Author Topic: New guy with a new CZ97B  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Justforfun

New guy with a new CZ97B
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:17:17 AM »
I like 1911's.   I bought the CZ 97B just to shoot the heck out it to save wear and tear on my other guns.  I'll be looking around here to learn more about the gun.

Offline derweibhai

Re: New guy with a new CZ97B
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:19:11 AM »
Welcome. You came to the right place if you want to know more about the 97, its a BIG gun. If you get them set up right, they can be as accurate and shootable as any custom 1911. If you care to customize your new CZ, check with Schmeky at CGW (lots of posts on here). He can do wonders with any CZ and his specialty is the 97B. He actually puts 1911 barrel bushings in them. 

Offline czsuby

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum from South Carolina.

Offline longsocks

• CZ - 52
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin

64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those, who do not."~Thomas Jefferson

VZ. 58

Offline Hognutz

• N.R.A. Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum from another Wisconsinite..Enjoy your new CZ..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

I have CDO. It's actually OCD but I put them in order like they should be!

Offline Justforfun

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm really liking my CZ 97B, and this forum.  The forum has enough info and how to's for me to learn about the gun.  I put a foam ear plug between the hammer and firing pin and dry fire a lot to break in as much as possible.  I haven't been able to get to the range and actually shoot it yet.  I field stripped the gun for inspection and found one large sliver of metal from machining in the slide, up front where the flat machined for the barrel transitions to the round shape.  Dry firing also lets me see the wear marks and put a little extra lube on those spots.  I dry fired enough, (with the foam ear plug in between the hammer and firing pin) until the trigger pull loosened up, and now it has a good smooth and easy trigger pull.  I have never fired a competition pistol, so "easy" means easy enough for me to not loose sight alignment when the hammer falls.

Funny thing, the CZ is bigger and heavier than my Colt or Sig 1911's, so when I go back and dry fire my 1911's, they seem small and light.

I also like the ability to use  (I think it is called the single action feature which is not found on other 1911's) the trigger as an exercise to improve my hand and finger strength and control.  I will do a very slow trigger pull, 10 to 15 seconds while holding the gun up and try to keep slight alignment the whole time until the hammer falls.  My finger and hand muscles are actually a bit sore from the exercise, but it sure appears my ability to hold sight alignment has improved. 

The sights seem a little small for my old fading eyes, but workable. 

I have noticed a bit of play between the crown end of the barrel and the barrel bushing, just enough to see a little light through when taken out of the gun and held up to a light.  I also measured .009" play between the square breach end of the barrel and slide when the barrel breach is held locked up into the slide, gun cold.  I suppose this is normal and probably get less when the gun heats up.  Yes or no?

There is no front to rear play when the barrel is locked up into the slide.

Is there a way to save threads, other forums have a User CP (user controlled posts)?   I have not been able to find it here.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:53:23 PM by Justforfun »

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
Hello and welcome from Texas.  8)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Faeruss7

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
     Welcome to the forum.
"It does not take a majority to prevail. But rather, an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
-Sam Adams

Offline Justforfun

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
I just got back from the range, shot 130 rounds.  I like it.  I like it.  I did a good bit of bench shooting and the CB 97B is more accurate than I am.  On the bench, but hand holding the gun, at 20 feet distance, I was getting some shots through the same hole, and frequently 3 of 5 shots in a 2" group .  The trigger needs more break in time and the sights are a little small for my weak eyes without glasses, but those things are fixable. 

I also shot a much lighter plastic 45 rental gun from the range.  It had bigger sights and lighter trigger, because it probably had a few thousand rounds through it all ready.   But the harsh recoil hurt my wrists to shoot it.  I had no problem with wrist pain with my CZ.  130 shots through the CZ, only 20 through the plastic 45.   

Light guns may carry better, but for me, heavy guns shoot better

Offline James1

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Welcome from Australia mate.
CZ75B Limited Edition.
CZ452 Lux.

anything