also.  In this case though the Canik spring has 8 coils at the bottom of each magazine that are not compressed at all.  They apprear to just take up space.  Maybe so states like New Jersey that have a 15 round magazine limit can receive the Canik with the factory magazines.  I have cut 6 of the 8 bottom coils off and now both Canik mags take 16 rounds.  They also have some compession left so I can seat the 16 round mag on a closed slide.  Also the bottom witness hole on the Canik mag now shows the casing of the 16th round in the window where it did not with 15 rounds.  I don't want to cut anymore to go for the 17th round and damage the spring from over compression.  We'll see if it works out.  I have about a dozen full size CZ mags for my other weapons to use either way.  I have a three pack of CZ +5 Wolff springs in the parts box.  Those Wolf springs do not work with the Mecgar AFC style base plate retainer that Canik uses.  The bottom of the spring is shaped differently.  The spring on the right pictured above is a Wolff spring.  David
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:48:41 PM by dwhitehorne »

Offline RedState

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks for the range report. Glad you like it. Enjoy.

Offline dwhitehorne

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
I was able to get down to the range this afternoon and burn off 325 more rounds.  I just used the two Canik mags to make sure they worked ok after I trimmed six of the excess coils off the bottom of the spring.  I fired off 200 rounds of Winchester Ranger 147grain bonded, 75 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 124 grain and 50 rounds of Winchester 90 grain +P frangible.  No stoppages.  I definately noticed I was much more accurate with the 124 grain Remington over the Winchester Ranger.  Not really sure why.  The Hyena brown Tactical diamond VZ grips I ordered should be here next week.  I'm curious how they change the feel of the Canik since they are thinner than the factory grips.  David

Offline RedState

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
Thanks for the update. Now that you have 425 rounds through it, how is it wearing?

Offline dwhitehorne

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
It is not showing much so far.  Mostly on the barrel.  I'll probably take some scotchbrite to it at some point and make is silver anyway.  David

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
Grease your Barrel, Barrel Locking Lugs, and Slide Stop Pin, if you are not already doing so.