Author Topic: CZ52 9mm conversion low down  (Read 15178 times)

Offline MiamiMayhem

CZ52 9mm conversion low down
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
 I have a CZ52 and really love this sleek powerfull piece
of history.
It does have a few issues, but they can be
overcome. I will get into them in later posts.
 I am looking for info on the 9mm conversion.
Where can it be found. Are they still being made?
Cost, drawbacks, pros and cons....
 Are the barrel and rollers all that is needed?
The same magazine works, I assume. How about feed jams?
 Let me have it,
Thanks, Miami

Offline Naga

• T.O.A.S.T. Airsoft
Re: CZ52 9mm conversion low down
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:05:41 AM »
The conversion, as sold by Federal Arms, was the barrel, rollers, cam piece, and retaining pin.  However, the only unique piece was the barrel: all the other pieces were (theoretically) identical to their OEM counterparts and included merely as a convenience.  I say "theoretically" because some people had problems with the rollers deforming, leading to people replacing them with OEM rollers.  The standard magazine will feed 9x19 rounds just fine.

Unfortunately, Federal Arms is out of business, and so 9mm conversion barrels are very rare.  When they are found, they are quite expensive.  Somebody here a few months back made a topic to gauge interest in 9mm barrels.  They claimed they needed 50 confirmed interested to proceed, as (I think) Bar Sto apparently has a minimum order size of 50 for custom barrels.  I don't know what ever happened to that topic, though.

On a somewhat related note, It seems to me that it wouldn't be too hard to machine a CZ-52 barrel from a blank:  Unlike a standard Browning-style barrel, the CZ barrel doesn't have a large integral piece below the chamber to connect it to the barrel link.  As such, a more commonly available diameter barrel blank could likely be used.  I think I'll break out my caliper and micrometer later this week and try to draw a CZ-52 barrel in Solidworks, and perhaps see if I can get a CNC machinist friend to take a look at it and gauge it for practicality.

Offline il.bill

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
I think I'll break out my caliper and micrometer later this week and try to draw a CZ-52 barrel in Solidworks, and perhaps see if I can get a CNC machinist friend to take a look at it and gauge it for practicality.

Please follow up with information on your progress when you can.  I for one would be very interested in what you find out.

Thanks!

Offline tcallre

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
I have a factory converted, refinished 9x19 CZ52 that CAI imported ten years or so ago and except for the barrel everything seems identical to my friend's original 52. A few months ago we upgraded both with Harrington firing pins and extractors, when we completed the work I put my 9x19 barrel in his gun to run dummy rounds through it. Functioned fine and as stated I'm sure the barrel is the only change. Here's a pic, you can see how the slide has been polished and blue. I hope that folks can get a barrel purchase together, it's nice having a great gun in a more common caliber.

Offline Twmaster

• Fanatic, Heritic, Lunatic!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
Quick question. How do you know it was a factory converted 9MM? Not doubting you. Just curious. I just bought a 9MM 52 and it has a serial number stamped on the barrel.

Just trying to determine the history (or pedigree) of this gun.
Mike

Because liars fear the truth.

Offline skucera

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
You'll know the barrel came with your pistol because the serial number on the 9mm barrel will match the serial number on the pistol's frame.  When Century Arms International contracted with CZ B?no to refinish these surplus pistols, they knew that some buyers would rather buy 9 mm, some would want the original 7.62x25 Tokarev chambering, and a select view would want a pistol with both 9 mm and 7.62 mm barrels.  CZ B?no refinished each pistol with a new barrel in the appropriate caliber serial numbered to match the gun.  That was true for the 9mm pistols, and also true for the dual caliber version, where both barrels had the serial number matching the pistol.

So, does your barrel's serial number match the frame?  If so, cool.  If not, well, it may mean that some dealer "upgraded" a 7.62 by trading barrels with a 9 mm pistol, or a previous owner had two pistols and swapped barrels accidentally.

Oh, CAI had a few 9mm barrels available as separate upgrades, and they don't have a serial number on them at all.  They just have "9 mm" stamped on them.  Also, aftermarket  9 mm barrels aren't serial numbered either.

Scott

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
The gun is not here yet. Once it is I'll check the serial numbers for a match. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I had a 7.62 CZ52 until it blew up last fall. Still looking for a slide...
Mike

Offline tcallre

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
My factory conversion has a story. I ordered a 9mm CZ 52 and when I received it I found it was a nice surplus CZ 52. Slide and frame parked and import stamped from Century Arms International. I bought a box of FMJ 115 grn. PMC to run through it and when I attempted to chamber a round the slide wouldn't go into battery. I racked the slide again with the same results. The third attempt and the slide went into battery. I was a bit leery about shooting it so I held it at waist level, pointed it at a sand berm and fired it. I saw the bullet hit the sand and looked at the pistol and saw that the slide failed to close. I then noticed the shell casing laying on the ground looked funny and when I picked it up I saw it was only half a 9mm para case. I removed the mag and was able to close the slide and field strip it. When I examined  the barrel I saw that the top half of the shell was in the chamber and I could see the jacket of the 9mm round lodged halfway down the barrel. It was then that I realized that I had a 7.62 chambered gun and I just forced a 9mm through it. The serial numbers on the gun matched the box and the box stated that it was a 9x19 chambered gun. I called the good folks at CIA and explained the situation, they didn't say much except to return it. When I received another box it was a different creature all together. The frame looked like the old gun, military finish but the slide was beautifully polished and blued with roll marks identifying the model and it's manufacture being the Czech Republic. The barrel was plainly marked 9x19 and serial numbers all matched. While I was angry that such a mistake was made, it demonstrated the robustness of the design. I like the original military 52's but this one is prettier and a fine shooter. Once again I sure hope that folks can get a barrel order going, the original round is amazing but I prefer the availability of 9x19.

Official Disclaimer: tcallre may or may not own any and all firearms discussed in the last few years on this or any forums. tcallre may or may not possess knowledge or opinions offered on this or any forums discussed the last few years. In fact tcallre may be nothing but a posing imposter trying to fool people into thinking he may be a gun guy but may be or not be a staunch supporter of current or future Glorious Leader.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:17:27 PM by tcallre »

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:12 PM »
My 9MM CZ-52 arrived today. The serial numbers are a match. It's obviously been arsenal refinished as it has a blue-ish finish as opposed to the original parkerization.

Overall it's a nice clean gun. The barrel does not look like it's had any lead downrange. Nice a shiny bore with sharp rifling.

I'm hoping to take it out for a spin this weekend.
Mike

Offline skucera

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Sweet!

Scott

Offline dominic135

Re: CZ52 9mm conversion low down from NAGA
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 11:26:42 PM »
I know it's been a while but I've been looking at CZ52's and would buy one in a flash if I could convert  it to 9mm!
Any new facts on having barrels made? Estimated costs? Minimum order# etc.

Offline Twmaster

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 01:05:25 AM »
I cannot even remember who was making the aftermarket barrels for the 52.
Mike

Offline MikeTN

Re: CZ52 9mm conversion low down from NAGA
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
I know it's been a while but I've been looking at CZ52's and would buy one in a flash if I could convert  it to 9mm!
Any new facts on having barrels made? Estimated costs? Minimum order# etc.
I'm in the same boat ( want the 9mm conversion kit).

Any updates on this?

anything