Author Topic: TZ-75 Goverment 9mm  (Read 18908 times)

Offline SLM80

TZ-75 Goverment 9mm
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
    Hello, I am brand new to this site although have spent hours reading up on a new pistols I recently aquired. It is a TZ-75 goverment 9mm. I have put a few hundred rounds down it without any problems. All kinds of ammo, cheap to high dollar HP's, spit them all out the same. Solid pistol, very accurate. I like this gun alot. If anyone has alot of experience with these guns I would greatly appreciate any info you have. I don't want to go over stuff already on this site but confused on a couple things. Here we go.

As I understand it the TZ-75 goverment (spelled governement on pistol) model is the series 88' even though it isn't stamped on it like other series 88' TZ-75 pistols. Also, the goverment model is the compact version of the series 88' and on the small frame. I found this out when i ordered the Hogue rubber wrap around finger grips(model 7500)at the same time i got ones for my XD40. XDs fit like a glove, unfortunatly not the TZs. Putting them next to gun you could tell it would not fit. Tried anyway and... did not fit. Grip way too tall. I have read that the goverment models were only produced in 1990 and stopped in 1990 with F.I.E. going out of business. But the stamped marks above the trigger on the ejector side has an AU on it refering to the year it was built and AU=1988 right? Is this a "transitional gun? If it is did they intermingle parts with pre & post series 88' pistols? The thunb safety is mounted to the frame and not to the slide also indicating series 88'.

I like this gun and plan on putting many rounds through it. After first hundred rounds the hammer pin wanted to work itself out, I "beat" it back in and seams to be ok. It only came with one mag, a 17rd. Its stamped with a T inside a triangle, I'm assuming this is a tanfoglio mag. I have read that the CZ-75b - witness - baby eagles - P9 mags will fit the TZ's but is this also true for the goverment compact 88' model? And isn't the CZ-75b mags compatible with the full size pre 88 and not the post 88? I don't plan to carry this gun, fun at the range, so I wouldn't mind getting even bigger rd mags than the 17rd one I got. Abnoxious 32rd? Also, I hate these stupid smooth wood grips. Hogue doesnt sell rubber ones for the compact goverment model. Even rubber inseret ones and not finger grooved would be better than wood. Witness compact is the closest ones that look like they might work.

Anyone have any experience with any of this I would greatly appreciate any help. I can take pics of gun if it helps. Many thanks from S. Oklahoma City

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: TZ-75 Goverment 9mm
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
Welcome to the Clone Side of czfirearms.us!  8)

Congratulations on your Tz75 Government!  As you have stated correctly, it is a Series 88 Design Tanfoglio Pistol!  As for Magazines, stick with the Compact Baby Eagle/Compact Witness 13 round Magazines from Mec-Gar, and you should be good to go.  Keep an eye on that Hammer Pin!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »
Hello and welcome from Texas. 8)

CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline SLM80

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
    Thank you for those that replied.

Since posting the original a few days ago Tanfoglio has responded to my email I sent a week or so ago. This is what it says about my paticular pistol. Hope this sheds a little light on the TZ's.

Dear Mr. Aweswome Guy,
         We have recieved your mess and we thank you.The mod. TZ-75 Goverment bearing serial #H2XXXX was produced in June 1989 and sold our former USA importer F.I.E Corp. in July 4th 1989. The model name was chosen by our importer and then they ask us to use the "series 88" name after the TZ75. The difference between the TZ75 and the TZ75 Goverment or Series 88 is the safety mounted on the frame instead on the slide. WE don't have in stock any parts or magazines anymore and the present mags we are producing may not function with the old TZ75. Best regards. Fratelli.

Doesn't make much sense to me for not knowing if their current mags will fit their older model guns. But from what i can tell, the older witness compacts are the same gun as the TZ-75 Goverment, just changing the name in 1989 with F.I.E. selling out. So will go with the suggestions above with the mag problem. I will check EAA for the different grips but if anyone has info on the witness compact grips it would most appreciated

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »
I have no experience with the Tanfoglio compact but I know for my CZ compact I simply cut a full size set of Hogues down to fit.  If the screw holes line up you should be able to do this also.  Just a thought.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline chimera8

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »
I agree with jwc007.
I have a series 88 compact, marked 'Mossad' and I only have one 13 round mag.
CZ compact 14 round mags will lock in and function, but they stick out slightly.

I know of no-one who makes grips, so I made my own.

Offline xl_target

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
I have one. It is well made, very accurate and mine has an incredible trigger.
The recoil is low and there aren't many of them around.
jwc007 is spot on about the mags.

Offline copterdrvr

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
I have been trying FOR YEARS to find grips for my compact TZ75 and no one makes a replacement gripset.

There are plenty of the pistols out there but nobodys offered a set for them...

If you DO find a source, please post the info here!!!!!

Offline draftpick

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »
I have been trying FOR YEARS to find grips for my compact TZ75 and no one makes a replacement gripset.

There are plenty of the pistols out there but nobodys offered a set for them...

If you DO find a source, please post the info here!!!!!

Will CZ compact grips not fit? Has anyone tried them? Or maybe very close with a minor teak to fit?

Offline copterdrvr

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
Based on past postings by other folks-they apparently do not......

Offline Flibuoy1

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
I'll step right up and throw opinion in here.

I have Cz75 compact grips on my Jerico 941 FS. I have a poly Witness compact...so the grips are part of the everything...however the shape is wrong, the length is wrong in comparing where the grips would fit on a steel compact.

Magazines for Witness compacts...wow that is another subject best addressed in a book. Usually EAA even given the serial number can't match them up. I recently bought 3 of the latest and greatest from them that  hold 12-13 versus 10 ( maybe). Even EAA is not sure if they are 12 or 13. I say 12 because the last one is a crunch fit. Same shaped foot and flush fit.Mine is an early serial number built in 2001, those new mags probably don't fit the 2005 on...but I am not sure because they weren't sure. They do seem better quality than the originals with both a much stronger spring and more complex shaped. follower.

Incidentally Witness Compact is my favorite pistol, smooth ( may very well have been tweaked by a former owner), way too accurate for my ability, light, small. I have a ported barrel and the wunder
finish. The Jerico clone (T-100) is nice, no complaints whatsoever, hard to beat, but the Witness does it for me best.

One way to get a better idea of grip compatibility is using an iPad to resize grip images and then putting the actual grip on the image, tweak sizing a bit more and you will quickly see what will NOT work.

Nice looking pistol, hope you get all the answers
Have you ever seen a statue honoring someone who left well enough alone?

Offline cclaxton

• Shoot IDPA!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
I would like to own one of these "Government" Cz clones:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa457/jjdurso/P1000804_zpscaca71e4.jpg

CC

Edit Note: Photobucket IMG Code added - jwc007
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:54:26 PM by jwc007 »

Offline copterdrvr

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
I know this is kinda lame but it's actually worked out great for the situation...

My wife "office" is in our home and she's home alone most of the time.  She only weighs around 115 lbs (not very big hands either) and this is the pistol she wanted as her "office pistol". It came with the typical smooth and THICK wood grips that were too thick for me as well.

I got creative one night and just pulled the grips off and slipped on a Pachmayr grip just for giggles and she LOVED it as the grip fits her perfectly.  The down side is that there is some exposed area of the pistols grip and the Pachmayr grip does put friction that can be felt during removal of the magazine.  To both of those issues I say who cares.  The pistol is kept in her drawer at her desk and with 14 rounds she isn't gonna be doing any speed loads in the house anyway and in fact it might help to reduce the chance of inadvertently dumping the mag.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Not the ideal solution to the problem, but if it works for her, run with it!  8)
I have seen some people do the same with the Hogue Handall, as well, but that grip has palm swells which make things a bit thicker.

Would be nice if you could find some thin metal grips to put under that Pachmayr Grip.  I have two Pistols with the Pachmayr Tactical Grip Gloves and love them!!!

Size Comparison of Canik 55 TP-9 vs Taurus 24/7 Pro - both in 9mm
Both Pistols have Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove normally intended for the S&W M&P installed

I've also noticed that the Pachmayr Cz75 Grips make the Grip a good bit thinner and am now wondering if I could cut one down to fit my Compact Series 88 TA90.
The thick grips on that wonderful little Pistol are a main reason I've not carried it much.
Looks like I now have yet another Gun Project.  :)

Armscore/Tanfoglio MAP1 Full Size and Mid Size 9mm Pistols with Pachmayr Cz75 Grips and Mec-Gar AFC Cz75 17 round Magazines
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:43:16 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline vwfreak

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
As for Magazines, stick with the Compact Baby Eagle/Compact Witness 13 round Magazines from Mec-Gar, and you should be good to go. 

jwc007

Can you provide a link?  I'm looking over the mec gar site and I cannot find the models you mentioned....

Just picked up my own TZ 75 Government compact 9mm.  LNIB condition with paperwork.  I looked at ammoclip.com and found http://ammoclip.com/E/eaa_witness_9mm_compact.htm replacements which look identical but the OAL on mine is .040" longer than the listed OAL length and I am concerned they won't work properly....  All other measurements are within a few thou or less.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:24:22 PM by vwfreak »

anything